Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These 718 GT4 and Spyder are the latest of their type from Porsche, I am curious if they have improved how the on board computers monitor the suspension... I recall that my 2016 Boxster GTS has arms attached to the suspension that provided information regarding suspension travel and position.

The C8 (and the Z/28) have some neat features that help update suspensions conditions in a more modern way, accelerometers, any idea what Porsche used on the 718 GT cars?

So the Z/28 was first, here is the reason it was done:

It is now on the C8 and here is a further explanation of how it was implemented, pretty cool stuff!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It shouldn't come as a surprise. Their (GM) suspension management has been bought by quite a few. I believe Ferrari is also a customer - don't kill me, going by failing memory.

In the end, we should be very, VERY grateful to GM's bean counters (reference to Bob Lutz's book "Car guys vs bean counters"). It is a scary thought what GM engineers could do if they were not held on a hyper short and tight leash by suits and bean counters.

Full disclosure : I never owned any GM vehicles, not even Opel in Europe (or here in Buick guise). I also have to admit that already gone last iteration of Impala is still my favorite normal rental when driving in US. I do appreciate occasional A6 or new 3 series in EU, but here ... Impala is about as perfect as a car for that purpose can get. Not ashamed at all to admit. Too bad it came 20 years too late. Thank suits and bean counters for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
this "technology" is in my 987 and was even in my 2002 Audi TT! I know because on the Audi I jacked it up and saw the mechanical arm that extends as the wheels leave the ground, in the Audi's case they also start flashing your lights in case you flew off the road.

On my 987 there is a "bump" near my home where if you hit it above 65 MPH you catch air and all four tires leave the ground. The traction control lights up on the dash but the landing is easily handled. Quite the opposite happens if I launch our 2018 Mazda 3. When it leaves the road and lands all four tires lock up and for a split second your tires chirp.

I'm surprised it took GM this long to engineer something, even if its just a mechanical arm like the 2002 Audi.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this "technology" is in my 987 and was even in my 2002 Audi TT! I know because on the Audi I jacked it up and saw the mechanical arm that extends as the wheels leave the ground, in the Audi's case they also start flashing your lights in case you flew off the road.

On my 987 there is a "bump" near my home where if you hit it above 65 MPH you catch air and all four tires leave the ground. The traction control lights up on the dash but the landing is easily handled. Quite the opposite happens if I launch our 2018 Mazda 3. When it leaves the road and lands all four tires lock up and for a split second your tires chirp.

I'm surprised it took GM this long to engineer something, even if its just a mechanical arm like the 2002 Audi.
I think we are talking about 2 different things here... not traction control, but rather the onboard computer ensuring that it understands by the car vector and attitude that has not left the road and will allow the engine to provide power wen the wheels touch down..

Did you look at the video's?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts