Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 11405

I would appreciate any advise regarding this onboard computer readout, which was taken from the car I am purchasing: CPO, 2007 Cayman, 13,650 miles, 19" sports chrono and PASM.

The dealer rep says no worries, even though he states it has been over the redline. He says it meets Porsche CPO requirements.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
View attachment 11405

I would appreciate any advise regarding this onboard computer readout, which was taken from the car I am purchasing: CPO, 2007 Cayman, 13,650 miles, 19" sports chrono and PASM.

The dealer rep says no worries, even though he states it has been over the redline. He says it meets Porsche CPO requirements.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
This link may help you:

Planet-9 - FAQ: Cayman Technical Data

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Gray area advice is harder to get. We'd readily give advice if it had only Range 1 ignitions or had some Range 6 ignitions.

My guess is that there is no engine damage beyond the extra wear. If it qualifies for CPO status, that's probably their guess too.

Some cautious types would probably advise to look elsewhere, while others would say that engine has not been harmed in the least. Some of the former have probably never taken their engines to red-line, and some of the latter probably have even more ignitions in Range 4.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
12 ignitions in range 4 is nothing to worry about?
No, not really. That means each plug fired twice in range 4, and at that high of RPMs, it didn't even spend 1/4 second there. If there were 12,000 ignitions in range 4, then I'd be concerned. These were all put there by someone bumping the limiter a few times - you can tell by the progression of less ignitions as you you go up the range scale - if someone had missed a shift, you'd see a lot more ignitions in range 3 and 4. The hits in range 3 and 4 also occurred at the same time - they have the same, exact hour of operation noted. Those number of ignitions on range 1 and 2 are no a big deal.

brad

·
Registered
510 Posts
No, not really. That means each plug fired twice in range 4, and at that high of RPMs, it didn't even spend 1/4 second there. If there were 12,000 ignitions in range 4, then I'd be concerned. These were all put there by someone bumping the limiter a few times - you can tell by the progression of less ignitions as you you go up the range scale - if someone had missed a shift, you'd see a lot more ignitions in range 3 and 4. The hits in range 3 and 4 also occurred at the same time - they have the same, exact hour of operation noted. Those number of ignitions on range 1 and 2 are no a big deal.

brad
Okay. That's very good to know. What's the point of asking to see the over-rev printout if one doesn't know how to interpret the information.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
What's the point of asking to see the over-rev printout if one doesn't know how to interpret the information.

Thanks!
Read the info at the other end of the FAQ link provided above, and you'll be "in the know..."

BTW, using Gator Bite's formula in the FAQ, 12 ignitions means it spent .03 (three hundredths) of a second there.

brad

·
Registered
510 Posts
Read the info at the other end of the FAQ link provided above, and you'll be "in the know..."

BTW, using Gator Bite's formula in the FAQ, 12 ignitions means it spent .03 (three hundredths) of a second there.

brad
Yeah.... that won't do any harm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you to all for your expert assistance. I'm feeling better, now. When you are making this big an investment, you WORRY. When I had my 356B Super 90 a long time ago, it was a "less sophisticated" car and it just fired up and away you went. All you had to worry about was it deciding to chase its tail 360 degrees (twice and, yes, I thank the Good Lord I'm here to start down the Porsche road again and did not harm anyone else). I hope this will be my wife's and my "baby" for a long time to come.

Again, many thanks to the experts. I hope you all have a great Christmas and wonderful 2010.:thanks:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts