Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new in this forum and I am searching for answers from experienced people. i recently bought Porsche Cayman 2008 TPC turbo with 33 k on the clock. This will be for me a daily drive car and twice a month a car for treck days with street tyres.
My question is: do i need to change oil pan and AOS? Or should i leave its stock?
P.s. the car has PSS 9 shocks and RRS sway bars.
Thanks

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,646 Posts
The definitive answer is ....maybe! The turbo really doesn't make much difference when it comes to needing oiling help. There are hundreds of posts on this subject and you should do your search homework. It's also somewhat dependent on how hard you push the car. If you are gong to track it regularly I'd replace the AOS as the stock one is a piece of [email protected] A deeper sump with good baffling is not a bad idea either.

Since you will have abundant torque, short shifting at about 6800 rpm is a really good idea too.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
WOW! Most TPC Cayman owners are on P9. I wonder whose did you get?

Congratulations... Enjoy the beast. Pictures and mods details when you have the time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi. I'm new in this forum and I am searching for answers from experienced people. i recently bought Porsche Cayman 2008 TPC turbo with 33 k on the clock. This will be for me a daily drive car and twice a month a car for treck days with street tyres.
My question is: do i need to change oil pan and AOS? Or should i leave its stock?
Thanks
Hard to say. Depending on how competitive you are, and what the layout of the track looks like. Some tracks are just much more demanding when it comes to G-force etc. Assuming you have some decent level of experience and do plan to track regularly, I would honestly do the AOS + deep sump for peace of mind. The turbo itself doesn't really add much necessity to these mods though.

Anyway, congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your replies.
I bought the car in US but live so far ( in Georgia) i will get it only in two months ! So looking forward!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for my experience i have some :) I am a professional race driver. At our track we have more left turns and the most fast left corner has about 150km/h.
I will most likely do AOS and Deep Sump as soon as the car arrives.
P. S. my question is : what is the engine recource /limit when with TPC turbo kit stage 2 ?
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks,

Thanks
Hard to say. Depending on how competitive you are, and what the layout of the track looks like. Some tracks are just much more demanding when it comes to G-force etc. Assuming you have some decent level of experience and do plan to track regularly, I would honestly do the AOS + deep sump for peace of mind. The turbo itself doesn't really add much necessity to these mods though.

Anyway, congrats on your new ride!
a

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Congratulations and enjoy your car!

It is common on the Cayman's to replace the AOS every few years as they do go bad. It is better to be proactive instead of waiting for it to go bad. In regards to the deep sump pan, I would recommend that.

Also, as for what the engine can take, I would not recommend running more than about 6psi with the stock engine. This will make for a safe amount of boost and also give you over 100 reliable horsepower to the wheels. If you are looking for more without turning up the boost, I would recommend our methanol injection kit as that will help with the inlet air temperatures and also increase the octane level. We have seen nice power gains with this.

As for my experience i have some :) I am a professional race driver. At our track we have more left turns and the most fast left corner has about 150km/h.
P. S. my question is : what is the engine recource /limit when with TPC turbo kit stage 2 ?
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks,

a

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your advices. I hope the car will be fun to drive!

It is common on the Cayman's to replace the AOS every few years as they do go bad. It is better to be proactive instead of waiting for it to go bad. In regards to the deep sump pan, I would recommend that.

Also, as for what the engine can take, I would not recommend running more than about 6psi with the stock engine. This will make for a safe amount of boost and also give you over 100 reliable horsepower to the wheels. If you are looking for more without turning up the boost, I would recommend our methanol injection kit as that will help with the inlet air temperatures and also increase the octane level. We have seen nice power gains with this.

As for my experience i have some
I am a professional race driver. At our track we have more left turns and the most fast left corner has about 150km/h.
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks,

a

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the board. I'm new also and just purchased a used cayman s with stage 2. I also happen to live in GA. PM me and maybe we can meet up. I live in the Atlanta area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would meet you with plesure, but I live in Republic of Georgia not GA. :)

Welcome to the board. I'm new also and just purchased a used cayman s with stage 2. I also happen to live in GA. PM me and maybe we can meet up. I live in the Atlanta area.

·
Registered
182 Posts

I have a 2006 with a the TPC Stage 2. It's been on about 1-1/2 years and has seen many track days, with no turbo related issues. Can you please clear something up for me? I was under the impression that with the TPC kit the 'Porsche motorsports' version of AOS would not fit properly. I replaced my original AOS with new during the turbo install, and am due for another new one. I would like to upgrade if possible.......although I hate to give Porsche the $$$ they get for the motorsports version. What is TPC's opinion on the stock vs. motorsport AOS and what will fit with the TPC kit??
Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Harris. I am in Australia, Western Australia to be precise and I have a Cayman with a TPC kit on it. I purchased it 2 months back from a fellow in Sydney. The car has the LSD, short shift, 997 clutch kit a set of OZ racing wheels and R spec tires. Next week the KW suspension goes on it. It is all about Porsche Club racing so we do everything from hill climbs to motorkahnas and track days. Competition is strong but I think the car has what it takes to be up there. Issue is G ratings we are pulling on some of the short non cambered courses. After a 2 track days I find there is tappet type noises after the run and this settles after a while on idle. I sense the oil starvation issue is lurking. Can you give suggestions or thoughts on the right kit for this. I will send photos and updates very soon. Many thanks

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Hello Harris. I am in Australia, Western Australia to be precise and I have a Cayman with a TPC kit on it. I purchased it 2 months back from a fellow in Sydney. The car has the LSD, short shift, 997 clutch kit a set of OZ racing wheels and R spec tires. Next week the KW suspension goes on it. It is all about Porsche Club racing so we do everything from hill climbs to motorkahnas and track days. Competition is strong but I think the car has what it takes to be up there. Issue is G ratings we are pulling on some of the short non cambered courses. After a 2 track days I find there is tappet type noises after the run and this settles after a while on idle. I sense the oil starvation issue is lurking. Can you give suggestions or thoughts on the right kit for this. I will send photos and updates very soon. Many thanks
Welcome to the swamp!
This is the best forum for stuff on Caymans, esp the TPC kit.
Hope you car is ok from today.
Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great to be in "the Swamp" too. I am a long way away but good to get the feedback where the action is.

From those that know better than me what is the best oil sump solution for my 2006 cayman as I think I am going to blow my engine as it gets faster and pulls more G's. Any input greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
182 Posts
From those that know better than me what is the best oil sump solution for my 2006 cayman as I think I am going to blow my engine as it gets faster and pulls more G's. Any input greatly appreciated!
Impossible to answer that question. So many opinions and no perfect solutions. I have the FVD extended oil pan/baffle system, and so far it's worked perfectly.....but she could blow tomorrow....you just don't know. I would contact LN Engineering, and/or Mantis Sport. They both have spent considerable time/money on this very issue and both have products to offer. Mantis Sport has always been very helpful in all my dealing with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts