Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- im brand new to the Porsche world so please bare with me and any info is greatly appreciated. I live in Dallas TX and I have asked the local dealers about ordering a 2015 cayman GTS and the best offer I have gotten is 2.75% off msrp. First question what do you think of that discount on a 2015 GTS? Secondly, the closest dealer has 2 CPO 911 S for about the same price as the cayman I want. If you were in my position would you go for the new cayman or 2012 911 S? I drove both and like them both- I slightly enjoyed the cayman s I drove better but very close. Again thank you for any advice!

mike

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
If you were in my position would you go for the new cayman or 2012 911 S? I drove both and like them both- I slightly enjoyed the cayman s I drove better but very close. Again thank you for any advice!

mike
Only you can answer that. No one knows what you like other than you. One car will be brand new ordered exactly how you want it. The other will be three years old and you get what you get. What do you want? A brand new car or a three year old one?

Anyone who prefers Caymans will tell you to buy that car. Anyone who prefers 911s will tell you to get that car. You can't get an objective answer here, only personal, subjective responses.

The only question you might want to get answered is whether or not the 2012 911 is a 997 or 991 because both cars were made that year. The 997 might not be such a good deal while the 991 a good deal. And mileage matters.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
FWIW, one dealer has already offered me a 5% discount on a CGTS order, and I have only contacted a few dealers. Personally, I much prefer the Cayman GTS over the 2012 911 S, for what u get for the money. But that assumes u get to order ur dream boat. Findin that 2012 with at least everything u would want is tougher, if u r like me.

·
Registered
494 Posts
991S or 997S? If a 991S, then definitely the 991S. It's an amazing car. You will not regret it, and it's very very fast.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
874 Posts
I went CPO 991S for a daily driver. I love it....and the wife loves it.

That being said, the message here is know thyself. Chows4us' advice is spot on. There isn't really a "wrong" answer between the cars so test drive both and get the one you like best considering performance, features, and price. Good luck and tell us about your decision.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
From financial perspective I say get the 991, the first owner took the depreciation hit.

From preference perspective, spend more time in both and take your 2nd half along. If you have young kids, get the 911. If you have teenagers get a truck ;)

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The 991S is an amazing car, I would make sure it is a CPO if you decide to go with that car. Having said that, after 14K miles, I have had no issues with my 2012 991S. They are both amazing cars and I would agree that you should make sure the 991S has everything you want i it, at the prices of these cars you shouldn't have to settle. The GTS is a great car and there is something to be said about ordering new but depreciation comes quickly and most of the allocations are gone so you are probably getting one already optioned out. Any way, there is no wrong choice here.

Hi- im brand new to the Porsche world so please bare with me and any info is greatly appreciated. I live in Dallas TX and I have asked the local dealers about ordering a 2015 cayman GTS and the best offer I have gotten is 2.75% off msrp. First question what do you think of that discount on a 2015 GTS? Secondly, the closest dealer has 2 CPO 911 S for about the same price as the cayman I want. If you were in my position would you go for the new cayman or 2012 911 S? I drove both and like them both- I slightly enjoyed the cayman s I drove better but very close. Again thank you for any advice!

mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Howdy neighbor!

Your post could have been mine anytime during the past year as we juggled that exact comparison/choice after narrowing down to this two Porsche choices. Truly, word for word.

Clearly neither choice is a bad one and hopefully driving/sitting in each will get you there. For us, we decided that we definitely didn't care about the extra luggage space or ability to carry kids (ours are grown), would rarely if ever need or use the extra power in real-world driving, loved the interior size and positioning of Cayman (especially for my wife who will drive the car as much as me!), and overall felt the 911S was more of a GT car for our planned use than the intimate smile-inducing sports car we were looking to see in the garage and lot every day. Keeping the E92 M3 for use if needed as well. We may NEVER sell that car.....

OTOH the 991 iteration of the 911S looks stunning and is still the "classic" Porsche shape. Loved it, but ultimately decided that wasn't enough to swing decision in spite of the financial points others have made. Only had the CGTS a week now but we both feel like it was the right choice.

Have fun with your decision!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Something else I may add that has to do with the world around you, not related to personal preference.

When you buy a 986/987/981 you'd say I bought so because of it's affordable price, because it's a mid engine, because of the way it handles... because & because. To the world you're crazy/rebel.

When you buy a 911, you say I bought a 911 (period). No question is asked and no explanation is needed. To the world your sane/wise.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts

mike
So do you drink coffee or do you drink tea? Bourbon or scotch? Fish or steak? See where I'm going? There is no wright or wrong and only you can decide what you want and like. Whatever other people would do won't really help you in any way. 911 is a heavier and faster car, with two seats for very small midgets in the back. 981 GTS handles better, pure two seater, middle engine car, and pretty fast too. Do and extended test drives of both. Only you can decide what you need.

In the end if you still don't know - flip a coin. It doesn't matter what side - just watch your response to the result.

·
Registered
425 Posts

mike
You'll take a bigger depreciation hit on the Cayman than the 991 which presumably has already absorbed some deprecation as its no longer new. If you're very particular about the options your car comes with you'll obviously have more ability to fine tune a car when ordering from the dealer where as the CPO fleet will likely just have whatever is available.

I think they are both great cars. The Cayman undeniably is the more agile handling car, the 911 has a history and a pedigree that's unrivaled. In 10 years its very likely the 911 will be worth more, but that's just a guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts