Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently own a car with most of the bells and whistles offerred by premium (and not so premium) cars these days. Most of these gee whiz gadgets either fail to impress immediately or over time you find you rarely use them. One of the few exceptions is my multi-function steering wheel which I use all the time. Lurking around here, this option seems to lack much popularity and I am curious why? Is it because most here do not use their car as a DD and are more "track" focused?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a King Ranch F150 that is loaded with features, includin' the controls on the steering wheel. I use them all the time. I don't have that feature in my Cayman, and it doesn't really bother me. I think it's because everything is so much further away from me in the truck, than it is in the small cab of the Cayman. I have to reach in my truck to do stuff, but everything is already close to my hand in my manual Cayman, since my hand is normally right next to or on the shifter anyway. Even if I did have the controls on my steering wheel like I do in my truck, I doubt I'd use them often. The Cayman has pretty much been a daily driver since I got it. It's just too much fun to drive to let it sit in the garage.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
The controls are all close enough for me. I don't want a bunch of buttons cluttering my wheel when I'm pawing at it on the track. Plus I think it looks a lot more sporting with a clean wheel.
+1 My Passat Wagon has multi function steering wheel and every so often I inadvertently press something while in "spirited" driving mode. The CS cockpit fits me like a glove and everything is within reach thus leaving a simple thick TechArt steering wheel to take care of business. Stereo is usually off anyway so I can listen to engine and road feedback.

I do not track - just a driving enthusiast. I would not mind shift levers on the wheel though as I have shift levers on my Xbox 360 wheel and have gotten used to them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The multifunction wheel on my CS seems more ueser friendly than the one on my BMW 535. Yes, most controls are already within easy reach, but this seems even easier, and I think I can keep my eyes on the raod more. I love the rollers as opposed to buttons for volume control. But I do agree the non-multifuction wheel has a cleaner look.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's an interesting question actually. One legitimate frustration for me is that the MFSW is an expensive option whereas it was standard on my BMW. I would like to see simple volume controls and most importantly cruise control. I hate the cruise control lever on Porsche. Stupid for such an expensive car.

At first I thought the "cleaness" as Porsche might call it came down to people not wanting to hit "volume up" when they were tracking. But thinking about it, F1 has like 20 buttons. So surely, normal drivers could handle just a few. In the end, I have concluded there is no excuse, or reason, except cheapness on Porsche's part.

That said, I love the new PDK steering wheel. I would like to see those aforementioned controls added to the wheel. Then I believe we will have the perfect Porsche steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have a very heavily optioned 2010 CS but intentionally did not order the multifunction wheel. I love this wheel on my other cars but IMHO it just doesn't belong on a Cayman. I have a 6MT with SSK and love the uncluttered look of the standard wheel. I can put my hands on the wheel as I see fit without bumping buttons all the time.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I don't have any buttons, shift or otherwise on my '08 Cayman's wheel but if you want to experience the height of button insanity you should see my '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has all the radio and CD buttons on the steering wheel but on the back of the steering wheel where you can't see them. That's right. You just have to feel around there to find them and then remember which button does what on which side of the wheel and which way to push it. WOW. No wonder Chrysler didn't make it.:crazy:

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think part of it also is due to the fact that prior to Gen2, the multifunction wheel was a regular skinny triangle airbag wheel, and not the round airbag thicker sport steering wheel. So it wasn't very popular. I know I was grudgingly willing to forgo the MFSw to get the thicker feel of the sport steering wheel. Good thing my order got bumped to a 2010.

I love my MFSwheel, use it all the time. When I drive my Mazda, i find myself trying to thumb the same place on my steering wheel only to find nothing there. :) IMO, if you have PCM3.0, it is a must to have the MFWheel. If you only use the car on the track of for weekend cruising, then maybe it's not as big a deal. But I use mine as a DD, and it's handy to be able to control PCM without taking my eyes off the road especially at high speed on the freeway.

As for "clean look" and accidentally hitting buttons - I don't know, maybe it's a generational thing. I don't have a problem with hitting buttons by accident, even during aggressive/spirited driving. Like TheBookof911 said, F1 drivers are able to fiddle with brake bias and traction control settings from corner to corner, while still focusing on the track. I don't think it's a big deal. I'm used to it from years of simracing.

I didn't get PDK, so I actually think the "clean" wheel looks weird without the PDK buttons. Looks like someone took sandpaper and shaved down the wheel. :) The non-pdk wheel looks more at home with the MF buttons on it IMO.

I do agree that the extra $$ that Porsche charges for the MFSWheel option is a little excessive.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I drove an 08 Cayman S we have in inventory that has the multifunction steering wheel with the express purpose of deciding whether or not I like it.

Personally for a daily driver I think it is a great option. I have gotten use to the functionality of the multifunction wheel in the Panamera (a standard feature) and using it the Cayman is just as easy albeit without the color TFT display next to the gauges.

I don't feel as though the buttons would be in the way during DE or Track events as the shape of the wheel is such that my hands would not be very near the buttons.

The bottom line, is that on a Cayman, Boxster or 911 it would be a nice bonus feature and not a deal breaker. On a Panamera it would be greatly missed if it were not a standard feature.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the multi function steering wheel and I like it even though I have the 6MT. Volume is easy enough on either the steering wheel or PCM. However, the phone is much easier to answer on the MFSW because the buttons are small and far away. I'm also long sighted but don't normally wear glasses, so Porsche's tiny labels are hard to read on the tiny keys so scrolling using the MFSW is pretty convenient if I say want to change to the trip computer or select a new album on my iPod.

·
Porscheholic
724 Posts
From a PDK thread discussion:

I have a 2010 S with PDK and Sport Chrono installed. I was using the car on the track Monday in auto "Sports Plus" mode and the shifts were precise and predictable. The problem I had was when entering a set of quick reflex turns right/left/right.....I accidentally touched one of the buttons which immediately up shifted/down shifted and placed the transmission in manual mode...really messed things up until I figured out why I was up against the rev limiter.

I spent time last night looking for a different steering wheel and found one with paddles are Suncoast with the sports chrono option. the better option would be to turn off the steering wheel buttons ( I could turn them on later if I want to). I called the local dealer and they don't know if that is possible w/o doing some testing and programming.

Does anyone have any experience turning off the PDK steering wheel buttons?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies. As someone said above, it's a nice option but not a deal breaker. That is where I am coming down on this. I think the Gen 2 radio controls are a HUGE improvement over Gen 1, but still not that easy to manipulate while driving. I have grown accustomed to the convenience of changing stations, volume and especially mute from my steering wheel. This and ACC are probably the options on my current car that I use and appreciate the most. To be honest, I don't care much about the rest. Heated mirrors? My car is garaged so who cares? Heated seats? I'm in DC and it just doesn't get the cold. And if it is that cold, I have a coat on anyway. Power seats? I do most of the driving. You set the seat position once and forget about it. You get the idea

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
With the new electronics in the 2009 and newer cars, can the Multi-Function Steering Wheel be fitted as an add-on? Or is it still an issue with the custom wire harness each car gets at assembly? (I know with the 06-08 cars it also required having navigation to get a MFSW?)

Lots of good deals on cars sitting on dealers lots... but very few have MFSW or Sports Seats... it be nice to add a MFSW or power sports seats, later down the road if I wanted them, but I've always heard that the wire harness is the limiting factor?

I like the buttons on the steering wheel... stuck in traffic, I like to surf the channels for a good song. I'm spoiled by all other cars, its become a standard feature.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
How much is the MFSW from the factory? I remember it being a $200 item at suncoast at some point (programming additional). The price has since been bumped closer to $300, but that's still relatively inexpensive for what some people feel is a must have option.

·
Registered
501 Posts
How much is the MFSW from the factory? I remember it being a $200 item at suncoast at some point (programming additional). The price has since been bumped closer to $300, but that's still relatively inexpensive for what some people feel is a must have option.
$615 according to my MSRP window sticker. I'm not sure if buying the wheel from 3rd party still requires any additional wiring harnesses ... suncoast can probably confirm on that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.