Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post up here for any that don't know that on January 8th Porsche Club UAE will be hosting a track day at the Abu Dhabi Yas Marina Circuit at night.

Even if you're not a Porsche Club member but are in Abu Dhabi then come down anyway.

See Porsche Club UAE for more info :cheers:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm filled with envy right now :p
Me too!!! I would absolutely love to see and drive that track. It is incredible!! I am hopeful that Porsche AG will sponsor a Porsche driving course at the track and maybe, just maybe, I can convince my wife for us to go!!!

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
I am curious about running track days at night - this would be a pretty rare occurrence in the US, but it seems to be more common in your part of the world.

Is it because of track availability, the heat during the daytime, or just because they like to run at night? Do they have lighting on the track (other than the cars headlamps)?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Both the Dubai Autodrome and Yas Marina (It seems now) run evening events and I guess it is for heat and gives us the best possible times, life of tyres etc.

Dubai Autodrome has always run morning, afternoon and night track days and I guess it gives a nice contrast and saves me waking up super early to be at the track for a morning run :dance:

I'm all ready just bought a new helmet today, got my gloves and driving boots for Chirstmas, it was a Porsche christmas for me! Just wish I could get some Bridgestone RE-011's on the car in time for the tarck...but I doubt it.
The car should look great for the track as it's with the dealer having some bodywork done (their fault/damage) and a free full detail inside and out and protech treatment as compensation.

Rock on the 8th! Can't wait to drive on the Yas Marina circuit after watching the F1 and Porsche Cup from the stands and guess we'll be one of the first clubs to go on the circuit.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news and bad news.

The bad news was I couldn't register for the event when I was back in Europe and when I could it was full. :( :eek:

The good stuff was that 65 cars had registered for the track evening :eek: and we were the first owners club to go out on the Yas Marina Circuit.

However, I still headed down to lend a hand and took the opportunity to be a passenger for a change, and at least try my new helmet, with a few guys that I've come to know from other events.

Took a ride out in a Cayenne GTS to start with and boy in the right hands can those things handle, and in this case the driver was giving some serious cars a run for their money.

Next was a couple of sessions out in a Carrera GT :dance:
Boy does that thing shift but the shifts are, as I had read about, snatchy. We were driving with the windows down and to hear the engine down the longest straight at around 250 km/h (155 mph) was heavenly.
The first session out in the GT was cut short after a coolant leak occurred on a Cayenne, which made it very slipery out on the last 3-4 turns where it had taken a p1ss, but very quickly the session was red flagged and the spill cleared up.

Last but not least was a 997 GT3 RS (One of 6 or so out that day) which just seemed to have endless grip and the driver was pushing nicely.

The track is fantastic and very technical and is completely different to the Dubai Autodrome, which has a wide track, long run offs and only a few tricky turns. Yas Marina on the other hand is narrow, with close walls, tight turns a number of which are off camber and with late apexes which make it very demanding on car and driver and the 30 minute sessions that were run that day may be a little tough on the Cayman!
The lighting on the track was great and actually seemed better than driving during the day, and to see the whole track lit up for us and the hotel all lit up was great. It must have been a great view for hotel guests out on the terrace watching us passing by them through two 2nd gear turns.

I had fun chatting with various owners and everyone loved the track. Driving finished at midnight after which we packed up and headed for a drink on the rooftop of the hotel, with me making it back to Dubai by 3am.

The next event maybe as soon as next month at Yas Marina and so I'll definitely be driving if I'm about then!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We've got another event now on the 12th February....and guess who was the first to sign up for it :)

At the end of Feb we should be doing the Dubai Autodrome, as well so a busy month for the CS :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts