Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a letter stating I have a free extended warranty to 100k miles or 2018 because my 2014 boxster was considered a "demonstration" car. Dealer said it was sitting on the interior display room for about a year, hence I got 18% off msrp. It was sold as new and had about 200 miles on it. I was never told it was a demo car...

Trying to figure out if this is a good or bad thing... I read that dealers will designate a car "demo" to hide that they have not been able to sell for a while. What I don't like is I'm sure those 200 miles included plenty of flooring in test drives before the car was warmed up...it's what the dealer did to me. Test drive route they use is about 12-15 miles, so that would mean it was test driven about about 25 times over 1 year.

Car drives perfect and has zero flaws in interior or exterior. It arrived to the dealer in nov 2013 has a 2014 model.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would say you got made...You would have been totally fine not receiving that so the fact they sent you this is great. theoretically, a lot could have happened to the car but most probably did not and you got a great deal. If you want you can inquire further about the demo status, but I'm sure they will say it was fine and nothing remarkable happened. Overall, you would have kept the car anyway so this is great and a peace of mind should something come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Personally....I would be happy with that. Drive the crap out of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That's awesome. 200 miles is nothing for a demo car. You'll be fine! Congrats.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Any worn parts on the side of the seats or hear knob?

If so, you got 18% off and extended warranty... Not bad.

I would ask for the oil change if I were you since it has been sitting there and testdriven off and on for a year.

Anyway, i like the color combo.

Enjoy~

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413774768.674250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
+1 what chickahoy said. They should change the oil since it is about a year old anyway. I would have it done at 1200 miles to get rid of any filings or whatever from the break in period.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I just got a letter stating I have a free extended warranty to 100k miles or 2018 because my 2014 boxster was considered a "demonstration" car. Dealer said it was sitting on the interior display room for about a year, hence I got 18% off msrp. It was sold as new and had about 200 miles on it. I was never told it was a demo car...

Trying to figure out if this is a good or bad thing... I read that dealers will designate a car "demo" to hide that they have not been able to sell for a while. What I don't like is I'm sure those 200 miles included plenty of flooring in test drives before the car was warmed up...it's what the dealer did to me. Test drive route they use is about 12-15 miles, so that would mean it was test driven about about 25 times over 1 year.

Car drives perfect and has zero flaws in interior or exterior. It arrived to the dealer in nov 2013 has a 2014 model.
I honestly wouldn't worry about the test drives. Porsche runs the engines pretty hard before they put them in a car. Besides, you got an extended warranty. I never got one of those and my first Cayman was a loaner. :(

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Don't worry about it. With the extended warranty Porsche is standing behind the car and the test drives were unlikely to have done any damage. People buy used cars and don't worry about the previous owner's driving habits so why worry about a few short drives. Ignore the OCD types on here who worry about everything. The cars are made to be driven hard.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
That's a great deal ... and excellent that the dealer did this for you.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about 200 miles of use-that's peanuts.

The 18% off sticker is a lot of money. I got 6% off an ordered car and thought I did well. A friend bought a Porsche "executive driven" car that
had 6K on it and got about 15% off. You got a great deal--a lot off and very few miles on it.

Regarding the warranty, it sounds like you have the typical 4 years from date of purchase? The original warranty was probably "punched" when the dealer put it in stock when it started as a demo car. You might want to check again the date of when your warranty expires; usually a CPO warranty runs 6 years/100K miles from the original punch date that the car enters service.
A 100K mileage warranty is nice if you drive car a lot but typically Porsche owners don't put on that kind of miles over 6 years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about 200 miles of use-that's peanuts.

The 18% off sticker is a lot of money. I got 6% off an ordered car and thought I did well. A friend bought a Porsche "executive driven" car that
had 6K on it and got about 15% off. You got a great deal--a lot off and very few miles on it.

Regarding the warranty, it sounds like you have the typical 4 years from date of purchase? The original warranty was probably "punched" when the dealer put it in stock when it started as a demo car. You might want to check again the date of when your warranty expires; usually a CPO warranty runs 6 years/100K miles from the original punch date that the car enters service.
A 100K mileage warranty is nice if you drive car a lot but typically Porsche owners don't put on that kind of miles over 6 years.
Bingo, the 4 year warranty is standard on all new cars anyway. Unless you plan on driving that car a hell of a lot, you got the sleaves from their vest.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I'd say it's a great deal!

200 miles is nothing. Our cars made to be driven. So why worry about it being driven???

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
2018 718 GTS
7 Posts
I had a similar experience. I purchased a new 2008 Boxster in September of 2009 with 82 miles on the clock. A year later the service department informed me that the car was placed in service in August of 2008 and I only had 2 years left on my warranty instead of 3 years. The Sales Manager of the dealership could not explain to me how this happened but he wanted to correct the problem.
He offered me a 2 year aftermarket extended warranty that I refused. He then offered a 10 year extended warranty that I also refused.
I wrote a letter to Porsche and they said the dealer made the error and it was up to the dealer to fix it.
I then received a call from the General Manager. I informed him what my concerns were with an aftermarket extended warranty and why I would not accept it. I negotiation with the General Manager and had the car CPOed providing a 2 year Porsche OEM warranty. I also had the cabin and engine air filter replaced.
I still lost a year on my emissions warranty.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I honestly wouldn't worry about the test drives. Porsche runs the engines pretty hard before they put them in a car. Besides, you got an extended warranty. I never got one of those and my first Cayman was a loaner. :(
+1, I know for a fact, Mercedes randomly take brand new cars off the line to their test tracks. And I know they are not keeping it under 4K RPM. When I asked them about it, the tour guide just smiled and said if you want to follow the break in period then do it otherwise, just drive it and not worry about it. 200 miles is not a concern for me, 2 years of extended warranty is an added bonus.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback.

In all cars I've every owned/bought, none of them had issues under 100k miles, but most of them had something go wrong past that, mostly wear and tare related.

About the requirement of 'warming up' prior to driving hard...though it makes 'mechanical' sense to me, I find doing a single instance of redline will warm up the car, opposed to 15-20 min of grandma driving, depending on the weather. If you always have to wait for the car to warm up, you can't really drive it unless you, like me, take 45 min to 1 hour commutes.

I did realize something... the letter states I have the warranty till nov/2018, which included a bonus 12 months. This must mean my car got demo status the same day the dealer got it (Nov 2013) and the warranty started ticking! This means the car came in PLANNED to be a demo car.

I do like that I got the mile boost because I drive 20-25k per year since this is my daily driver. Since the warranty expires nov/2018, that's 4 years from now and around the time where I would get 100k miles. Plus trading in a car with warranty is always a big plus for dealers if I wanted to do that. Dealer wanted almost 9k to extend the warranty by 4 years, 120k miles...from aftermarket because Porsche doesn't sell extended warranties (big 'hell no' for me for course). So getting this for free, I suppose I can add 8k-9k to the 11k I got off MSRP.

In summary, this is seems like a nice benefit. I just don't like that fact that I thought I was buying a new car and not told it was demo, but end of the day, doesn't see why it matters. A car is going to be driven and lose its virginity pretty quick unless you're a collector who bought it to polish and display. I need to ask the dealer about this...they did mention it was inside the display room for a while and the US was just getting the 981 in mid-late 2013.

·
Registered
309 Posts
*snip* About the requirement of 'warming up' prior to driving hard...though it makes 'mechanical' sense to me, I find doing a single instance of redline will warm up the car, opposed to 15-20 min of grandma driving, depending on the weather. *snip*
I'm not sure this practice is best for the engine. The viscosity of the oil isn't really at its best until its heated through. Although, I guess with today's synthetics there is still probably much better cold lubrication than there used to be. Actually, I'd love for some others, to chime in here. Mostly for selfish purposes, because I have a pretty short commute to work, and with how long I've heard people say it takes this car to heat up, I could be nearly all the way to work before the engine even warms enough to start playing with it. I figure I'd warm it in the driveway at idle for a little longer to compensate, lol. If all I had to do with blip it to redline, :D.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Giving you 4 years like most of us get (instead of 4 years from when they first got the car) is simply what they should do. The big deal is the price. You made out like a bandit, helped no doubt by the fact that the 2015s are out. Don't worry about the 200 potentially hard miles on a car that wasn't broken in. Many many owners have violated the "keep it under 4000 revs for 2000 miles) rule and while it may not be the best way to go, I've read plenty of posts where people had no problems down the road despite violating the rule. For many years, my circumstances have demanded a bunch of short trips, which is also bad for the car, even beyond break-in period. 'Gotta do it. It's where I often need to go. And yet, despite being given all kinds of lectures about how bad it is for the engine, I've never had any engine problems--just the endless electrical stuff that happens to BMWs (in 2 E46s) and virtually nothing going wrong for 20 years in the other car (MR2 Turbo). If this were anything but a Porsche, I'd add, "You have to understand it's not a Toyota, so stuff will break." But much of the reported reliability data on late model Porsches suggest they are, on average, exceptionally reliable and may even match Toyota!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is exactly the scenario on my 2014 Cayman. I was very happy to get the extended warranty letter in the mail. I'm wasn't concerned with the 200 miles on mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts