Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I start my Cayman the Porsche crest flashes on the screen and at other times when I start the car it does not. Can someone tell me what determines whether the Porsche crest will come on? I am also wondering if it is supposed to come on every time as if it is supposed to I need to take it in to the dealer before I hit 50,000 miles on the CPO.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sometimes when I start my Cayman the Porsche crest flashes on the screen and at other times when I start the car it does not. Can someone tell me what determines whether the Porsche crest will come on? I am also wondering if it is supposed to come on every time as if it is supposed to I need to take it in to the dealer before I hit 50,000 miles on the CPO.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Midnight Shadow
Yes, that's interesting isn't it? . It happened to me Saturday morning when I started it up. I'd say it's occurred maybe once in every 100 start ups, but that simply a guess. Do you think there's logic behind it? That it means something? Or are those whimsical, happy-go-lucky German engineers just having some fun!

·
Registered
763 Posts
It will certainly catch your eye when (if) it ever does. It's big, bold and a little 3-D looking. It's nice. Mines a 2014 Cayman S....What year is yours Midnight?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I see the crest on my PCM if my car has been parked for a while. If I've driven it recently, it don't see the crest. I would guess that the crest means it's doing a full boot. If you don't see the crest, it's starting from some sort of stand by mode.

It seems to me that the PCM goes into standby mode when you shut the car off. If you start it again while it's still in standby mode, you don't see the crest, as it starts up quickly. But, if you don't start the car, after a while the PCM shuts down completely. Next time you start it, it has to do a full boot.

That's my guess, and it applies most of the time. There are occasions where I see the crest even if I've driven it recently, and vice-versa, so who knows. I have no clue how long it will stay in standby mode before it shuts down completely. The time seems to vary, so perhaps there is more to it than just a timer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rickyb my Cayman is a 2011 black on black. An yes when it comes on it catches your eye immediately. It doesn't stay on but for a second or so on mine.

I have tried doing various things to see if I can figure out what causes it for example leaving the CD in or out, leaving the radio on or having it off when the car starts. So far I can not figure out what makes it come on. I like it when it comes on and would choose to have it come on every time I start the car if that was a possibility. I looked in the manual but wasn't able to find anything unless I missed it somehow which is always possible. Midnight Shadow

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't driven the car for two day and when I started it up the Porsche Crest came up first. Cool I thought so the car need to sit 2 days for the crest to come up. I parked the car and 3 hours later got back in and when I started the car the Porsche crest came back up. So I still haven't a clue when or what causes the crest to come up.
Midnight Shadow

·
Revhead
366 Posts
I haven't done any empirical testing, but I suspect that the crest appears when you first insert the key into the ignition. Thus if you're in the habit of inserting the key before you climb in, you may normally miss it, and only see it if you break your routine and get seated before you insert the key.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is my understanding that it comes on waiting for the head unit to "boot up" Its like a default until the unit completely turns on. I had mine come on once that I noticed. And it was so brief I almost missed it. It is odd that it just does not stay black but that is porsche. Just teasing us... I wish mine would stay on for a few seconds. Nice touch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't done any empirical testing, but I suspect that the crest appears when you first insert the key into the ignition. Thus if you're in the habit of inserting the key before you climb in, you may normally miss it, and only see it if you break your routine and get seated before you insert the key.
Because of some physical issues I only put the key in the ignition when I have gotten myself into the car. Since I am trying to figure out what is causing the crest to come up I am watching as soon as I start to put the key in the ignition. So I don't think it has anything to do with my missing it because of not seeing it at times.
Midnight Shadow

·
Revhead
366 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with my missing it because of not seeing it at times.
Yeah, I agree, it definitely doesn't do it every time. But after more observation, it appears that it only happens if the car has been off for a while, and I remember reading that our cars go into a power-saving mode at some point, so I suspect that the Porsche crest is akin to the BIOS splash screen that you see when you power up a PC from Off or Hibernate, but not from Suspend, which would make sense since the PCM is just another computer when it comes down to it.

So perhaps the reason so few folks have seen it, is a combination of it only happening occasionally, and not everyone sitting in the car already when it does.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sometimes the crest only appears for a second, sometimes longer. My guess is that this is the PCM awakening from a sleep mode versus doing a full boot. How and when it decides to go into sleep mode versus a full shutdown remains a mystery.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I believe it comes on when a PCM system reboot is done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I agree, it definitely doesn't do it every time. But after more observation, it appears that it only happens if the car has been off for a while, and I remember reading that our cars go into a power-saving mode at some point, so I suspect that the Porsche crest is akin to the BIOS splash screen that you see when you power up a PC from Off or Hibernate, but not from Suspend, which would make sense since the PCM is just another computer when it comes down to it.

So perhaps the reason so few folks have seen it, is a combination of it only happening occasionally, and not everyone sitting in the car already when it does.

Those ideas made a lot of sense until I started the car and the crest came up and when I finished with that trip I, of course, shut the car down and came back 2-3 hours later and the crest came back up again. Many days I start the car and shut it off and it stays off for 8-10 hours or even 24 hours and when it is started up again the crest does not come up. Since it came up after only 2-3 hours that idea, while it makes sense to me, does not seem to be what determines it. The other idea of not being in the car when I start the car is not what it is in my case. As stated in one of my posts because of some physical limitations I must get in the car and be complete seated before I can put the key in the ignition. I am just completely baffled by it but would like to know what controls it. Midnight Shadow.

·
Revhead
366 Posts
Those ideas made a lot of sense until I started the car and the crest came up and when I finished with that trip I, of course, shut the car down and came back 2-3 hours later and the crest came back up again. Many days I start the car and shut it off and it stays off for 8-10 hours or even 24 hours and when it is started up again the crest does not come up. Since it came up after only 2-3 hours that idea, while it makes sense to me, does not seem to be what determines it.
Did you lock the car during that 2-3 hour layover, or leave it unlocked in your garage? It may only go into low power standby mode if the vehicle is locked.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you lock the car during that 2-3 hour layover, or leave it unlocked in your garage? It may only go into low power standby mode if the vehicle is locked.
It a sitting outside so I assume I locked it but will watch this more closely and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the new thought.
Midnight Shadow. I know I lock it at work where it is parked for 7-9 hours and the crest does not come up. Midnight Shadow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts