Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't see why they could not go with a smaller 6 turbo such as a 2.5 or 2.7 since the Carrera starts with a 3.0.

The 4 banger part is urking me. Personally, I like turbos, just not crazy about 4 cylinder engines in general.

I don't buy the "not enough room" excuse as, as mentioned, it's already being done.

And the flipping of the prices between the Cayman and the Boxster. Is that "just because we can"?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Someone I am sure has heard the reality in the performance world...

No replacement for displacement.

I prefer spinning and rotating of as many pistons as I can get rather that BLOWING the daylights out of a few of them. Plus, IF shards of metal break loose from the Ol' turbo fins.....fill in the blank there.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't see why they could not go with a smaller 6 turbo such as a 2.5 or 2.7 since the Carrera starts with a 3.0.

And the flipping of the prices between the Cayman and the Boxster. Is that "just because we can"?
I think that they realized, "OOOPS we should have done this in the first place...Now is a great time to it"

Engineering costs and working components generally bring up production costs on any drop top nameplate on the planet.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

The 4 banger part is urking me. Personally, I like turbos, just not crazy about 4 cylinder engines in general.

I don't buy the "not enough room" excuse as, as mentioned, it's already being done.

I agree with a lot of what you said. However, the 4 cylinder move is heavily focused on European CAFE standards, taxes on engine displacement in China and Europe, and not just to provide distance between the 911 and the 981. That's why we are getting a 4 banger. They could have fit a turbo inside. It's only a single turbo anyway.

Boxsters are more popular than Cayman's by a long shot so they are going to charge what the market will bear. Perhaps, they will keep the 718 Boxster prices the same and lower the Cayman. Who knows? We will find out soon.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

Totally agree. The cayman price was a Marketing ploy that can be done and undone anytime. This time they chose to change. Generally Convertibles are more expensive because of the complex convertible parts and the need to reinforce a topless body frame.

Cheers

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I just can't work up much enthusiasm for a turbo flat 4. Once I drive a 718, perhaps it will change my mind, but at present I completely dislike the move to smaller displacement turbo engines. Maybe I'm wrong, but my take is that Porsche/Ferrari/et al have been pushed down this route not because it makes the best car/engine combo, but because it is a way to game the EPA MPG/emissions figures, even though real-world driving shows no real MPG benefits. And the idea that people still take the supposed CO2 reduction as anything other than meaningless PR is just baffling to me. Also, the smaller engines help Porsche in markets (e.g. Germany and China) where the government, in its infinite wisdom, taxes vehicles based on displacement. As I said, once I drive one I might be converted, but for now I am somewhat dispirited by a car that I see more as a result of poor structuring of incentives for industry than as a result of consumer preferences.
That's a very good point about displacement and tax rates!

I agree that all that MPG chasing for an expensive toy sports car is a huge pile of crap, but what can we do...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Also, is it me, or they made the tail lights smaller? I'd like that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm just glad these will be available with a manual transmission.

I've never owned a car with an automatic, and don't intend to start anytime soon; driving without a third pedal is just boring, and so if I have to have an auto or "sequential manual" it might as well be a minivan.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I'm just glad these will be available with a manual transmission.

I've never owned a car with an automatic, and don't intend to start anytime soon; driving without a third pedal is just boring, and so if I have to have an auto or "sequential manual" it might as well be a minivan.
It is not a minivan it is a Subaru.

Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, saw a video of a turbo 4 Cayman while at my dealer yesterday.

Sounds like an old Beetle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just listening to the sound of the new 911 in the recent reviews, I already am not a fan. I really can not see how they can make a flat 4 with a turbo sound any better...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just listening to the sound of the new 911 in the recent reviews, I already am not a fan. I really can not see how they can make a flat 4 with a turbo sound any better...
Should have been something like a 2.5 or 2.7 flat 6 turbo.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Should have been something like a 2.5 or 2.7 flat 6 turbo.
I've thought exactly the same thing: why didn't they go with a small 6 turbo?

I can't imagine that P didn't think about it, so there must be a reason. And unless someone here knows and is willing to share, let the speculation begin!!

Is it money? Protecting the 911? Option to shrink future 718s? Or a bad coin flip? :hilarious: Or someone lost a bet?

(or maybe this kind of madness should be a new thread?) ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've thought exactly the same thing: why didn't they go with a small 6 turbo?

I can't imagine that P didn't think about it, so there must be a reason. And unless someone here knows and is willing to share, let the speculation begin!!

Is it money? Protecting the 911? Option to shrink future 718s? Or a bad coin flip? :hilarious: Or someone lost a bet?

(or maybe this kind of madness should be a new thread?) ;)
It's been stated directly by the product manager and lead engineer that they couldn't fit a 6 + turbos + intercoolers + plumbing in the space. You can choose to not believe them but that's the "why". Of course one other very significant reason is displacement. In many European and Asian countries the road tax you pay depends on engine displacement. Smaller engines mean lower prices which means more sales.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't think the size argument is all that. They could cut back on the rear trunk to make some space.
I would be very unhappy if the rear trunk was smaller or non existent.
The car has marginal space as it is (for the week-long road trips we do) and having no back trunk would push the car out of contention for us.

Rather, I suspect the bean counters and modern thinkers at Porsche are alive and well.
4 cyl turbo solves several problems, saves $, and is consistent with changes the whole car industry is making.

Product planners and marketing people are probably counting on the majority of Boxster buyers being impressed enough with the new found torque to accept the changes.

Those of us who are rabid flat-6 fans are probably in the minority, and we don't get to call the shots.
Plus, we can always pony up for the Spyder and GT4 models if we can't live with the turbo 4..... or so they imagine our thinking will be.

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's been stated directly by the product manager and lead engineer that they couldn't fit a 6 + turbos + intercoolers + plumbing in the space. You can choose to not believe them but that's the "why".
Yes, so it has been reported. Please excuse me if I take that with a large grain of salt (at least for now). It's also been pointed out that turbo additions to flat-6s in 987/981 have enough room. So maybe the P version of turbo addition are built like tanks! This might be the source of the weight gain to the 718s.

Of course one other very significant reason is displacement. In many European and Asian countries the road tax you pay depends on engine displacement. Smaller engines mean lower prices which means more sales.
I don't buy the tax on engine displacement. The 718 S is a 2.5L flat-4 turbo. So a 2.5L flat-6 turbo would have no effect on displacement.
As for lower prices, is it certain that the 718s will be cheaper?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts