Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I salute every porsche owner ,enthusiast and admirer on this forum. This hopefully will be my first post out of many.
I am 23 ,going to college in Romania to be precise,no kids nor wife and so I am in pusuit of a new car,the porsche cayman beauty.I am not travelling a lot and will be using this car as a daily drive to school and through the city mainly , i usually drive around 50-60 km a day(30 ish miles). I have never owned a Porsche (but i am also glancing at the 2011 panamera),so the maintenance cost is also one of the things i hope to find out.
The Porsche i found is from 2012 has 167k km which is around 100k miles. It is the base model with 265 hp
It has heated seats,bose sound,bluetooth,navi gps and set of winter tires . The price is 22k euros. What do you think?
Is it worth it considering those specs? The guy says he s the only owner and i assume he also drove it as a dailly.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi , I’m by no means an expert here as I just bought my 987.1 4 months ago and am still learning a lot . But from what I have learned is if the maintenance was performed as it should be in these cars they will last a long time and be very reliable . Can the owner show you the maintenance that has been done ? As far as the car itself I love it . It’s fast , handles great and sounds great ! I look forward to driving it whenever I can !

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is my opinion, others may say something completely different. Anyhow, at 100K things can start to require replacement on any car. What sort of things? Starters, cats, water pumps, suspension parts, in essence wear items. It's also possible the vehicle runs fine another fifty thousand without any of those, it's a wager. If you spend 25,000 USD, a good question to ask yourself? By the time it's paid off will the vehicle have any goodness left in it? How handy are you with a wrench? Do you have access to tools and a facility to wrench. Better yet are you financially capable to absorb some repair bills. I'm not trying to crush your Porsche dream, everyone on here understands that, just giving you food for thought. It might be better to hold off till you're done with school and get something cheaper with lower mileage you can use for now. You're 23, I bought my 944 (first Porsche) at 28, it was still magical, I also had a career I wish I still had that provided a generous paycheck. Anyhow, again not trying to dampen your dream, if you truly want it, have a safe place to park in on and off campus, go for it. Do some more shopping first too, make sure it's the best deal near you.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,822 Posts
Are you mechanically inclined? Do you have a garage to store the car, and perform basic maintenance on it? I ask because the total cost of ownership is much lower if you perform your own maintenance.
I'm not trying to scare you off this car, or any used Porsche that's out of warranty coverage. A well maintained example can provide you with several more years and miles of highly reliable and enjoyable daily usage, but compared to most commonly mass produced commuter cars the part and labor costs are much higher.
Perform your due diligence, especially regarding maintenance schedule and history, accident repairs/insurance claims, etc. Consider paying for a third-party, pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable Porsche repair shop, and joining a local Porsche club to avail yourself of the local network/ knowledge base and Porsche-related activities. Use this knowledge to make an informed decision, and in your negotiations, to obtain a fair valuation.
Good luck, and please report back when and if you decide to purchase this car or another Porsche.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do agree with what the others said here . I was thinking from my perspective and my 987 is not a daily driver . I have 91k on it but only use it in the summer on weekends etc . Being a daily driver I would set some money away for issues that pop up .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for replying.
I have no mechanical ability to be precise nor the tools necessary to do my own repairs.I owned a golf 5 2008.140 hp for the last 2 years. The cars that i am keen into are 987.2 ,the panamera and a BMW Cabrio 435xd 313hp 2014 if Porsche option goes south. Regarding the 987,i have actually never talked to the owner yet,but i have a very good friend who is a great mechanic and can provide good assistance in buying my next car and inspect it also.The owner stated in the add that he is the only one who had the car.
Regarding the bills,i am ready to invest 3-4k euro in the first year of ownership at least to make the car run great. I am planning to use it for 2 years than replace it(whatever it may be,one of the Porches or the BMW). Parking spaces are not a problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Friend who is a great mechanic is a huge plus, safe parking is another one. Two years planned usage? I think you are in the right frame to buy one. If the man has the maintenance records check them out. There is also a way to look at whether the engine has any over-rev reports via Durametric tool or equivalent, I'd check them out too. Also, has it had a clutch? Don't forget the tires age and wear, that can be a big ticket item.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has pdk automatic transmission,i hope that is what you mean by that. The tires for winter are new,i don t know though about summer tires.
This is the link for the add Second hand Porsche Cayman - 21 500 EUR, 167 000 km, 2012 - autovit.ro
What i meant is i have a very good friend that can inspect the car thoroughly and make sure i don t buy a hassle. I know a mechanic that handles my current golf5 ,do you think he can perform so to say,on the Porsche engine schematics and so on?
Also,do you think this is a good price for the options on it? I know i am missing on ventilated seats and keyless, but other than that are there many options it should ve had for comfort at least? For me the Bose sound system ,heated sets and navi with bluetooth is enough,just sayin..but i m curios nevertheless.
I assume i will be driving the car 40k km in 2 years ( 25k miles)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Haha skip the clutch, has it had it's transmission fluid changed? If not that's one point of negotiation as I'm told it's not cheap. I haven't priced a Porsche in almost ten years, someone else has to weigh in on that. Obviously, depending on records, tire wear and anything your buddy identifies the seller should be amiable to negotiating if he knows you're serious but every person is different. I tried to buy a 924 Turbo before my 280Z and it needed plenty and the seller thought he was sitting on a 924 carrera gt, see ya. Remember what my dad said, there's always another car. PS As a general rule, his options aren't going to spike the sale price very high at 100K miles, except for maybe sport buckets which it doesn't have. Also yes, I believe a talented mechanic can wrench on anything, especially true if he's used to German cars. Just opinion here but I'd want it to have way lower mileage if I was throwing 25K at it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last month the Porsche dealer I went to quoted $1250.00 to change the transmission fluid and filters. I had it done at an import shop for $550.00 . That’s a big price range.
In my opinion if it’s checks out and your going to use it every day for two years I would think it will Be fine minus normal wear and tear items . I have a Honda and a Mazda right now and both have 150,000 miles on them . I put a about a thousand a year in fixing little things over the past couple years . I would think Porsche builds a quality vehicle and if it was taken care of should last at least two years of every day driving .

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know where $25,000 came from - 21,000 euro = $23,590.14. That would be a somewhat high price for those km in the US but not outrageous since it appears like new in the photos.

I'd be interested in seeing how the rear looks underneath -- lots of corrosion? - or like mine? - looks basically like new. The PDK fluid is called for at 120,000 miles (193121.28km, probably 200,000km service in Europe) - that's both the clutch fluid (expensive) and the transmission/gear fluid (inexpensive.) Hopefully the clutch fluid was also done at 60,000 miles. The gear oil isn't called for until 120,000. Brake fluid been flushed regularly? Has it had a water pump, serpentine belt, idler pulley? If so when? Can your friend get it up on a lift and look at the suspension?

Those are the sort of wear and service items I'd expect to see at around 120,000 miles. Nothing abnormal about any of these being due. Since you have 3-4,000 Euro to sink into it right off the bat - I think all of these items can be addressed provided you find a good non-dealer service center or mechanic (your friend?)

Appearance - it looks fine like it is, and if you can resist the "mod" urge - keeping it looking that way will ensure it retains some value in the future. The interior is outstanding, no wear marks on the seats - which I'd expect to see with that many km on it.

From the photos that looks like the Mediterranean Blue interior. In some lighting it's easy to mistake for black, but the photos do show it to be the dark blue color. Same as my Boxster.

The ad for it said "Negotiable" - to me - that means an offer at 10% off asking price won't be insulting to the seller. You'll probably end up at around 20,000 Euro.

Make sure to post plenty of pictures or it didn't happen.. :)

PS: PDK is WONDERFUL. What a marvelous feat of engineering.

·
Registered
617 Posts
running and maintenance costs on Porsche obviously are higher than on KIA.
8-10k miles a year is not crazy high.
if you have a budget to buy and maintain - why not....
is roads quality in your area good enough for the Cayman?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah this is a nicely taken care of base, I wouldn't worry too much, just have the couple grand saved for potential repairs, engines on these things are bullet proof, it's other things that can go. Base cars are less abused than S cars - this one looks like it was used like a VW and not a Porsche. Do a PPI on the car, at least put it on a lift - look for corrosion and anything that doesn't look like it should - rubber cushions and bump stops over shocks like to go because of age, but it's not a big deal. Look at the bushings, rotors and break pads. And test drive the car - check the clutch action, how the manual stick works, do a couple pulls to check a warmed up engine.

I recommend doing and learning it now, since if you buy this car you will be checking on your Porsches for the rest of your life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts