Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK....I am almost to the point where I can no longer resist having a 1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. It will be mostly a Garage Queen.

I have a couple question for anyone that may have an opinion.

1. Can someone refer me to some kind of maintenance schedule for "Garage Queens'. I mean I no nothing about maintaining a car that is not driven daily !!

2. I like the car as artistic value....I just get a rush looking at it, however, would I be a complete fool to think having it as a Garage Queen its not going to devalue greatly ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have 3 garage queens, a 04 VW TOUAREG (14,000 mi), An 89 928S4 Porsche (84,000 mi) and a 00 Yamaha Jet Ski. Porsche has seen 1000 miles in last 4 years if that, Vw has about 400 miles every 9 months in last 4 years. Jet Ski has 14 total hours in 10 years.
I travel for months at a time so I only get to use / start a couple of weeks a year. Here is my basic formulae for preservation:
Use a good battery maintainer (float charger) or remove battery from vehicles, and store in a cool (not cold) place. Charge every 6 months if not in car.
Put 5 lbs over preassure in tires to minimise flat spots, or place vehicle on Jack Stands or chassis lift.
Use gas additive to prevent tank varnishing, also use "sea foam" to prevent moisture build up. Keep a full tank, I find this works well.
Cover vehicles with a breathable cover, after a good wash and polish.
When able to start vehicle, run for a minimum of 20 mins. Try to drive a couple of miles after warm up to maintain seals and brakes.
Use Talcum Powder on rubber parts like wiper blades and window trim. Dont use Armor All.
Lexol the seats before storage, or use hide food.
I use Amsoil synthetic, and dont change oil till required by mileage only. I will change oil filter if its been in the car for a long period as they do deteriorate. (1 to 2 years).

I had an Aerostar van outside for 2 years and rats had made a nest in the engine compartment. Beware of rats and squirrels.....they will damage wiring and most insulation materials in the vehicle if left outside too long, especially in warmer climates. (Florida). Dont leave windows down whether inside or out as dust and animals will use the vehicle for shelter(lizards especially), and they mess everywhere.

This should get you started............ I am assuming that the vehicle will be stored in a garage.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
OK....I am almost to the point where I can no longer resist having a 1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo. It will be mostly a Garage Queen.

I have a couple question for anyone that may have an opinion.

1. Can someone refer me to some kind of maintenance schedule for "Garage Queens'. I mean I no nothing about maintaining a car that is not driven daily !!

2. I like the car as artistic value....I just get a rush looking at it, however, would I be a complete fool to think having it as a Garage Queen its not going to devalue greatly ?
Speaking from a 'Garage Queen' motorcycle owner perspective, one would think that local antique and collector car clubs would have much experience with low use vehicles and how to maintain.

As for devaluation, if properly maintained, it should retain as great, or greater, a percentage of it's value as any other mode of use. That being said, my vintage motorcycle needs constant minor upkeep to keep in tip top shape (fuel stabilization, tire care, coverage, minor cleaning, etc. But, up to now at least, having the bike to look at, and very occasionally ride has been worth it. Good luck!:cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I used to own a 993TT. I completely understand the thought process. However, I have to say that car LOVES to be driven. It was my daily driver.

You should be carefull with these cars sitting idle for too long. Low millage examples had many issues (just my observation).

Buyer beware. You may not want to drive your other cars after driving that. It has great power, fantastic looks, and a TON of personality. The smells, sounds, feel of the car is not replicated in today's Porsche.

I currently drive a Cayman S. Comparibly, the Cayman is much easier to drive but doesn't provide the same performance and grin factor. The Cayman is anemic compared to the TT (no flames - just my oipinion)

That said, there are a small list of known issues with the TT that you should have during your shopping adventure. Get the list and go shopping. I'd prefer the 1997 vs the 1996 if you had to choose between the two (programmable ECU, improved 1st gear, last production year, etc)

I'm in Texas too (DFW area) - happy to help you in your search if you need it.

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm new to the Porsche world, so forgive my ignorance, but I have a curiosity question. Are the 993 holding their value so much because they are the last of the air cooled? I’ve seen them at almost 70k for clean condition and some special ones for $250k and up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Please help me understand how this Garage Queen thing works. Isn't it like having a beatiful wife, but not making love to her? I respect that you enjoy the Garage Queen situation, I just can't understand it. Show me the errors of my way of thinking.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I'm new to the Porsche world, so forgive my ignorance, but I have a curiosity question. Are the 993 holding their value so much because they are the last of the air cooled? I’ve seen them at almost 70k for clean condition and some special ones for $250k and up.
Yes for the most part it is a silly nostalgia thing, are they really worth more than say a 996 or 997 version 911? Absolutely not, unless they are something special like a Turbo S model which was very limited. People who "claim" to know what is best have artificially jacked up the price on 993s and unfortunately there are some people out there willing to pay the extra $ because they buy into the whole "last of the air cooled 911's" mystique. What they are setting themselves up for is a car that is nowhere nearly as good as a newer 996 or 997, more expensive to maintain/fix and is at risk of having the market fall out from underneath them as it did to artificially inflated Corvettes a few years ago. If you just love one, then buy it, but otherwise I think the 993 is a "risky" investment and if you just want a good Porsche to drive there are far better choices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Please help me understand how this Garage Queen thing works. Isn't it like having a beatiful wife, but not making love to her? I respect that you enjoy the Garage Queen situation, I just can't understand it. Show me the errors of my way of thinking.
This is what I think, when I think about a garage queen. It's kind of like a collectable Hotwheels car that is still in the box. Every once in a while you get the itche to hold it, so you meticulously extract it from its packing to hold in your bare hands then carefully seal it back up in its a way that it looks as if it has never been tampered with.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Yes for the most part it is a silly nostalgia thing, are they really worth more than say a 996 or 997 version 911? Absolutely not, unless they are something special like a Turbo S model which was very limited. People who "claim" to know what is best have artificially jacked up the price on 993s and unfortunately there are some people out there willing to pay the extra $ because they buy into the whole "last of the air cooled 911's" mystique. What they are setting themselves up for is a car that is nowhere nearly as good as a newer 996 or 997, more expensive to maintain/fix and is at risk of having the market fall out from underneath them as it did to artificially inflated Corvettes a few years ago. If you just love one, then buy it, but otherwise I think the 993 is a "risky" investment and if you just want a good Porsche to drive there are far better choices.
I respectfully disagree. Pretty simple really. They don't make air cooled Porsches anymore. Porsches are premium cars produced in limited number, hence the price point. When you make a fundamental change to your flagship the previous version is an instant classic. The 993 was a GREAT car in it's time and I think it's performance still holds up well today. Are there better handling or faster Porsches? Of course. I'll put my Cayman up against any 993 on the track, but that doesn't take away from the heritage of the 993.

FWIW I think the 993 may be the best looking of all the Porsches. Just MHO.

Why do I feel compelled to defend a Porsche model with the head of a Porsche website? :crazy:

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
I respectfully disagree. Pretty simple really. They don't make air cooled Porsches anymore. Porsches are premium cars produced in limited number, hence the price point. When you make a fundamental change to your flagship the previous version is an instant classic. The 993 was a GREAT car in it's time and I think it's performance still holds up well today. Are there better handling or faster Porsches? Of course. I'll put my Cayman up against any 993 on the track, but that doesn't take away from the heritage of the 993.

Why do I feel compelled to defend a Porsche model with the head of a Porsche website? :crazy:
Kehr,

I'm not saying you need to defend anything and I'm not attacking the 993, I'm simply saying that they are overpriced for what they are due to artificial market conditions which makes them risky and that many buyers don't understand the risks of buying a 993 that's all. If they hung out here they could get edjamakated in things Porsche! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Me too. I bought my Cayman to DRIVE. Sure when it rains or snows, it is cozy inside. Just like you wouldn't leave your beautiful wife in teh cold. But on a clear dry day, it begs for a drive. I guess that is why I have put 25K wonderful miles on her in under 2 years. Like having a beautiful wife and not making love to her . That image speaks volumes. Ed

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Buying a car to sit in the garage and look at it is really not the issue, hobbies are hobbies, and if that is what floats your boat go for it. OTOH, buying cars for investment purposes is another matter entirely. The high dollar original or restored w/ matching numbers air cooled 911s are generally overpriced. The market was very hot and it's beginning to cool, but there are a lot of people who think that these Porsches are automotive gold. Like anything else, if you buy during an overheated market don't expect a gain on your "investment" anytime soon. As with housing, you may take a big loss within a few months. The guy who buys a car decades ago and cashes in when it becomes a classic is not the same as the guy who buys the same car after it's been crowned a classic. If you want a 993TT for pride of ownership and very light use, do your homework and buy the best example you can afford. I would not recommend just putting the car on blocks however. As others have said the car should be driven to maintain it in the best possible condition. Just don't ding that body work!;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

For me.....its not as much like having a beautiful spouse as it is having a piece of ART that does something to your inner soul. The garage queen concept (for me) comes from the desire to preserve the ART form.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is what I think, when I think about a garage queen. It's kind of like a collectable Hotwheels car that is still in the box. Every once in a while you get the itche to hold it, so you meticulously extract it from its packing to hold in your bare hands then carefully seal it back up in its a way that it looks as if it has never been tampered with.
LOL...thats EXACTLY how it all started with my brother, he also bought nearly a hundred models but never opened the packages. His collection efforts have evolved into 4 CLASSIC corvettes, a Ron Fellows Corvette and a 2009 model (limited edition) with some ungodly amount of HP.

·
Registered
80 Posts

I think there's a lot of nostalgia tied up in the 993. It's all about the "feel" of the thing, and the fact that it's both air-cooled, and the last of the "hand-built" cars before Porsche went off and learned how to build cars relatively cheaply from the Japanese.

To your point about it being a "GREAT" car from its time: From a pure data POV, the 993s weren't that great -- especially for the $$. In fact, I remember one particular article in C&D back in 97ish that was trying to find the "best handling car in america". Lots of cars on the list. IIRC, the e36 M3 won, and the 993 (c2s in this case) was dead last; the only car deemed worse than the boxster :)

I've driven a few 993s, lusted after them constantly, and came close to buying a couple. Cool cars, but I'm personally more swayed by significantly enhanced overall performance offered by the newer generation cars. Was disappointed w/the build quality of my 996 c2, but the 997/987 series' have seemed to regain much of the quality feel of the 993 era, with vastly improved overall perf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts