Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting a used 981 Cayman. I've found a possible candidate, but the Porsche dealer is not listing it as certified. They said that they are willing to certify it through Porsche, but they say that they have "better" third party extended warranties.

My instinct tells me that the third-party warranties are probably just "better" from their perspective because the dealer makes more money off of them. But perhaps I'm just being cynical.

Any thoughts/experiences?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your instincts are 100%. CPO costs them about $2k. Unless they can raise the price of the car that amount to cover it - that's coming out of their profit. An aftermarket warranty mark-up is often 100%, so if they sell you one at $4,000, they're making $2,000 additional profit.

I think you can imagine which way they prefer to do the deal...

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
So true true true
But what I would add is if you are going to buy an extended warranty, don't buy it online. Buy from the dealer as long as it's at a competitive price. That way if the company goes out of business (and they do often) you will have the dealer to fall back on and if they are selling that warranty company it is probably a good company that will stand behind their plan if it isn't it will reflex poorly on the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts