Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt Porsche uses WEC (919) as rolling lab for upcoming hybrid tech:

"Porsche continues racing into the future with the 919 Hybrid: The board of Porsche AG has decided to extend the Le Mans prototype programme until the end of the 2018 season. With its ground-breaking concept – a downsizing turbo engine and powerful energy recovery systems, combined with an extreme lightweight design – the racing car with a performance of around 1,000 hp serves as a research laboratory for future sports car technology.

Matthias Müller, Chairman of the Executive Board of Porsche AG, said: “Motorsport is an important part of Porsche’s brand identity – but not an end in itself. Racing has got to help the technology of future road going sports cars. It was the revolutionary efficiency regulations that convinced us to return to top-level motorsport for the 2014 season. That we have managed to take the crown jewels of endurance racing in only our second year, with a one-two result in Le Mans in 2015 with our highly innovative and complex 919, is an outstanding testimony to the people in the Weissach research and development centre. The competition bears fruits and we see further potential for future synergy between the racing and road car programmes. This is why we have extended the programme.”

For class one Le Mans prototypes (LMP1) entered by manufacturers, the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) regulations stipulate hybrid systems and limit the amount of energy (fuel and electricity) available per lap.

Wolfgang Hatz, Member of the Executive Board, Research and Development, underlined this: “Porsche sets bench marks in the WEC. The two-litre V4-cylinder turbo charged petrol engine with a performance of over 500 hp is the most efficient combustion engine we have built so far. We are the only ones able to generate eight megajoule of electrical energy per lap in Le Mans from our two energy recovery systems. It is easy to detect that the challenge provided by the sport pushes our engineers to extreme performances.”

Fritz Enzinger, Vice President LMP1, added: “Back in 2012 we began in Weissach with a handful of people, literally a white sheet of paper, high expectations and a strong amount of courage. I’m very proud of this team of 230 employees and I’m pleased for each of them that from now on we can plan securely for three more world championship seasons and Le Mans entries.”

From Porsche Team press release"

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Notice what Muller says about racing! Not an ends to a means! "Revolutionary efficiency regulations" Euro pollution standards? "We see further potential for future synergy between the racing and road going programmes" and there it is! So dear readers get ready for small engines, hybrids and pure electrics down the road. As we all have previously stated.

·
Registered
294 Posts
and in a beautiful color to boot! Ideally it would have been great to be able to keep the 2014, just in case some USA roadway knucklehead leads one to an early demise. Unfortunately though, we do not live in a perfect world.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, and it is why I replaced my 2014 Cayman with my 2016 Cayman to get the last of the boxer 6s to hold me over for awhile :).
Yes sir, that's what's coming down the pike, small displacement and batteries.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,852 Posts
Whatever Porsche decides to do, I am confident they will execute it well. I for one will enjoy driving my GT4, as a shining example of its kind, but I'll just as anxiously await a hybrid turbo 4/electric hybrid when Porsche brings it to market at an affordable price point. Its combined performance and efficiency will doubtless impress even the most jaded laggards. Yes, it will sound and feel different than what we are accustomed to driving in a sports car, but I'm sure it will be exhilarating in its own way. Kudos to Porsche for setting the benchmark, yet again. Racing truly does improve the breed. Leave it to Porsche to interpret and navigate the impending legislative "waters" in a way that emphasizes performance, instead of succumbing to the pressure and producing boring driving appliances.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have no doubt Porsche will do a fine job with the turbo 4.......and, all things being equal after they have been out for a year or two I just might see how they fair to see if I want to put a toe in that water. In the meantime, I will enjoy the sweet sound of that boxer 6 which now appears to be even sweeter sounding with the optional twin tips :).

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Factory ordered twin tips. They made a much bigger difference in the sound than I expected. I did a side by side compare with the 2014 Cayman 2.7L Oval before I drove away last Friday. And, as someone asked in another thread...........yes the car was warmed up so it was not the initial raspiness that accompanies the 2.7L at initial start up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What a contrast to Indy Car or NASCAR where just about every nut and bolt is regulated...no innovation at all. I love the LMP1, just like the old days at Indy where it was Offy's, Turbines, NOVI's and stock blocks all competing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts