Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Are you interested in a Polyurethane bumper for your Porsche?

• Yes I am interested, tell me more!

Votes: 63 45.7%
  • Maybe, depends on some factors

Votes: 45 32.6%
  • No, not interested at all

Votes: 30 21.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a potential sponsor for this site who has the ability to take various Porsche factory bumpers and adapt them to other Porsche model cars. For example adapting a 997 GT3 bumper to a 986 Boxster, or a 997 GT2 to a Cayman, etc.

These bumpers are Porsche factory parts that are altered by the sponsor to fit together into a single polyurethane bumper that will fit a model Porsche other than the one originally intended.

This is accomplished via cutting each bumper then "welding" them together with a polyurethane plastic welding process. The resulting weld is then sanded, primed and the bumper ready for painting. Once finished it is a lightweight and flexible polyurethane part with the factory mounting points because it is a combination of 2 factory bumpers.

This potential sponsor has asked about interest among our members for his products. He can create front and/or rear bumpers, whatever the buyer is looking for. Obviously if the new bumper contains a new style of parking or fog light the buyer would have to buy those lights from some source, he only works with the polyurethane bumpers themselves.

I promised to run an interest survey and send him the results, if he believes them to be promising enough he will come onboard as a sponsor and offer special pricing and services to our members. Therefore, if you are interested in such a bumper (front and/or rear) please respond to the survey.

As for price, it depends on what bumpers your want to combine and where you source the bumper from, for example you can source a perfectly good 986 Boxster front bumper from many salvage yards and then buy say a new GT2 bumper from a Porsche parts supplier and combine those for not much more than the price of the GT2 bumper. This potential sponsor can source bumpers for you or you can send him your own bumper, although you'd have to pay the shipping both ways, so depending upon your location one or the other may be cheaper. Remember this could be almost any Porsche model so it applies to a 996 owner wanting to have a 997 front nose, a Boxster owner wanting a GT2 bumper, etc.

Here are some photos of examples of his work:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can't afford it but I must say that is a fantastic looking bumper on that Boxster and I think this is a way better option than most aftermarket bumper solutions I have seen for the Cayman!!

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't afford it but I must say that is a fantastic looking bumper on that Boxster and I think this is a way better option than most aftermarket bumper solutions I have seen for the Cayman!!
Since there isn't any pricing yet, how do you know you can't afford it? :) I've talked to them already about a Gen 2 997 GT3 front bumper and it so far seemed surprisingly affordable to me. :)

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be sure and check out: http://www.planet-9.com/site-vendors-sponsors/34703-new-sponsor-z-art.html#post379125

As for price, Z-Art can get bumpers at a hefty discount and from a variety of sources, for example if you wanted the GT2 bumper they could get any old 987 front bumper (Boxster or Cayman) and cut the upper portion out, this could be from a salvage yard bumper as long as the top section is good. Then they'd weld that to the GT2 bumper, probably a direct factory ordered one since you won't likely find one in a salvage yard. Then yes combine that with the lights and wiring which there are already solutions for if you go LED and you'd have a true GT2 look on your Cayman made from factory parts.

I am told the cost would be less than if you just tried to go order a new GT2 bumper from Porsche, but of course will depend upon a variety of factors of what you are combining, what parts are available, and what Z-Art can get the factory parts for given their connections to Porsche suppliers in Europe.

If you are interested I would suggest at least talking to them about it and see what kind of pricing you can get. I know they are looking at some group buy possibilities, as well as if someone has say a GT2 bumper done in PU they could also make a GRP mold from that and sell GRP to those who want that instead (which should be less expensive still).

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be interested in the GT2 bumper. Any updates on this ?
We are supposed to be having a conference call on Thursday about this, so as soon as I have more details I will let everyone know.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
let me 2nd that. a polyurethane current gen GT2 bumper but with cayman front lights would look awesome - very clean. i just wonder where they would cut/join and whether we'd get a durable & perfect fit & finish?

any update on the feasibility of this?

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
How about Polyurethane front splitters that replace the OEM ones? That would be fantastic. Like the aerokit but a bit more aggressive.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let me 2nd that. a polyurethane current gen GT2 bumper but with cayman front lights would look awesome - very clean. i just wonder where they would cut/join and whether we'd get a durable & perfect fit & finish?

any update on the feasibility of this?
I just heard from the maker yesterday in fact and need to get back to them on this. AFAIK it lasts just like any other bumper after being joined.

With respect to splitters I don't know if they are making any new parts or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello to every body, in the next few days I will try to explain what we are able to do and will send prices and pic.
Best Regards from switzerland

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Hello to every body, in the next few days I will try to explain what we are able to do and will send prices and pic.
Best Regards from switzerland
Now I'm interested, as you can ship to the UK no problem, I didn't think that it would be feasible to ship bumpers from the US to the UK and Europe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello again, at the moment Z-Art are able to produce 997² fiber glass and in real CARBON GT3 fronts for Cayman and Boxster 987.(model september 09 europe with day lights)
For 997 Carrera driver we can offer the 997² front and rear bumber with new day light and new tail light design. US prices will be excluding State tax and nation wide shipping.We will take order for above mentiond bumbers.
prices for Z-Art 997² Cayman/Boxster fiber glass front including GT3 front spoiler, excluding day lights, middle and le/ri frames. 1890.-- USD + max.95.--USD nation transport.
prices for Z-Art 997² Cayman/Boxster CARBON front including GT3 front spoiler, excluding day lights, middle and le/ri frames. 2390.-- USD
LED day lights can be used with out any eletronic black boxes (we try it and works)
If we can place 10 or more orders at once we can offer you 10% discount.
OEM 997² GT3 Polyurethane bumber at the moment are very rare and very expensive (more than 4300.-- USD) add 530.--USD for asemble with Cayman/Boxster front bumber and your "old " frontbumber in exchange.
Regards
Z-Art team
Andreas

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Welcome to this great forum !! I have a few questions. Can you explain what you mean by "excluding...middle and le/ri frames" ? Do you mean the lower set of mesh grills are not included? Is the upper GT3 grill included as well as the lower lip spoiler ? Is the lower lip spoiler removable and compatible with the oem lip spoiler? Is the bumper compatible with headlight washer nozzles and front tow hook? And finally, can I assume the shipping to Canada will be the same as the US? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi force4rmr,
sorry for my poor english, lower set of mesh grills and upper GT3 grill are not included but all OEM mesh and upper GT3 grill parts will fit perfect. Bumper compatible with headlight washer. I try shipping to Canada on equal terms
Thanks

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
hallo andreas,
what i'd be interested in is current generation GT2 (TWO, not 3) front bumper on an otherwise standard Cayman front (i.e. i'd like the GT2 look with the Cayman lights).

here is a picture of the front that i'm talking about:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/jv.colayco/R66PMfkxGTI/AAAAAAAAAVI/5-ipZmvWo9E/s800/GT2_1.jpg

fiberglass or even full carbon is not of interest to me - only factory style polyurethane using your "fusing" method.

is this as "rare" and costly as the GT3 example you cite above?

-aw1.

·
The driver formally known as Torque
895 Posts
hallo andreas,
what i'd be interested in is current generation GT2 (TWO, not 3) front bumper on an otherwise standard Cayman front (i.e. i'd like the GT2 look with the Cayman lights).

here is a picture of the front that i'm talking about:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/jv.colayco/R66PMfkxGTI/AAAAAAAAAVI/5-ipZmvWo9E/s800/GT2_1.jpg

fiberglass or even full carbon is not of interest to me - only factory style polyurethane using your "fusing" method.

is this as "rare" and costly as the GT3 example you cite above?

-aw1.
I too am interested in this!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts