Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah, apparently the entry level Porsche is now a used CPO Boxster. Thanks Porsche for helping drive down prices of used non CPO Boxsters lower than they already are. Great if you're buying not so great if you want to sell.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yeah, apparently the entry level Porsche is now a used CPO Boxster. Thanks Porsche for helping drive down prices of used non CPO Boxsters lower than they already are. Great if you're buying not so great if you want to sell.
I don't understand what you're saying.

If Porsche releases a new entry-level model, it's going to be better than a 986, which you'd think would just drive the prices of them down further. More people would be able to afford new... so more cars would eventually be on the market used... which would drive down the prices.

How does NOT introducing a new cheaper model hurt prices of used cars? You'd think the opposite would be true. People who were thinking they might be able to get a new Porsche when this new one came out will now realize that they still can't afford one and will look to the used market. More buyers. Same supply.

Have you thought this through?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The real entry level car is a (used) 914! You sit very low in one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Did you actually read what I said, read the article and do you understand a CPO pre owned Porsche? By stating that the entry level Boxster is a Porsche pre owned program Boxster he has categorized what Porsche feels is the entry level model. I doubt you will find a CPO 986 at any time and if buyers are directed to the CPO models it will make it harder to sell a non CPO model unless the price is rock bottom which is the only way you will be able to compete.
You made a statement about your opinion but turned it into an insult by adding "Have you thought this through." Perhaps in the future you will respect other people's opinions, as you expect yours to be respected, without turning a forum for opinions into a flame chamber. Have you thought this through?

I don't understand what you're saying.

If Porsche releases a new entry-level model, it's going to be better than a 986, which you'd think would just drive the prices of them down further. More people would be able to afford new... so more cars would eventually be on the market used... which would drive down the prices.

How does NOT introducing a new cheaper model hurt prices of used cars? You'd think the opposite would be true. People who were thinking they might be able to get a new Porsche when this new one came out will now realize that they still can't afford one and will look to the used market. More buyers. Same supply.

Have you thought this through?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I think a pretty high percentage of used Porsche buyers (entry level or not) see through the CPO sleight of hand. CPO prices are higher, and in the end a buyer doesn't really get anything more for their money than they would from a seller who offers a low mileage, meticulously cared for car with an equivalent extended warranty. Porsche would love the market to believe a CPO Boxster is the "entry level" offering, but in reality it's just a used Porsche like any other with an extended warranty and a little extra profit margin for the dealer. Once the warranty on both a CPO and non-CPO car is finished, the selling playing field is level...mileage and condition will determine the sales price.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
You made a statement about your opinion but turned it into an insult by adding "Have you thought this through." Perhaps in the future you will respect other people's opinions, as you expect yours to be respected, without turning a forum for opinions into a flame chamber. Have you thought this through?
Sorry... I didn't mean that at all as an insult. It really was meant at the end to suggest that with more insight, you'd see it as a positive thing.

It's hard sometimes to get things to come across exactly as they're meant in text.

I think that to the general public, Porsche's statement is "An entry level Porsche is a used Porsche". CPO is all well and good, but most people have no idea what that even means. I don't think it will deter most from buying a car.

I hate to say it, but people that can afford a CPO 987 aren't considering a 986 anyway. If all they can afford is a 986, then they won't be concerned with CPO.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I hate to say it, but people that can afford a CPO 987 aren't considering a 986 anyway. If all they can afford is a 986, then they won't be concerned with CPO.
Perfectly said, the 986 is less desirable than a 996, the 996 is a bargain 911 so the 986 is priced accordingly. The 986 price isn't going to increase anytime soon with or without new models.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Understood and I do understand your reasoning. I own a 986 and have been trying to sell it for a year and finally gave up because I wasn't getting much interest and what I did get was so low ball I would have been better off setting it on fire and claiming insurance on it. There are so many misconceptions about the early 986 that are perpetuated even today regardless of what actual facts indicate. The early 986's were not included in the class action lawsuit because they had such a low failure rate on IMS bearings yet that rumor persists and drives the perceived value down. The improvements of the 987 make it a more desirable model although the early ones had a higher IMS failure rate than the early 986's. If I were a buyer for a used Boxster, as an entry level Porsche, I would look for one that had low mileage with a warranty and CPO would be tempting given all the bad press over the IMS issue.
A majority of long time Porsche owners want a 911 as do many first time buyers of Porsches because that is the Porsche gold standard.
Given my experience in dealing with the used market, given the 981 reputation as the Boxster Porsche should have built, given the misconceptions about the early Boxsters I do not see how Porsche declaring that an entry level Porsche is a CPO Porsche will help raise the prices of used 986's or for that matter any private seller of a used Boxster. I see today's buyers as being more savvy than some on this forum give them credit for due to the vast amount of available information (and disinformation) on the internet.
Here's a good for instance of disinformation that comes up as one of the first hits on Google search about buying a used Boxster.
http://www.clunkerture.com/home/2014/6/10/driver-profile-porsche-986-boxster
Sorry... I didn't mean that at all as an insult. It really was meant at the end to suggest that with more insight, you'd see it as a positive thing.

It's hard sometimes to get things to come across exactly as they're meant in text.

I think that to the general public, Porsche's statement is "An entry level Porsche is a used Porsche". CPO is all well and good, but most people have no idea what that even means. I don't think it will deter most from buying a car.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sorry, can't agree with that. The sleight of hand gives you warranty coverage that you would not otherwise have on a car that is extremely expensive to repair. If not CPO, what sellers are offering extended warranty for 5 years and 100K miles? Yes, CPO is simply a used car but when something major goes wrong, I would rather have had the dealer take the profit but fix the car under warranty.

I think a pretty high percentage of used Porsche buyers (entry level or not) see through the CPO sleight of hand. CPO prices are higher, and in the end a buyer doesn't really get anything more for their money than they would from a seller who offers a low mileage, meticulously cared for car with an equivalent extended warranty. Porsche would love the market to believe a CPO Boxster is the "entry level" offering, but in reality it's just a used Porsche like any other with an extended warranty and a little extra profit margin for the dealer. Once the warranty on both a CPO and non-CPO car is finished, the selling playing field is level...mileage and condition will determine the sales price.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If not CPO, what sellers are offering extended warranty for 5 years and 100k miles?
Porsche offers a two-year extended warranty that can be purchased at delivery or anytime prior to expiration of the four-year new car warranty (original purchaser only). Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Approved - Pre-owned Cars - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

I will likely buy the extended warranty on my 2012 CS, which at resale time would offer the purchaser the same peace of mind warranty-wise as buying a CPO car. Anyone that thinks the CPO "checks" and "reconditioning" performed by the dealer are worth the extra cost are welcome to pay that premium. From my perspective, most of the checks are obvious (lights, electronics all working, tire life remaining etc.), while things such as brake pad thickness and accident damage would be uncovered in a PPI.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Just a question, isn't the cost of the extended warranty pretty much the same as the cost of the CPO? Additionally, if you're talking buying used, the extended warranty isn't available to you.

Porsche offers a two-year extended warranty that can be purchased at delivery or anytime prior to expiration of the four-year new car warranty (original purchaser only). Porsche Approved Certified Limited Warranty - Porsche Approved - Pre-owned Cars - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

I will likely buy the extended warranty on my 2012 CS, which at resale time would offer the purchaser the same peace of mind warranty-wise as buying a CPO car. Anyone that thinks the CPO "checks" and "reconditioning" performed by the dealer are worth the extra cost are welcome to pay that premium. From my perspective, most of the checks are obvious (lights, electronics all working, tire life remaining etc.), while things such as brake pad thickness and accident damage would be uncovered in a PPI.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I bought my Boxster used from a non Porsche dealer and a three year warranty that I didn't want but it had a thirty day full refund if I wasn't happy with it. About 20 days into the warranty my Indy found an oil leak that he claimed was the RMS. The warranty company sent an inspector out who examined the car and declared it was a pre existing condition and the dealer should have caught it in their inspection and fixed it. The warranty company refused to honor the claim and the dealer said it wasn't included in their "50 point safety inspection." I cancelled the warranty and got a refund. If Porsche inspects a car and puts their CPO warranty on it and honors repairs under the warranty I wouldn't care if they only inspected the side lights, what matters is how they honor the warranty.
Does a CPO warranty contain fine print weasel words like the warranty I had or do they really cover any repair during the time of the warranty? If they do the warranty is well worth the expense.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just a question, isn't the cost of the extended warranty pretty much the same as the cost of the CPO? Additionally, if you're talking buying used, the extended warranty isn't available to you.
CPO costs more...dealer told me they tack on a couple of grand (more or less) for CPO in addition to what the warranty costs by itself. Lots of used cars have the Porsche extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I see. I still think the CPO is worth the cost but understand your position. My car had 3000 miles on it when I purchased and did not have an extended warranty. The CPO cost was negotiated out of the purchase price and I had peace of mind. We are all different in our needs and comfort levels but my feeling is that if I'm spending $100K or so, an extra 1 to 2% is worth it to me.

CPO costs more...dealer told me they tack on a couple of grand (more or less) for CPO in addition to what the warranty costs by itself. Lots of used cars have the Porsche extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I bought my Boxster used from a non Porsche dealer and a three year warranty that I didn't want but it had a thirty day full refund if I wasn't happy with it. About 20 days into the warranty my Indy found an oil leak that he claimed was the RMS. The warranty company sent an inspector out who examined the car and declared it was a pre existing condition and the dealer should have caught it in their inspection and fixed it. The warranty company refused to honor the claim and the dealer said it wasn't included in their "50 point safety inspection." I cancelled the warranty and got a refund. If Porsche inspects a car and puts their CPO warranty on it and honors repairs under the warranty I wouldn't care if they only inspected the side lights, what matters is how they honor the warranty.
Does a CPO warranty contain fine print weasel words like the warranty I had or do they really cover any repair during the time of the warranty? If they do the warranty is well worth the expense.
My 997 was CPO'ed and during the PPI, my RMS leak was detected, I brought it anyways b/c of the CPO. Took it to my local dealer to get my first complimentary oil change and they said my RMS was leaking. They fixed it under CPO warranty. My dealer also send me a reminder to bring it in before CPO expires so they can fix everything before it expired. The only warranty work needed was the RMS, everything else worked fine and just needed the standard maintenance.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Most used cars will need some kind of repair or maintenance work done to them and bringing them up to CPO standards generally will cost the dealer something and that cost is always passed on to the next buyer, thus the higher cost of the vehicle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts