Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 62 years old. I've owned Mustangs and a Firebird (Trans Am) and 3 Acura "sports sedans" as well as taking care of my wife's minivans and SUVs. I've seen brake dust but it comes off in the self service car wash with the wand. Not this stuff on my 2006 Cayman S. This is some greasy, sticky s***. I'm driving about 1,000 miles a month and I have to clean the wheels at least once a month. I've used a tub with Palmolive dishwashing suds and a sponge but I'm pretty lazy. Picked up some Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner Spray and just got back from the car wash. ("DO NOT LEAVE ON MORE THAN 30 SECONDS") That must be some industrial strength nasty stuff. I guess it worked pretty well. I did this wheel twice.

So are Porsche brake pads special "racing" pads that cause this super brake dust?
What do you guys do about this issue?

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can’t help you as far as the dust production goes, but for a cleanup spray all the wheels with Sonax wheel cleaner dry, wait 3 to 5 minutes and rinse and done.

Sonax is awesome stuff, won’t damage your wheels and dissolves the brake dust right in front of you turning into a crimson red color as it breaks it down

·
Registered
33 Posts
Depending on how much it bugs ya and how involved you wanna get, could always pull 'em and coat them. Probably make it 85% easier to keep clean. Would still have to agitate a bit, but nothing sticks permanently. Pain to do, makes for a grungy day.

Mustangs, Corvettes, WRX's...never bad a car with this tenacious dust either. Gotta pay to play, I guess; good brakes are dirtier brakes unless ya get up into the big $$ ceramic stuff. Sucks too cuz I hate cleaning wheels.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i usually clean up once a week or once a fortnight depending how busy schedule is.
running textar pads and dust usually comes off quite easily without any sticky residue.

not sure what pads you're running - if they're still the originals they must be >10 years old! worth inspecting...
you can try waxing/coating the wheels which usually helps keep dust down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep - the stock pads (OEM or Textar) are super dusty, but pretty much par for the course for most German cars.

I swapped them out on my Cayman for some ceramic pads (there's a lot to choose from out there) and dusting is way down. About at levels that are "normal" for most cars.

As for whether or not these are "racing" pads - no they're not. Are they more suited for track use than most cars? I think some would say so, but when I go to the track, I ditch the stock pads altogether and use dedicated track pads. The need for a "high performance", super fade-resistant pad on the street seems dubious. Sure, I want good performance on the street, but I've yet to find a decent pad compound that doesn't satisfy street braking needs.

All that said, if you're not willing to swap pads, give the Armor All Outlast Brake Dust Repellent a go. It seems to get pretty universally good reviews.

·
Registered
383 Posts
For my next street pad change, I'm going to ceramics. OEM pads provide more braking on the street than most people will ever need, but they aren't worth it for the dust. They aren't really durable enough for track use, so I stopped using OEM pads on the track long ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
P&S Brake Buster will do the job, full strength, agitate, rinse for the 1st application, then wash and rinse regular to remove any residue, then SEAL the painted rim using any good (Adam's, Griot's, Chem guys etc) paint sealant in order to make them easier to clean thereafter. Works great, even for a track day if you have done the above. After that you can dilute the Brake buster if desired.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,728 Posts
I changed to ceramic pads, bought some Akebonos from Tire Rack. You will need the wider 996 clips to install them. Can't see much dust any more.

·
El Coco
7 Posts
I'm 62 years old. I've owned Mustangs and a Firebird (Trans Am) and 3 Acura "sports sedans" as well as taking care of my wife's minivans and SUVs. I've seen brake dust but it comes off in the self service car wash with the wand. Not this stuff on my 2006 Cayman S. This is some greasy, sticky s***. I'm driving about 1,000 miles a month and I have to clean the wheels at least once a month. I've used a tub with Palmolive dishwashing suds and a sponge but I'm pretty lazy. Picked up some Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner Spray and just got back from the car wash. ("DO NOT LEAVE ON MORE THAN 30 SECONDS") That must be some industrial strength nasty stuff. I guess it worked pretty well. I did this wheel twice.

So are Porsche brake pads special "racing" pads that cause this super brake dust?
View attachment 265669 View attachment 265670
Replacing the front pads would solve the problem. I also got tired of cleaning my wheels too.
The process to replace them is so easy that it takes about 30 minutes. The design of this brakes is amazing!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I think I know what the problem is: brake dust become an issue only after you turn 60 🤪😜. By the way, according to my research most of the dust is caused by the wearing away of the cast iron rotors, not from the pads.

Of course, a high metallic content in the pads will also be a factor. I periodically apply a coat of paste wax to minimize the effort needed to clean my wheels and to protect the clear coating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts