Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
"I can't imagine that P didn't think about it, so there must be a reason. And unless someone here knows and is willing to share, let the speculation begin!!"

No speculation, it has been well documented, "MARKETING" wanted to put more distance between the 911 and the Cayman/Boxster. So they degraded it to 4 cyl. And, no, it will be either the same price or more expensive, with the 718 S convertible being the most expensive.That is why I say its dead. People, especially sport cars enthusiasts, are NOT dumb or stupid.

Cheers

·
Registered
825 Posts
"I can't imagine that P didn't think about it, so there must be a reason. And unless someone here knows and is willing to share, let the speculation begin!!"

No speculation, it has been well documented, "MARKETING" wanted to put more distance between the 911 and the Cayman/Boxster. So they degraded it to 4 cyl. And, no, it will be either the same price or more expensive, with the 718 S convertible being the most expensive.That is why I say its dead. People, especially sport cars enthusiasts, are NOT dumb or stupid.

Cheers
Yes, it's possible. But then why did marketing allow the GT4 to happen? Did they think that was a mistake and so the 718 is the correction for the mistake?

And an extension of the "distance from the 911" suggests no future GTS or GT4 versions of the 718 with a flat 6 (turbo or not) because those might get close to some versions of the 911. I suppose time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Yes, it's possible. But then why did marketing allow the GT4 to happen? Did they think that was a mistake and so the 718 is the correction for the mistake?

And an extension of the "distance from the 911" suggests no future GTS or GT4 versions of the 718 with a flat 6 (turbo or not) because those might get close to some versions of the 911. I suppose time will tell.

No you do not understand it is documented. "Marketing wanted to move the mid-engined twins FURTHER AWAY from the REAR ENGINED 911." Translation : [email protected] them up,(downgrade as opposed to the 911), so they don't compete with the 911, they are too CLOSE !

"We were facing a complex task,” project leader Jan Roth tells us. “Marketing wanted to move the mid-engined twins further away from the rear-engined 911. The dedicated means to this end is the new four-cylinder boxer. Why not a smaller displacement flat-six? Because now that we are introducing turbocharging across the board, it would have been impossible to package the bigger powerplant. Believe me -- it was difficult enough to find space for the flat-four and for the related extra intake and exhaust plumbing, not to mention the complex intercooler assembly. For these reasons alone, the six was never on our radar.”

Wintertime Wonderland: Riding in the Porsche 718 Boxster Prototype in Canada – CarAutoDaily.com

See, Cheers

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
No you do not understand it is documented. "Marketing wanted to move the mid-engined twins FURTHER AWAY from the REAR ENGINED 911." Translation : [email protected] them up,(downgrade as opposed to the 911), so they don't compete with the 911, they are too CLOSE !

"We were facing a complex task,” project leader Jan Roth tells us. “Marketing wanted to move the mid-engined twins further away from the rear-engined 911. The dedicated means to this end is the new four-cylinder boxer. Why not a smaller displacement flat-six? Because now that we are introducing turbocharging across the board, it would have been impossible to package the bigger powerplant. Believe me -- it was difficult enough to find space for the flat-four and for the related extra intake and exhaust plumbing, not to mention the complex intercooler assembly. For these reasons alone, the six was never on our radar.”

Wintertime Wonderland: Riding in the Porsche 718 Boxster Prototype in Canada – CarAutoDaily.com

See, Cheers
A good question is whether they will still run into problems from heat with the turbochargers in that enclosed space. BMW got themselves into a handful of trouble with the early N63 engines. Those cars can really burn it up.

·
Registered
71 Posts

See, Cheers
If they indeed are trying to kill the Boxster and Cayman, Porsche is not as smart as I have always given them credit for.

I, for one, will not buy past the 981 if this is the way they want to do things and it will not force me into buying a Carrera 3.0 turbo.

I like the mid engine setup much more than the rear engine configuration.

I have no desire for a flat 4, turbo or NA, period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently got my 981 Spyder and I really enjoy it for what it is. Raw with a manual box and all. I though that I might miss the PDK from my previous BS. But no, this is an utter joy to use. As this whole thread agrees to, the move to 4 cylinder turbo is not for the customers but to please government regulations. That is why my Spyder will eventually become a classic and a bit of an investment and I will keep it as long as I can, not even considering the new 911 turbos.

·
Registered
457 Posts
hmmm... there is no longer a SPORT exhaust option on the "build your own"??? that would be disappointing
Some of the options will be available later this year. There is a German brochure out (someone here posted a link) that lists all the options (including the upcoming).
As per this brochure - sport exhaust will be available starting July 2016!

Edit: Here is the link to the thread: http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/117266-718-ordering-thread.html

41 - 48 of 48 Posts