Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken a lightly used Tubi exhaust off of my 987.2 Cayman S. I had a guy on eBay offer $1400 for it (they sell new for $3400) saying that he'd need to get it professionally cleaned which would cost him a few hundred dollars.

I googled around it it looks like this would primarily consist of polishing the tips and possibly parts of the body.

I'm pretty good with elbow grease in claying, waxing, buffing my car so I'm thinking of making a weekend project of polishing this exhaust before selling it.

So my questions.
Has anyone else heard of cleaning an aftermarket exhaust?
Do you think I'll be able to ask more for the exhaust with it cleaned? Personally I'd imagine only the tips would matter but I can see how it would look better in photos.
What do you think one of these exhausts should be worth? I was figuring if it's $3400 new that $2000 wasn't unreasonable maybe allowing a little room to get talked down.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had a Tubi on a Gen 1 for several years. It was total junk after 30,000 miles and I replaced it with a FabSpeed. I don't think a Tubi was ever worth $3400 and when you go to sell it you're competing with new systems made by many manufacturers selling for less then $2000. I'd take the $1400 offered and not bother cleaning. When my system failed I did look for a used replacement and found one at about $1100 but it was in England.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had some success cleaning stainless exhaust pipes using 'Bar Keepers Friend'. Takes a bit of elbow grease but really works, better than any spray cleaner or polish. Good luck....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts