Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently own a 2008 BMW M3 but am thinking seriously of getting a Cayman R or Boxster Spyder. I really enjoy the practicality and power of the M3, but I test drove a Spyder the other day and the overall driving experience was much more engaging.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from folks on this forum on the typical maintenance costs for a Cayman or Boxster. The R and the Spyder are too new to have much of a repair/maintenance track record, but I figured they would be essentially similar to that of other cars on the 987 platform.

Also, if any of you previously drove an M3, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts comparing the M to the Porsche. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
As far as the drive of each the M3 will probably be quicker but the cornering on the Cayman R or Boxster Spyder will be MUCH better. Porsche's in general are more engaging to drive especially if you get a manual than a BMW.

Good luck with your search and hopefully someone can help you on the service costs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Porsche's in general are more engaging to drive especially if you get a manual than a BMW.
Yes, I am only interested in manual. In fact, one reason for possibly moving from BMW to Porsche is that the M3 gearbox is annoyingly notchy and is the subject of frequent complaints of M3 owners.

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Yes, I am only interested in manual. In fact, one reason for possibly moving from BMW to Porsche is that the M3 gearbox is annoyingly notchy and is the subject of frequent complaints of M3 owners.
Ok, good. Yes you will enjoy it much more than your M3. I have an Audi A6 which is my daily driver. It is a great car and relatively quick and fun if in sport mode with traction off or if it is just in sport mode but nothing beats coming home and driving my Boxster.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have the same year M3 manual and a '06 CS. The M3 power is a little greater but the refined handling of the Cayman beats it overall. Overall my service costs have been comparable as long as you don't do the Inspection II on the M3 out of warranty.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Had a BMW prior to going to Porsche. Both are great cars but the Porsche tops it in my opinion in so many ways. Can't beat BMW's free maintenance though!

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
As far as the drive of each the M3 will probably be quicker but the cornering on the Cayman R or Boxster Spyder will be MUCH better. Porsche's in general are more engaging to drive especially if you get a manual than a BMW.

Good luck with your search and hopefully someone can help you on the service costs.
The Cayman R has better lap times than the M3, and a couple of years ago there was a test where the Cayman S had equal times to the M3 despite the horsepower disadvantage.

as far as maintenance goes, that's going to depend a lot on what kind of car you get, a trouble free Cayman is pretty cheap to keep on the road, conversely if you have to repair or replace a couple of engines you are talking big $ :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I kept my M3 and bought a new CS in '06. The M3 is more practical, and a better daily driver; around town or on a trip. The CS is more fun to drive otherwise; especially on track and at autocross.

Both cars have been very reliable, but the CS full services may cost slightly more (I haven't been comparing). The CR and Spyder will probably be similar to the CS and Boxster S in maintenance costs. Unlike BMW, Porsche does not provide "free" scheduled services on new cars.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Unlike BMW, Porsche does not provide "free" scheduled services on new cars.
Funny true story about this.... I wrote Porsche several years ago asking why this was the case and why they didn't offer free service like BMW and I got a note back saying... and I quote, "At Porsche we believe the driving experience is reward enough."

:hilarious:

Got to hand it to them.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
JusCruzin,

I used to own an M3 in a previous life, loved it at the time but not comparable to my Cayman, which is designed bottom-up to be a sports-car, whereas the M3 was a heavily modified 3-series saloon...{sorry}.

To answer your main question, it's difficult to compare US prices versus costs here in Europe so I will not start quoting figures, or even mention my own bills, however I think we can agree with a high degree of certainty that Porsche maintenance is significantly more expensive than BMW.

There are several reasons for this no doubt but IMO the major factors are:

1. BMW has far greater volume, the M3 is composed of mainly 3-series parts;
2. Porsche parts are by nature more costly, they represent a higher degree of engineering integrity, when you factor in the consideration that higher performance exponentially requires higher quality and refinement...

All the best with your choices, look forward to hearing more about this...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also owned an e92 M3.

When it comes down to out of warranty costs I think you will find them very similar between the two cars.

Oil changes at the dealer will be about the same.

Tires will be about the same

Brakes will be a little cheaper on the 987 to replace and may last a little longer since the car is lighter.

The 20,000 mile service at the dealer on a 987 can be a little pricy but I'd bet it'd be a wash over the course of 100,000 miles.

Plus the fuel expense will be less with the 987. I averaged about 18 with my M3 and about 23 with the Cayman S. 5 MPG is significant.

·
Registered
42 Posts
JusCruzin,

I just switched from an 2009 E90 M3 into a Cayman R this past summer, and I'm loving it. Sure I miss the V8 from time to time, but it is no contest as far as driving experience go. It makes me wonder sometimes what would it be like if Porsche actually goes out and make a Cayman GT...

You mentioned the notchiness of the M3 manual gearbox. That was my experience as well. I hated shifting into second! I didn't like the rev matching there too. Normal was too slow, Sports Plus was too fast. In the end, I made do with Sports, but that took some time to adjust. I'm happy to report that I didn't have any problem with my CR whatsoever. Rev matching was piece of cake. I had opted for the Short Shifter on my CR and I like it! I had a Rogue SSK on my M3, which was good, but notchiness was still an issue.

I can't really comment on the maintenance costs since I only have 2200 miles on my CR so far. I'm about to do my first oil change and that costs about the same.

In the end, you can't go wrong with either car. As for me, I'll take the Porsche key.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Here is a menu of maintenance costs at the local dealer her in NE Ohio (costs vary from dealer to dealer and by region) They are they same cost no matter what model Porsche. Oil change after year 1,3,5, etc... at $169, minor service after year 2, 6 etc. at $549 and major sercive after year 4, 8 etc. at $789. Add to that a brake fluid flush after every 2 years at $129 if you follow the book and do all maintenance at the dealer. More detals on menu below:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is a menu of maintenance costs at the local dealer her in NE Ohio (costs vary from dealer to dealer and by region) They are they same cost no matter what model Porsche. Oil change after year 1,3,5, etc... at $169, minor service after year 2, 6 etc. at $549 and major sercive after year 4, 8 etc. at $789. Add to that a brake fluid flush after every 2 years at $129 if you follow the book and do all maintenance at the dealer. More detals on menu below:

Out of curiosity, What actual work is being performed during the battery and charging system maintenance? $79 to check the water in the battery cells?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 08 ISF and a Spyder. Initially i planned to replace the ISF with the Spyder. Once i got the Spyder, i realized it would be nice to have another car as a daily driver.
The Spyder is the best car i have ever driven. It is a no-nonsense, simple sports car. I don't have too many tech options on it, i like it the way it was intended to be driven by Porsche. I requires you to be plugged into the driving experience 100% of the time and it will reward you with an exceptional feeling. I rarely even turn on the radio (AC being the only other option i picked).
But then there are days, daily driver days, when you want something that could be more sedate and engaging when you "choose to". Days when you want some technology, Luxury for your bottom along with the torque and grunt of the V8. Also, having 4 seats is a good option.
Now, it almost seems inconceivable to have one without the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a menu of maintenance costs at the local dealer her in NE Ohio
Thanks, this is extremely helpful. This cost schedule really isn't bad at all.

BMW (or any non-Porsche) salesmen love to say that Porsche maintenance costs are astronomical, but these costs are more or less in line with BMW's -- once the warranty expires. I guess if I need to actually replace a part, the costs will be much higher, given the economies of scale that the 3-series has versus Porsche, but routine maintenance looks fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts

BMW (or any non-Porsche) salesmen love to say that Porsche maintenance costs are astronomical, but these costs are more or less in line with BMW's -- once the warranty expires. I guess if I need to actually replace a part, the costs will be much higher, given the economies of scale that the 3-series has versus Porsche, but routine maintenance looks fine.
Unless it's a ///M specific part.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Yeah, the big difference is when you are under warranty, and the BMW maintenance is all free. After that, I would expect them to be quite comparable.

As far as the drive goes, I had an E90 M3 when I got my Boxster S (which is "just" a 2006 3.2L), and once I got the Porsche I basically stopped driving the M3 unless I was hauling the kids around. The M3 was faster in a straight line but in every other way the Porsche was in a different league, feel-wise; much more enjoyable to drive. As long as you don't need the extra seats, you won't regret it for a second.

And the gas mileage thing is significant, too. On my commute in the M3 I was averaging something like 14. The Boxster does a lot better than that, even with the top down 80 percent of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts