Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche Cayman S to hit the road

Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

While higher bank interest rates and the skyrocketing price of fuel have slowed automobile sales in Indonesia, the premium car segment of the industry is apparently yet to feel the pinch.

Although the Association of Indonesian Automotive Manufacturers has a sales target of 450,000 units this year, much lower than last year's 530,000, Porsche distributor PT Eurokars Chrisdeco Utama is confident his company will sell 50 units. 'Of the 50 units, we expect 15 of them will be the newly launched Cayman S,' James Lim, business advisor to the executive chairman of the Eurokars Group, told reporters during the unveiling of the new car on March 24.

The optimism was supported by the fact that eight people have already lined up to buy the Cayman S, which was launched late December in Germany, the home of Porcshe.

'We hope Indonesia's economy will pick up in the third quarter and thus improve the economy as a whole,' Lim said, adding that the issue in the niche market was more the wait-and-see behavior of potential buyers.

Eurokars marketing director Herbert Kwee said the arrival of the Cayman S would not affect sales of Boxsters and Carreras.

'They all have different market segments,' he said.

Though at a glance the Cayman S has a similar exterior to the Boxster S, the new car actually sits between the 911 Carrera and the Boxster S.

In terms of design, the Cayman S is characterized by asymmetric headlights moved far out to the outside and accentuated by large air intakes on the sides. The rear lights and the exhaust tailpipes in the middle of the car also reveal the link between the Cayman S and the Boxster.

The look is also accentuated by sweeping rear wings which literally 'flow' above the tail lights and the horizontal trim bars merging into the specially designed dual tailpipes to the left and right.

The two-seater coupe has a combined mid-mounted engine and hard-roof body, derived from the 1953 Porsche 550 coupe.

Carrying a six-cylinder 3.4-liter boxer engine, the Cayman S can reach a top speed of 275 kilometers per hour. With a coefficient drag of 0.29, it go from 0 kph to 100 kph in 5.4 seconds.

The VarioCam Plus technology, positioned at the heart of the car, helps the engine to generate a maximum of 295 horse power at 3,400 revs per minute (rpm) and a maximum torque of 340 Newton meters at between 4,400 and 6,000 rpm.

Such a powerful performance takes less fuel than you would think. The Cayman 'only' consumes 10.6 liters of fuel for 100 kilometers.

Though it is categorized as a sportscar, the Cayman S still offers comfort, as can be seen from the features on offer. The car is equipped with a range of seating options -- standard, sports, electrically adjustable and adaptive sports. It comes with welcome home' lighting, in which the interior light remains illuminated for 30 seconds, park assist technology, a navigation system, a telephone module and a sound package, among other features.

Safety features, including Porsche Side Impact Protection (POSIP), are also available. Seatbelts and airbags are, of course, standard.

Having only a few competitors, Eurokars hoped to be able to sell more Porsches, but as Porsche AG only produce about 20,000 units per year, and the bulk goes to the United States, their sales will be necessarily limited.

'Even for the Cayman, I can't say when will our customers get their car. I hope I can say 'tomorrow' but I have to wait for the green light from Germany,' Herbert said.

Available in 17 colors and with a choice of six alloy wheels, the car is offered at Rp 1.65 billion off the road (US$182,623). Potential buyers will have to wait at least three months for their car to be delivered.

·
Registered
518 Posts
that's what happened in my country, where tax for auto vehicle is almost 100%

the new s350 it self already cost $160 000

and an e320 cost $120 000

so i think you guys can figured out how much a 911 turbo would cost there. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts