Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I found myself behind a 928 RS driving around my neighborhood. I thought I knew Porsches pretty well and didn't recall ever hearing about a 928 RS. It also had a really nice fin on the back (not too big) but looked great and it had huge wide tires on the back. The car looked and sounded great! I passed him with the top down and we both looked at each other, waived and grinned from ear to ear.

When I got on the internet and did a search, I found out there was not a 928RS ever built. It must have been all after market mod stuff. Anybody else have any other details or thoughts?

·
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a PS on the internet. It came out in 1992.
I've never heard of a "PS". I mentioned "RS". :)

Can you post that link anyway?

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
RS, as in GT3RS means Renn Sport, the stripped down car, light weight, tweaked suspension, faster engine. Better than than the GT3 model. If it were GT3RSR that would be the real race version.

There was no 928RS. Therefore, I conclude its just like those cars that might say "Cayman GT", which means whatever the owner thinks it means.

Example 928 RS Concept Sketch - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

http://flussigmagazine.com/1/post/2014/04/matt-marianis-porsche-928rs-update.html

http://www.patina9.com/3/post/2013/09/porsche-928-rswhat-zuffenhausen-would-have-built.html

·
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think the RS, as in GT3RS means Renn Sport. If it were GT3RSR that would be the real race version.

There was no 928RS. Therefore, I conclude its just like those cars that might say "Cayman GT", which means whatever the owner thinks it means.

Example 928 RS Concept Sketch - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

matt mariani's porsche 928RS update - f l ü s s i g m a g a z i n e
That's cool. Totally different wing that I saw though. I should have taken a picture.

The wing looked similar to this 928 S4 below except better - not quite the same:

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Well, you know the concept of a RS in the 928 makes little sense.

The car was a luxury GT to be above the 911. The 911 was the pure sports car while the 928 was the replacement GT. Didn't work out to good, very expensive, and didn't sell too good. So the idea of building a "RS" models makes little sense as the car was never intended to be a race car. When they build a 911RSR, the GT3RS is the closest thing you can get, street legal, to the 911RSR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, you know the concept of a RS in the 928 makes little sense.

The car was a luxury GT to be above the 911. The 911 was the pure sports car while the 928 was the replacement GT. Didn't work out to good, very expensive, and didn't sell too good. So the idea of building a "RS" models makes little sense as the car was never intended to be a race car. When they build a 911RSR, the GT3RS is the closest thing you can get, street legal, to the 911RSR.
I built the 1983 928 RS Carrera as a study for myself (previous air cooled only guy btw) and found that the 928 is indeed a GREAT Porsche to make
light and VERY fast (currently 2640 lbs) and nimble.

It's faster and out handles my 2530 lb tribute IROC 911 3.2 I built and has better specs (read; more power, much lighter & therefor faster) than the 2990 lb 1993 RS America which is 10 years newer. It is more on par with the 1993 911 RS that was available outside the US. But this is a Porsche from 1983. Later 928s have more power to exploit. So i disagree with the above. In fact much effort went into keeping the 928 as light as it could be with all of it's comforts. Aluminum feather light hood, fenders and doors, hollow sway bars etc..

928s are better handling Porsches and were faster than the 911s at the time (except for the turbos which were heavy also with lux)

But the added weight is easily removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks re dogleg box.

Porsche put the same depress clutch fully between shifts message on a plaque in their factory prepared racing IROC cars.

more pics; one accessory belt (manual steering, ac delete, electric cooling fan, air pump delete)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts