Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call from my dealer on Tuesday: he had just returned from a Porsche conference where it was announced that all the US allocations for 718 Boxster Ss were being re-routed to Europe. That meant the car I ordered in December and expected in April was now a figment of my imagination. If I still wanted an S I would need to wait until September at the earliest. As I live in upstate NY that's not really an option for me.

But before I could fall into a pit of despair my dealer offered me what I consider to be a sweetheart of a deal: in order to make things right he said I could configure any Boxster GTS and he'd take 9% off the build price. That meant I could change my loaded S into a similar GTS for just $2K more. You bet I jumped on that one! I had to give up the 14-way power seats (they are almost $5K extra in the GTS) and delivery isn't until May at the earliest, but getting a GTS for almost $8,500 off sticker price was way too good to pass up.

Anyone else out there running into similar problems getting their S?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am happy there is a silver lining for you, that your dealer stepped up, and that you're happy. I am not pleased to read that Porsche essentially took your car away from you, that comes across as poor form.

Congrats on your GTS, I can't wait to see images of it.

·
Vendor
6,500 Posts
I'm sure you will be able to live with GTS! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My order is (was?) comparable to yours in its timing: a December order for a May delivery. It had already been bumped once from a March 1 delivery. I just spoke with my SA. He checked my order in the computer; everything looks fine. He was completely unaware of the re-routing of Boxster S allocations. I believe the dealership saw their regional rep last week, and the SA said they discussed speeding up my order, and was told to go pound salt. Nothing about the allocation going away. The SA said he would investigate further, and we will talk within 24 hrs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
sweet deal! I love when everything works out for the better!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
My order is (was?) comparable to yours in its timing: a December order for a May delivery. It had already been bumped once from a March 1 delivery. I just spoke with my SA. He checked my order in the computer; everything looks fine. He was completely unaware of the re-routing of Boxster S allocations. I believe the dealership saw their regional rep last week, and the SA said they discussed speeding up my order, and was told to go pound salt. Nothing about the allocation going away. The SA said he would investigate further, and we will talk within 24 hrs.
My guess is that the dealer mislead the OP, and didn't have the allocation but didn't want to lose a sale. So he came up with a BS excuse for failing to deliver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congratulations for this nice solution! I am sure, you will not regret:)

I have ordered a 718S in May and cancelled it within 20h as I heard about the GTS coming up. Now it has already arrived at my dealer and is waiting for being picked up. As we have snow and salty roady in Germany, I have decided for a seasonal plate (March-November), so I still have to wait 26 loooooong days:) At least I was able to see it sitting in the dealers garage waiting for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So really you’re paying $7k more for the GTS including the loss of the seats you wanted. The dealer screwed up and then gets more money out of the buyer. Classic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So really you’re paying $7k more for the GTS including the loss of the seats you wanted. The dealer screwed up and then gets more money out of the buyer. Classic.
Haters.

The GTS will hold on to it's value more and he's already ahead. He's not paying $7k more...

It will also be an overall better ownership experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
MissionMan - Thank you for sharing. What a fascinating first-ever post! Like others who have here responded, I'm trying to get my head around this story. I'm not a vert guy, but if anyone has or knows of a configurable allocation for a Cayman GTS or any non-cab 911 model at 9% off, please pm me as I will quickly get out my wallet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For $2k more, that seems like a win for you. But, I do think the smell of fish is in the air. I drove a 718 CS at PEC ATL back in July and I must say it was damn fast. I would not challenge one in my 981 CS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So could the dealer be playing me? Absolutely. But that's a pretty ballsy gamble on his part: he basically had to throw away an existing sale, with a higher commission for him, and hope I bite on a GTS that gives him AT BEST the same commission and, more likely, less $$ in his pocket. Possibly, but it sure seems like a crappy business deal. Is he giving me a line about the allocations? Who knows. Yes, I gave up the power seats - but if you think that equates to me paying $7K more then you're smoking something. Bottom line is: I'm happy with the upgrade - end of story.

·
Registered
87 Posts
-- have heard similar stories with 911 special orders; Porsche does it because they can. Maybe you should've asked for the GTS at the same price you placed the Box S was order for...?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's a great deal even with the loss of the 14-ways IMO. I have the 14-ways on my 981S and I hardly ever change any of the positions. Set it once and done. When I was looking for a pre-owned 981 CS, I would have 100% upgraded to the GTS if there were any for $2k more. Haven't really looked at the visual differences between the S and GTS on the 718, but on the 981 the GTS wins hands down for me. Well worth $2k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't accuse the earlier poster of being a 'hater'. Much too strong that. Cynical maybe at most.

I'm just disappointed that someone would buzz-kill anyone's clear enthusiasm.

I had a similar let down recently immediately after I bought an SC through Bring-a-Trailer. "Well Sold" posted he.

I still think about it. How unnecessary. WTF.

A Boxster GTS works for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't accuse the earlier poster of being a 'hater'. Too strong that. Cynical, maybe, at most.
But I am perplexed by anyone buzz-killing someone's clear enthusiasm.
Unnecessary and a little mean.
I had a similar experience recently after I bought an SC on Bring-a-Trailer. "Well sold" said the poster.
I still think about it. WTM man?!
Boxster GTS works for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s always better for resell to buy a base trim level with no options. you’ll get no credit for the expensive options when you sell it, but can easily sell an upper tier model that has all those same options included. Of course the GTS is also going to be a better resell because of the history of that name. I think you got a rare break and should be tap dancing!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Indeed, the Fickle Finger of Fate sprinkled Magic Dust on your head - yours was the best of all outcomes! Congrats.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts