Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking, first post. Thinking about moving from a BMW 650GC to a Boxster S.

I have never driven a Porsche and wanted to know if Porsche does anything like BMW.

Last week, I got invited to the Meadowlands (where the NY Giants and Jets play for those not from NJ) where BMW has all of their cars out where you can driven them around. Much more than a test drive but not necessarily a track session. I got to drive an M2 as well as the i8. I mention this because it's a really good marketing event.

Anyway, after driving the M2, I realized that I need a very fun car to drive. Love the GC but it's not a drivers car, looks amazing however.

Anyway hope to join the family soon enough.

Rippey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Porsche used to do a "roadshow" but believe that's discontinued. Best option is visit local dealer. You can also travel to the Porsche center in Atlanta and drive their cars on various exercises and a short track. Including travel and fees that can be pricey although it's a fun experience. You should be able to find some threads on the PEC with a search. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Still running roadshows in Canada...maybe because we don't have Experience Centers. I attended two in the past while: one for the 991.2s and one for the 718s.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking about going to the experience center in ATL, make a weekend of it. Either that or rend a 718 here for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Porsche has Experience CEnters in Atlanta and somewhere on the left coast. I've done the BMW thing you talk about and it was fun.

That said, A Boxster and your BMW are as different as night and day. I have a 2014 Cayman S and a 2017 BMW 440i Grand Coupe for daily use. Love them both but they are very different cars. Have you given deep thought to defining exactly what are your wants and needs?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Porsche has Experience CEnters in Atlanta and somewhere on the left coast. I've done the BMW thing you talk about and it was fun.

That said, A Boxster and your BMW are as different as night and day. I have a 2014 Cayman S and a 2017 BMW 440i Grand Coupe for daily use. Love them both but they are very different cars. Have you given deep thought to defining exactly what are your wants and needs?
Yes I have. Before the 650gc I had a 3.2TT.

I am mostly alone in my car although I have two preteens. My wife now has a Countryman JCW where the kids mostly ride in. Hence I usually drive alone with a big *** car. Very nice but it's a rolling sofa.

After driving the M2 (and the i8) I realized that having a nice LOOKING (650gc is very pretty) car is not as fun as having a nice DRIVING car. After driving the i8 I really realized that. The i8 is a fun to drive as the 650gc which is, fun as long as it doesn't get too twisty. Well most of the fun is in the twisters imho.

When I has the TT, I would dart around with a smile on my face although the kids hated they back seat (hence he move to the 650gc). Get on the Merrit Parkway in the TT was a blast, in he 650gc, it was, well fast but white knuckles the whole trip.

With the JCW in the household now, we can use that to carry the kids and my car for fun.

That's my logic.

Rippey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Whoa~! Please tell me what the secret handshake is so that I can get myself invited to one? Hopefully the prerequisite is something easier than a previous GT4 ownership?[/

How it's decided who gets invites would vary by dealer. I've bought three cars (2 new, 1 used) from the dealer, have raced with both the General Manager and the New Car Sales Manager, and there are probably 8 or so people in the dealership - from sales to parts to service to finance - that I'm on a first-name basis with. Last year, I made it known that I would be getting out of my 911 GTS soon, and the new car manager knew that while I preferred a 2-seater over a 2+2, I had bought 2 911s from them. Hence an invite to the 991.2 and the 718 Road Shows.

Reactions: Traum

·
Registered
257 Posts
Get on the Merrit Parkway in the TT was a blast, in he 650gc, it was, well fast but white knuckles the whole trip.
We've owned all generations of the TT including the 3.2TT and now the third generation 2017 TT. The Merritt is the perfect highway for the second generation 3.2TT - medium radius curves (not twisties so much) and thus the TT's understeer is not so apparent. As a 718 Boxster S owner, I can assure you that if you loved the TT, you will really relish the 718 Boxster S. I'd suggest you hit one of the North Jersey Porsche dealers up for a Sunday loaner in a 718 Boxster S.

BTW, if you like Audi TT's, the third generation TT is a really good car and the TT-S is a pretty darn impressive drive (but it's suspension is harsh compared to the 718, especially with the 20" wheels that all the dealers seem to have ordered on their TT-S's). Even so, the third generation TT is still not at the level of a Cayman/Boxster. I'm assuming the upcoming Audi TT-RS will be a monster, but again, it will likely not have the handling finesse of the Porsche 718, but it will "rule" the Merritt.

If you get a Boxster S tester, nothing like a fast run up Seven Lakes Drive to Bear Mountain on a spring day with the top down. About as good as it gets in "our neck of the woods".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.