Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, picked up a new to me 2009 porsche cayman 2.9 yesterday, absolutely love it! incredible car!! however.. the car came with 1 key so i got the seller to knock £500 off to cover costs, ideally i want to sort out at as lowest cost as possible. so my question is does anybody know the cheapest way to get a new replacement spare key and reprogram the whole lot? i am based on the essex/london border if anyone knows anybody local even better!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found this link on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX4CwZLQiok . Bought a remote fob off of e-bay as the video said, but the dealer had a problem programming the fob, in the end had to buy the OEM dealer fob. The key cutter that was mentioned did do a good job and was cheap.

The business is in the UK. https://keysinthepost.com/ they might have a cheaper remedy for the fob. It appears that they are in a "suburb?" of London and you could drive the car to them, I would be curious to see of they can beat the dealer pricing or at least their website says they do.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I didn't want to deal with he said she said issues and since the key needed to be programmed by the dealer so I went and bought it from them.
Took an while though to order the key, schedule an appointment and carry out the work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered a replacement blank key from Suncoast online then took it to the dealer. The dealer cut and programmed the key. It saved me some money on the cost of the key.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I ordered a replacement blank key from Suncoast online then took it to the dealer. The dealer cut and programmed the key. It saved me some money on the cost of the key.
When I had a dealer install the OEM sports mode software in my car, I mentioned the Suncoast price for the kit and the dealer immediately said they would match the Suncoast price saving me the trouble of ordering the kit online and waiting for it to arrive.

Same thing might apply for a new key - less work and the dealer is totally responsible to make it work (i.e. cannot blame any issues on the part they did not supply).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys, will probably just go to porsche as it seems less hassle, they are requiring me to bring my v5c which may not come for up to 4 weeks so a little worrying but i guess i have no choice. I will try that Terry thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts