Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Announced today, I received notice of a proposed settlement of a Class-Action lawsuit against Porsche/VW for overstating mileage numbers on the "Mulroney" (sticker) on new vehicles. There are quite a few models and years of Porsche that are included in this settlement.

Information can be found at:

What is the Settlement about?
Porsche and Volkswagen (the “Defendants”) have agreed to a Consumer Class Action Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Settlement”) to resolve claims that certain Porsche-branded gasoline vehicles sold or leased in the United States produce excess emissions and/or obtain worse fuel economy on the road than in testing conditions. Porsche and Volkswagen deny the claims but have decided to settle. The Court has not decided who is right. A federal court has granted preliminary approval of this Settlement, and you may submit your claim now here.
For more information about what the Settlement covers, please click here. Additional information is available in the Important Documents and FAQs about the Settlement.

What does the Settlement provide?
Under the Settlement, maximum cash payments range from approximately $200 to $1,100 for original and sole owners of the Class Vehicles, depending on the model and model year of the vehicle. Former owners, lessees, and non-original owners may be eligible to claim compensation. Certain Class Vehicles will receive compensation based on changes to fuel economy, which will be reflected in an updated Monroney Label, and payments for those vehicles will vary based on months of ownership/lease. Class Vehicles with Sport+ Mode that are part of the ongoing Sport+ emissions recall will receive an additional $250 for completion of the recall. The total value of the Settlement is at least $80 million.

Wheel Tire Sky Water Vehicle

Photo so this thread can be included in the Featured Threads..

Reactions: foodbiker

·
2013 Cayenne diesel
87 Posts
Looks like, as stated, diesels are not included -
As we do TSD rally, our odometer has been off consistently by 3 mph plus 5%
This has to figure into the MPG indicated.

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to read up on this. I see both of mine are on here… I have a c-class and always wondered how accurate the odometer read
The odometers are typically fairly accurate.

The speedometer reading is purposely high due to TUV requirements that a speedometer can't read low, so the manufacturers typically take into account the difference in diameter of the various tires that fit the car. Then they add in an additional fudge factor. Typical setting is + ~2MPH above some low speed + 5% of the actual speed.. meaning that when it's indicating 72MPH, my car is actually going 68MPH (according to speed check signs), and indicated 28-29MPH = 25MPH real speed.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The odometers are typically fairly accurate.

The speedometer reading is purposely high due to TUV requirements that a speedometer can't read low, so the manufacturers typically take into account the difference in diameter of the various tires that fit the car..
Odd that my ‘15 Golf is spot on speed with Waze and Google maps. ‘14 981C is off by 2mph.

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Odd that my ‘15 Golf is spot on speed with Waze and Google maps. ‘14 981C is off by 2mph.

Shawn in VA (USA)
Where was your Golf made and is it on stock size tires? If I felt like digging I could turn up the official explanation from BMW.. but it's really not worth the time, nor is it on-topic for this thread.

Lots of info at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer - including some of the regulating agreements that govern speedometer accuracy, and some interesting info on GPS speed accuracy.

How about we keep this thread to the Class-Action? We can always start a new thread for speedometers..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Both my 07 Cayman S and ‘15 GTI speedometer are fairly consistently reading 3kmh higher than our Garmin GPS. Not sure how accurate GPS units are

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,745 Posts
Where was your Golf made and is it on stock size tires? If I felt like digging I could turn up the official explanation from BMW.. but it's really not worth the time, nor is it on-topic for this thread.

Lots of info at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer - including some of the regulating agreements that govern speedometer accuracy, and some interesting info on GPS speed accuracy.

How about we keep this thread to the Class-Action? We can always start a new thread for speedometers..
Golf’s are still made in WOB.

Tire sizes can definitely effect that. Interesting to see how this plays out

·
Registered
242 Posts
Golf’s are still made in WOB.

Tire sizes can definitely effect that. Interesting to see how this plays out
The Golf for the North American market have been built in Mexico since the 2015 model year, with the exception of the Golf R.

Edit: I stand corrected the Golf is currently produced in Germany again as of 2019 AFAIK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today on one of the Boxster (or perhaps Cayenne) groups on Facebook there were doubting Thomases all adither that this is a hoax. And as usual, spouting crapola as fact. So I enlightened them, but being FB I don't expect it to take.

The class action has gotten coverage by news sources now, if you Google "porsche class action lawsuit mileage" you'll see that this thread is considered authoritative - we're sandwiched between topclassactions.com and moneyusnews.com.

Some of the coverage:

Did I ever mention how much I detest Facebook?

·
Registered
446 Posts
What a joke! I have 981 Cayman S, good for $3.81/month + $250 if I let them ruin sport chrono.

Since I am not the original owner, I probably would get nothing.

That being said, my car gets 32mpg doing 85, that and I don't give a **** about mileage.

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
There is already a thread on this topic. It's not spam. It's legit. Reported places like the Wall Street Journal and various automotive media.

Hang on.. just merged the two..

·
Administrator
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just received my 3rd one today... so I have one for the 2006 Cayenne S that I no longer own and have no paperwork on, for the 2009 Boxster that I still own and have paperwork on, and for the 2011 Cayenne Turbo that I still own and have paperwork on. I guess I'll submit the two that I still own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts