Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I ordered the light design package with my 718 based on the description on the Porsche Configurator (Porsche.com/USA).

After going back and rereading the description of the package last weekend, I believe what I have (whatever that is) falls short.

As follows is the description via the Porsche Configurator:

Eyewear Glasses Product Font Personal protective equipment

I sat in my garage last night after pulling in and I actively searched for the following:

"additional" LED ambient lighting on the...

1. Overhead console (check)
2. door handles (nope)
3. door storage (nope)
4. front footwells (there are lights in the two footwells, are they ambient? I don't know. They only appear on when I open the door or turn the car off)
5. Additional LED lighting for vanity mirrors (I have lights on for the mirrors, I would guess what I have would come stock. Are lights for the mirrors stock?)
6. Additional LED lighting in the luggage compartments (I have LED lighting in the luggage compartments, but would think these would come stock as well)

When I think of ambient lighting, I think of my previous Mini Cooper or my wife's Audi where there is constant dimmable rope type light tucked into nooks of the door providing low ambient lighting. Other than the two little white strips that appears to glow on the overhead console, I don't see ambient lighting anywhere.

Does anyone here know more about this mysterious package?

Here's what I'm thinking ambient lighting looks like:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Okay, I ordered the light design package with my 718 based on the description on the Porsche Configurator (Porsche.com/USA).

After going back and rereading the description of the package last weekend, I believe what I have (whatever that is) falls short.

As follows is the description via the Porsche Configurator:

-image-

I sat in my garage last night after pulling in and I actively searched for the following:

"additional" LED ambient lighting on the...

1. Overhead console (check)
2. door handles (nope)
3. door storage (nope)
4. front footwells (there are lights in the two footwells, are they ambient? I don't know. They only appear on when I open the door or turn the car off)
5. Additional LED lighting for vanity mirrors (I have lights on for the mirrors, I would guess what I have would come stock. Are lights for the mirrors stock?)
6. Additional LED lighting in the luggage compartments (I have LED lighting in the luggage compartments, but would think these would come stock as well)

When I think of ambient lighting, I think of my previous Mini Cooper or my wife's Audi where there is constant dimmable rope type light tucked into nooks of the door providing low ambient lighting. Other than the two little white strips that appears to glow on the overhead console, I don't see ambient lighting anywhere.

Does anyone here know more about this mysterious package?

Here's what I'm thinking ambient lighting looks like:

-image-
I don't have this - but the only thing I can think of is if those lighting are only available when doors open. Maybe, also, there's settings to configure so the door handles / storage turn on.

Also, for #5 and #6 - this is Porsche, don't EVER assume it comes standard. I can confirm I don't have any of those lights.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have it too. It's very subtle. Only in very dark areas you'll notice the lights on the door. There's an ambient light in the open pocket area, and another on the pocket that pulls outwards. The footwell lights are a little brighter and more noticeable, but still pretty subtle.

Vanity mirror lights are *not* standard. Same with the trunk lights.

You can toggle ambient lights on/off on the overhead section. On the right side (opposite the parking sensor button) you'll see the toggle.

It looks nothing like your picture. Not even close. It's probably the most subtle interior lights I've seen in any car.

I think it was well worth it. I guess if you expected something much brighter and noticeable, you might be disappointed. It sucks that the glove box light isn't and LED. That's the only non LED I can find.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great replies, thanks so much. This has been very helpful.

Cheers.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It came on my preowned 2014 CS. As far as I'm concerned it is a total waste of money. It appears to me what was paid for was LEDs in place of incandescent lights. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It came on my preowned 2014 CS. As far as I'm concerned it is a total waste of money. It appears to me what was paid for was LEDs in place of incandescent lights. Just my opinion.
I don't know about that. Based on iliveoncaffine's reply, you wouldn't have lighting for vanity mirrors or in the luggage compartments w/o the light design package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.