Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The new Porsche LMP1 sports prototype, which will compete in the sports car World Endurance Championship (WEC) and in the 24 Hours of Le Mans from 2014, successfully completed its first rollout today on the Porsche test track in Weissach. Before the eyes of the entire Board of Porsche AG, Porsche works driver Timo Bernhard took his new ‘wheels' through its initial function check.
More: Successful rollout for new Porsche LMP1 sports prototype.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Which unfortunately won't race in the US due to the new classes in the new combined Grand AM and ALMS series...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Lets hope for the best, it's sad it won't come the US......

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it SHOULD race in the US next year. It won't race in USCR, but it will be an entrant in the season-long WEC series which at least this year is running at CotA in September.

It sucks it won't be at Sebring or Road Atlanta, but it would have never run a full season in ALMS anyway. It may have shown up at those two races, but that is about all we could expect in the past; same as Audi and Peugeot did in ALMS for many years. The fact that LMP1 cars did not show up in large numbers at most ALMS races (which IMHO is because P1 is a manufacturer dominated class and US manufacturers are not participating) is largely the reason the class has been dropped from USCR.

I'm not a Grand-AM fan or a NASCAR fan in general, but I think the real reasons for the loss of P1 in USCR are pretty understandable and realistic. Still makes me sad not to see it laying down rubber and bouncing through Turn 17 at Sebring next March... :(

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Actually, it SHOULD race in the US next year. It won't race in USCR, but it will be an entrant in the season-long WEC series which at least this year is running at CotA in September.

It sucks it won't be at Sebring or Road Atlanta, but it would have never run a full season in ALMS anyway. It may have shown up at those two races, but that is about all we could expect in the past; same as Audi and Peugeot did in ALMS for many years. The fact that LMP1 cars did not show up in large numbers at most ALMS races (which IMHO is because P1 is a manufacturer dominated class and US manufacturers are not participating) is largely the reason the class has been dropped from USCR.

I'm not a Grand-AM fan or a NASCAR fan in general, but I think the real reasons for the loss of P1 in USCR are pretty understandable and realistic. Still makes me sad not to see it laying down rubber and bouncing through Turn 17 at Sebring next March... :(
You're absolutely correct, if WEC includes COTA next year it will be here.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
"Unfortunately, no details on the car have been revealed, though it’s expected to feature a gasoline powerplant as its main power unit to help separate it from Volkswagen Group stablemate Audi, which will likely stick with its proven TDI diesel technology. At the same time, there will be at least one form of energy recovery technology in line with the 2014 regulations for the LMP1 category. Don’t be surprised if we see the car’s technology tied with that found in the upcoming 918 Spyder."

Reading through Mulsanne's Corner news, I found this very interesting bit:

"A little blurb came my way today that came via an attendee of the London Institute of Mechanical Engineers technical lecture series recently presented by Mr. Ulrich Baretzky. During the lecture Mr. Baretzky elaborated a bit on the relationship between Audi and Porsche and specifically about what to expect regarding the 2014 LMP season. Many believe, me included, that with Porsche's entrance Audi would bow out before the start of the 2014 season. Not so says Baretzky, and my source indicated that according to Baretzky, "Piech wants Audi to continue doing what they are doing in LMP1 with diesel technology as 70% of Audis and VWs sold are with Diesel engines. And he wants Porsche to compete in LMP1 with gasoline technology in order to show-case gasoline engine technology to the world." Yes I know, this isn't an official announcement from Audi. But you gotta think Baretzky isn't going to be making public statements as such without the approval of Volkswagen Audi Group..."

Baretzky is the gentleman who oversees Audi Motorsport engine designs and development, he also brought in Porsche's top engine guy for the LMP 1 effort Thomas Laudenbach, into the Audi fold.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newssept12.html

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Mods.....is it possible to start a Porsche LMP 1 effort sticky, it'll make it easier on those that will be following the progress and eventual deployment of car? Also it's probably a good a idea to merge both threads on this under sticky...........as always: thank you gentlemen.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That picture with people standing around the car, COMPLETELY changes the apparent dimension of the car to one that has a much more pronounced front end. It is almost as if the front is really 30 inches tall!
The front fenders are acting like wing endplates to improve aero efficiency of the nose section.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
As nice as the LMP is, I have a special spot for the 962, and in my opinion it's a nicer looking machine.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Some further details on LMP program:

"Porsche's highly anticipated entry into the LMP1 ranks of the FIA World Endurance Championship continues to build momentum, with the German manufacturer confirming this weekend that its program will be run by a new factory team based out of its Weissach, Germany headquarters.

Additionally, Wolfgang Hatz, Porsche AG Board of Management Member for Research and Development, revealed the first roll-out of the new-generation prototype will come in the middle of next year, ahead of a planned full-season attack in the FIA WEC in 2014.

Leading new LMP1 program will be Fritz Enzinger, the former head of BMW's Formula One program, while Porsche's Head of Motorsport, Hartmut Kristen, will continue to maintain all of the manufacturers' other motorsports programs worldwide.

Details of the program were announced Saturday evening at Porsche's "Night of Champions" celebration in Stuttgart, where confirmation also came that all nine of the current Porsche factory drivers have been retained for 2013.

They include: Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Long, Marc Lieb, Richard Lietz, Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas, Wolf Henzler, Patrick Pilet and Marco Holzer."

"Since the decision in mid-2011 to return with the LMP1 racer to top motorsport as a works effort, the Motorsport Center at Weissach has grown significantly. A workshop and an administration building were built and accommodate around 200 employees who are responsible for the design, assembly and deployment of the LMP1 car. From the 2014 season, the racer will be fielded by a Weissach-based works squad."

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Look at the Porsche and compare to the Audi......

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
It would be good to merge the threads dealing with LMP1 into one, if possible. Stratman and I have exchanged a few posts on another thread about Porsche's return to the premier LM class.
The Audi looks the way it does in main part due to their decision a couple of years ago to run the same tires front and rear. It makes a lot of sense, and now all LMP1 cars run this arrangement. The Porsche LMP1 prototype in the photo has "tall" fenders for two reasons--the large front tires, and the BHHs (Big Honking Holes) mandated by the regulations. Next year the BHHs can be either vertical or horizontal, so we might see "full" fenders again, at least above the wheels.
I agree with stratman that the 962 was a fabulous LM car. I have a model of nearly every LM car available (including the v. expensive Mazda 767B by AUTOart !) and the Rothmans 962 is a real standout model, and car. Got to see a few examples at Rennsport Reunion.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I thought for safety reasons, 2014 fenders were not going to be as tall as in 2013, also the cockpit dimensions were being revised for better visibility.

I wonder what color is going to be fielded by Porsche.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hate to break with the tribe, but I hope Audi cleans their clock next year (I'm originally an Audi guy after all). Wouldn't it be great if Audi (11) got a little closer to Porsche (16) in Le Mans wins?
Then you'd get that Man United/ Liverpool or Rangers/ Celtic vibe of two titans fighting for supremacy!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yes, you're right stratman, there was much concern over visibility after McNish's huge accident, and they changed the cockpit a lot to improve it. But I still think the tires determine the fender height, and there's not much they can do to lower that. In-car video from the cars as they ran at Sebring this year reveals they still have very poor visibility over those fenders!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Hate to break with the tribe, but I hope Audi cleans their clock next year (I'm originally an Audi guy after all). Wouldn't it be great if Audi (11) got a little closer to Porsche (16) in Le Mans wins?
Then you'd get that Man United/ Liverpool or Rangers/ Celtic vibe of two titans fighting for supremacy!
It might be tougher for one reason, the FIA keeps putting more and more restrictions on diesel powered cars, according to Porsche they'll be using gas while Audi will be strictly diesel, so who knows Porsche might have a slight advantage. I do hope it'll be the beginning of a rabid, no holds barred rivalry. We know the sport needs it.

I'm looking forward to fly the Porsche flag when they start racing.

Reactions: Blue Spur

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Yes, you're right stratman, there was much concern over visibility after McNish's huge accident, and they changed the cockpit a lot to improve it. But I still think the tires determine the fender height, and there's not much they can do to lower that. In-car video from the cars as they ran at Sebring this year reveals they still have very poor visibility over those fenders!
Agreed, it's very cramped. I read that Audi uses a digital rear-view mirror with an AMOLED display. I give them this they sure let the racing tech trickle down to the road cars. Something we need our brand to start doing more frequently.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Click on car thumbnail to see numbered description.

Mulsanne's Corner analysis:

>It's been a while since we've had a Porsche to talk about, much less draw on! In an effort to mask certain details Porsche has gone with an interesting Dazzle Ship paint job as well as only releasing carefully chosen angles. But it gets everyone talking and it will give the 1/43 model makers one more livery to sell...

The Porsche LMP1 (type name unknown for the moment) is a 2014 rules car thus some features are new; narrow width (1900 mm), full width rear wing, etc. And while few technical details are known, we do know that the car will utilize a hybrid system and the expectation is that it will be mounted forward in the chassis with evidence being the cooling inlet slot in the nose (1). With the elimination of the regulation that governed the speed when a front mounted system could release its power (only above 120 km/h) it can be expected that the trend would revert to favoring front located hybrid systems from a desire to optimize weight distribution.

The Porsche's brakes are cooled by brake ducts (2) either side of the nosebox and the front wing hangs from the nosebox via simple posts (3). Yes, this is the "open" splitter concept; but remember that the 2014 regulations have changed regarding those non-wing wings and the days of diffusers are more than likely gone given the efficiency advantage of a front wing setup. Some will decry this, front wings don't belong on a sportscar after all, but the ACO sees this also as a way to further improve the historic sportscar front balance issue. At the outboard edge of the front splitter is an interesting undercut (4).

Rear brakes appear to be cooled by a ducts in the rear fenders (5) and Porsche has offset the sidepod inboard slightly down the length of the wheelbase freeing up a slight outboard "edge" (6). It's no "ankle cutter" (see the Jaguar XJR-10 for a more appropriate example), but just another interesting detail if nothing more.

Porsche has opted for a squat and rectangular engine intake (7).

One of the bigger regulation changes for 2014 is the increase in height for the front and rear roll over structures. I've mentioned this a bit in the write up for the Perrinn LMP1 (below). The front roll over hoop is now 950 mm tall, the rear 935 mm. The increase at the front is a mere 30 mm compared to current regulations (little over 1"), but there is an element of interpretation as the regulation also seems to state that the 950 mm height must maintained for 300 mm in the X dimension (front view) for the front hoop rollover hoop and at the rear the 935 mm height must be maintained for 400 mm in X. With that in mind, Porsche has created a stepped roof shape in order to accommodate the roll over hoop dimensions (8). At the moment, Porsche's interpretation hasn't been universally accepted.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
LeMans testing/qualifying in full swing right now!

FIA WEC LIVE

4 99 Run LM GTE Pro ASTON MARTIN RACING MAKOWIECKI F. ASTON MARTIN Vantage V8 M 7 16.179 4:17.862 4:17.862 190.3

6 91 Run LM GTE Pro Porsche AG TEAM MANTHEY BERNHARD T. PORSCHE 911 RSR M 3 21.242 4:22.925 4:22.925 186.6

First and second in GTE class.....go Manthey!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts