Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a PLX OBD II Multi Gauge that I have had for a year and didn't have the time to install. Hardwired and mounted on steering column. Haven't had time to program it to default to the gauge and screen I want but it seems to read everything the ECU does.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Nice! What things can it display?
Pretty much anything that the OBDII port outputs:

I have one of these too, but I have yet to find a suitable place to mount it!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but what's this PLX OBD II Multi Gauge used for? And why would someone need it?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Thank you Interpol, I already visited their website... but can't figure out why would someone need this info displayed in front of him.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thank you Interpol, I already visited their website... but can't figure out why would someone need this info displayed in front of him.
The device is capable of displaying virtually any data that comes out of the OBDII port in real time. Have you seen what kind of parameters most modern cars (including Porsche) can output? The selection and variability is astounding. The OBDII port isn't just for error codes and PIWIS programming.

Obviously this is not really a must-have for anyone, but it is a very flexible way to display additional information that the OEM gauges do not supply. The Cayman already has a digital speed display in addition to the analog display - do you also question the necessity of this as well?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe I also read that oil pressure is not available at the OBDII port.

Supposedly the Aim mini cam with an adapter will read/log oil pressure and temperature along with a number of other parameters from the CAN bus.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Pity that oil pressure isn't one of them to the best of my knowledge.
That is correct. Realtime oil pressure values are not output thru the OBDII port.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What sort of connector is used to connect to the CAN Bus? I want to get all systems data and put in into a real-time data historian I sell to manufacturing and power plants. Once I can get the data streams into this package you can do some serious data analysis to like race teams do. I know there are packages our out there but I like to do things the hard way. The interface (connectors) and the protocol used is what I need to learn about.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Installed a PLX OBD II Multi Gauge that I have had for a year and didn't have the time to install. Hardwired and mounted on steering column. Haven't had time to program it to default to the gauge and screen I want but it seems to read everything the ECU does.
Spydr,

Nice device. I had one on my Toyota FJ Cruiser to keep an eye on the fuel mileage. However, the Cayman S already provides that information.

Too bad the gauge looks somewhat out of place on the steering column; what other locations did you consider?

Semper Fi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts