Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a used 2007 Porsche Cayman Exhaust System (Mufflers Headers Tip Kit Assembly Factory) $1000
My Cayman s has almost 140k miles on it. I was told I needed a new catalytic converter as per my check engine light code.
I decided to take a gamble to replace both Cats with this used system

I'm not a mechanic, does anyone have any thoughts or advice to what else I may need to get to do this?(such as, do I need to buy new header gaskets? Any other basic materials, necessary to do the job?, Special tools, I'm probably not thinking of? ) I'm just trying to wrap my thoughts around if I'd be able to do this job myself

As a most likely Plan 'B': Does anyone have a 'guestimate' of how much a shop would charge in labor to either 1)swap out just the cat's or 2)the entire exhaust system? I'd be looking in the San Diego, Ca area, if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you all for taking the time for reading my question and for any comments offered. This is my very first time using a forum so I'm also open to any advice on how I could of wrote this question better or such.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure that others will chime in but IIRC, the cats are integral to the header? I suppose new cats could be welded in, if they're even available separately, but the entire exhaust system would need to come out for that anyway. I would replace all the gaskets and bolts that you encounter during removal with the mileage as stated. The job is not that difficult.

Reactions: weitz

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you have a bit more in the budget, you could return the used exhaust system and purchase a sport header that has cats. I saw one recently for sale for a 987.2 in one of the forums. You will get the benefits of the headers and replacement of the cats. others can chime in, but you may want or need a tune at that point. watch out for the slippery slope.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto part Metal

This is what the parts look like.
Should I be looking for a certain grade of bolts for replacement? Would Home depot suffice?

Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could get custom headers, but from what I understand, unless its OEM Exhaust before the Cats, anything else is illegal here in California :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Ok ok, I just got off the phone with Porsche dealership and ordered the gaskets and mounting hardware. The 22 bolts and washers cost like $50, but it iz what iz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.