Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my speakers a blown, I know nothing about car audio. Just looking to have exact fit speakers just to replace my blown units. Thank you in Advance!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think Crutchfield is correct? I just selected a 2010 Cayman S non-Bose and it doesn't seem to be telling me the right sizes. No listing for the rear speakers, for example, and it's telling me 5-1/4" for the lower doors, which I'm pretty sure are actually 8"?

I'd maybe do some more research on sizes before trusting them. Also note that if it's just the foam that's shot (which is apparently pretty common) it's possible to re-foam your existing cones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think Crutchfield is correct? I just selected a 2010 Cayman S non-Bose and it doesn't seem to be telling me the right sizes. No listing for the rear speakers, for example, and it's telling me 5-1/4" for the lower doors, which I'm pretty sure are actually 8"?

I'd maybe do some more research on sizes before trusting them. Also note that if it's just the foam that's shot (which is apparently pretty common) it's possible to re-foam your existing cones.
I would hate to take my door apart and see a different size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sometimes what Crutchfield lists as fitting does not match the original. Car manufacturers often have speakers of unusual dimensions, for instance very shallow to fit in their doors. So there is no generic replacement that fits—speaker companies would need to make custom speakers. So Crutchfield recommends smaller speakers it carries that with adapters will still fit. That said, OEM speakers are often terrible and a smaller, quality replacement would be an upgrade. I experienced this with my VW GTI. Model specific speaker packages tend to be made by European manufacturers for German cars so maybe look to European distributors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Over the years I have purchased several systems from Crutchfield. Things change but in my experience their free technical support was both informative and not a sales presentation. If you see a product you like I'd phone them and see what a one to one conversation yields about fitment. You won't be the first Porsche owner to call so maybe they will have a recommendation for you, it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Non-Bose don't have speakers in the rear AFAIK. At least my 2009 non-Bose does not. I had all the plastics off in the rear recently when I replaced my struts and there is nothing under there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm not sure if the Boxster does, but the Cayman with Sound System Plus has two rear speakers, at least in my 2010 CS. One of mine was cutting in and out and it turned out to be a broken connector at the speaker. Easy to fix but a real PITA to get to.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Someplace out on the Interwebs - probably either here or on RennLists 987/981 forum - there is a thread about replacing the stock speakers, and someone listed ones for the "woofers" (bottom speakers) that are an exact fit. I'm not going to search for it - but if you're interested - at least you have some places to look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All my speakers a blown, I know nothing about car audio. Just looking to have exact fit speakers just to replace my blown units. Thank you in Advance!
I was in the same position,
20200616_131047.jpg
20200616_131704.jpg
here are a few pictures of what it looks like inside my 2007 Cayman S. My son has a fab shop and made me some aluminum adapter rings to make standard size speakers fit, I could not find direct replacements for my CS from Crutch field. I purchased the woofer from Amazon and the mid ranges from local audio shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
when I replaced my 4 speaker set (non Bose) the set that fit was
  • 16cm diameter for door speakers, 66.5mm mounting depth
  • 2.5cm for the dash mounted tweeters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts