Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one thing i would really enjoy is hearing about the simple driving pleasures of your cayman. just simple fun of driving which i think is missing in the modern somewhat anti car era. let me start it off.
.....yesterday i got my 6pd manual cayman base 3 days before my 71st birthday (yikes). all nerves and anticipation since i had not driven a stick in about 10 years. i put the clutch i, turn the key in the sport mode. the engine fires with a great subdued but aggressive sound. i slip the clutch with the gears in first. its moving! it didnt stall . boy, does it sound good. a few minutes later im going down franklin road in nashville, feeling like im in a super car exotic ( im such a kid). what the hell! folks are waiving and giving me the thumbs up. i punch it and the sonorous roar ascends ( of course, im under 5 grand). what a sound. what a feeling. i make it home. turn the key off and just admire the great machine in my humble (for sure) driveway. my day is blessed and so am i for being able to have a machine like this no matter how fleeting a time.:dance:

·
Registered
121 Posts
one thing i would really enjoy is hearing about the simple driving pleasures of your cayman. just simple fun of driving which i think is missing in the modern somewhat anti car era. let me start it off.
.....yesterday i got my 6pd manual cayman base 3 days before my 71st birthday (yikes). all nerves and anticipation since i had not driven a stick in about 10 years. i put the clutch i, turn the key in the sport mode. the engine fires with a great subdued but aggressive sound. i slip the clutch with the gears in first. its moving! it didnt stall . boy, does it sound good. a few minutes later im going down franklin road in nashville, feeling like im in a super car exotic ( im such a kid). what the hell! folks are waiving and giving me the thumbs up. i punch it and the sonorous roar ascends ( of course, im under 5 grand). what a sound. what a feeling. i make it home. turn the key off and just admire the great machine in my humble (for sure) driveway. my day is blessed and so am i for being able to have a machine like this no matter how fleeting a time.:dance:
I know that feeling very well. I took delivery of my 981BS in the summer of 2012, and every time I turn the key......!!!! Wow!! It just never gets old!!!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I know that feeling very well. I took delivery of my 981BS in the summer of 2012, and every time I turn the key......!!!! Wow!! It just never gets old!!!
Exactly! Had my 981 for 15 months and it still amazes. Loved the 986, and the 914 gives me grins!

Reactions: mrfredsporty

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
It's nice to have a car that is a pleasure to drive . . . even when I'm just driving to Lowe's. :cheers:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great post and kudos to you for getting a manual after not having driven one for 10 years! You are doing it right!
Enjoy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like to think that the more times you look back at the car as you walk away...the more you love it.

I almost always look back 3 times ;P

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well done. You don't look a day over 55 in your pic.
And the car suits you. enjoy the machine.

Live everyday as if you are going to die tomorrow is my motto.

What's your secret to good health and young thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Drove to the AACA Museum in Hershey yesterday to view the Lotus exhibit. Which was fantastic, by the way! The exhibit ends Sunday, April 26 so you still have a couple of days to catch it if you're in the area. After leaving the museum I thought I'd take some back roads on the way home. Got totally lost and had a blast! :dance: Lots of twisty, hilly roads with little or no traffic except for an old farm pickup that insisted on doing 25mph for several miles! Nice day, nice ride. When I finally found my way back, I ended up putting over 80 miles on the GTS. Still less than 1,000 total miles so I couldn't wring the most out of the car. :naughty:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can only echo your enthusiastic sentiments! Great to hear about us advanced-in-years (from my reckoning, you must be all of 8 months older than I am) enjoying the Cayman - wait until that 4K rpm barrier is gone. I guess we should thank all these youngsters for continuing to pay into Social Security.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gee, thanks for the nice words. i dont look it but im a big exerciser. started when i was 57. do weights 2-3x a week. do kettlebell swings 1-2x a week. work very hard at home depot in the paint dept with much younger folks.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
My CS will be turning four this June, love affair is still hot, not one ding on a door or fender, friends still can't come to grip why I use the furthest parking slot ......this car has become my sanity check for South Florida traffic! Congrats on your car! Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like to think that the more times you look back at the car as you walk away...the more you love it.

I almost always look back 3 times ;P

So true. I get so few chances to look at my car from afar that I actually try to find places to park where the wife and I can look at it while we eat etc.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to the Hershey/Porsche swap meet last weekend from Va. Had a blast. We then went to the AACA Museum to see the Lotus exhibit. Loved it, but was blown away by the Tuckers.

We took the interstate up and the back roads home. I'll take the back roads both ways next time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts