Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son-in-law and daughter are moving there in a few weeks.

Any advice which Porsche dealership is recommended?

Anything else to look out for?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Later,
Andy

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Bellevue is separate city to the east and across the lake from Seattle. It has a different mindset from Seattle.

The Porsche dealer in Bellevue is expensive and has an attitude that keeps me away. Your daughter's experience may be different.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I have been to Barrier Porsche a few times, seemed like a friendly bunch... no car purchases there though.

As for the weather, much like where I am from, yes there is rain, sometimes a lot of it and occasionally snow, I would recommend a good winter tire on a Porsche for the time between Oct 1 and March 31st. (I run Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just to be contrary, I think winter tires for Seattle is overkill. A good set of all season tires, in lieu of summer only tires will do you just fine. When it snows again, vary rarely, keep the Porsche in the garage. lol

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Just to be contrary, I think winter tires for Seattle is overkill. A good set of all season tires, in lieu of summer only tires will do you just fine. When it snows again, vary rarely, keep the Porsche in the garage. lol
No need to be contrary! ;)

But unless you have experienced the sleet to wet snow freeze in the Pacific North West you wouldn't understand, you could leave in the morning and everything is fine and by 4PM be lucky to even traverse the slightest incline as the slush freezes beneath your tires to ice, so much for leaving it in the garage! You may have only one chance to avoid an accident and saying all you have to do is take it easy is like saying I'll put on my seatbelt if I think I am going to crash...

All seasons are IMHO a compromise to these cars I run performance summer and performance winters to enjoy the best of both worlds, personally I didn't spend over $100,000 to cut corners on one of the most overlooked safety item on the car.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Regarding wintry weather, much of Seattle/Bellevue winter is reasonably to well above freezing, but generous in terms of rain.
So in a sense, dedicated performance winters might be overkill, but then again not if they are as good as all seasons in rain.
What You Need To Know About Winter Tires | Edmunds

Performance summers are NOT a good winter choice in SEattle/Bellevue area because daytime and transition (early morning and late evening) temps can be around 40-50 degrees F, making summer tires questionable.

The alternative is to have alternative transportation and save cars with performance summers for only winter days that are warm enough. Or do the compromise of all seasons all the time.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Regarding wintry weather, much of Seattle/Bellevue winter is reasonably to well above freezing, but generous in terms of rain.
So in a sense, dedicated performance winters might be overkill, but then again not if they are as good as all seasons in rain.
What You Need To Know About Winter Tires | Edmunds

Performance summers are NOT a good winter choice in SEattle/Bellevue area because daytime and transition (early morning and late evening) temps can be around 40-50 degrees F, making summer tires questionable.

The alternative is to have alternative transportation and save cars with performance summers for only winter days that are warm enough. Or do the compromise of all seasons all the time.
I agree with your statement about summer tires, poor choice for the 'winter season' in Seattle and will add that I live in the region and experience the conditions, even modest changes in altitude and distance from the water changes the conditions. I do find interesting that people from California are responding... did you guys live here? :hilarious:

I have been using the Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II for 3 years in the rain and snow, incredible grip in all winter conditions, I travel over passes that require winter tires by law only to return to roads on the other side that are clear and dry that obviously don't require snow tires, but again would I gamble my safety and that of others by taking the chance, no!

My final words will be about using alternate transportation, it is far less expensive to have a second set of tires/wheels then to buy, insure and maintain a second car for changing winter conditions, if you need let's say a truck for other things then sure, but if you only have one car (a Porsche), your daily driver, up here two sets of tires/wheels are quite the norm.

BTW, great discussion guys!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Answer is 'Yup'. And I spent enough time in BC to cautiously offer that the climate there differs a bit from Seattle, especially in winter (where rain in Seattle is regularly something less liquid in BC)

:cheers:
Ahhhh, I am in Victoria and we either send our weather to Seattle or Bellingham or get it from there depending on the direction the wind blows!

Reactions: 1028Caymn
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.