Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Update:

2013 Le Mans 24: Audi Beats Best Time From Last Year
Posted by: newsla on Jun 20, 2013 - 06:43 AM

"After a shortened first day of practice for the anniversary event of the Le Mans 24 Hours (start on Saturday at 1500 CEST) all three Audi R18 e-tron quattro cars are at the front of the field. The Frenchman Loïc Duval managed to beat the best time from last year by almost 1.5 seconds."

"To date, Audi has started from the pole position seven times at the Le Mans 24 Hours, which celebrates its 90th anniversary this year, and has won the world’s most important endurance race eleven times at 14 runs."

Qualifying 1 results:
1 Duval/Kristensen/McNish (Audi R18 e-tron quattro) 3m 22.349s
2 di Grassi/Gené/Jarvis (Audi R18 e-tron quattro) 3m 24.341s
3 Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer (Audi R18 e-tron quattro) 3m 25.474s

4 Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima (Toyota) 3m 26.676s
5 Prost/Jani/Heidfeld (Lola-Toyota) 3m 30.423s
6 Davidson/Buemi/Sarrazin (Toyota) 3m 30.841s

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Another strong, early showing from the Audis. I hope they make another one of those cool movies like they did in 2008 and 2011!
I'm a big unashamed Audi LM fan. Not a fanboy, but just appreciate the tremendous seriousness the organization brings to winning. The win in 2011 after losing the other two cars in the most amazing accidents was truly the stuff of legends. Great drivers, great engineers, great manager, great organization, and pretty cool cars.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Another strong, early showing from the Audis. I hope they make another one of those cool movies like they did in 2008 and 2011!
I'm a big unashamed Audi LM fan. Not a fanboy, but just appreciate the tremendous seriousness the organization brings to winning. The win in 2011 after losing the other two cars in the most amazing accidents was truly the stuff of legends. Great drivers, great engineers, great manager, great organization, and pretty cool cars.
Couldn't agree with you more, Dr. Ullrich is a class act. Dr. G, I must thank you for introducing me to mulsanne's corner, what an amazing site. Team Manthey, also known as Porsche AG/Manthey is doing very well in the GTE Pro, good for them. This is going to be a great race, but next year new rules, new cars and of course Porsche. Aston Martin is fielding five cars, they came to win! Never count out the 458s, which have DFI and ironically the 991 GT3 RSR doesn't, I can't wait to see how Manthey is going to work out the fuel strategy.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I started a 2013 LM thread, hoping that we can focus on the race there, and keep this thread alive for the "larger" discussion of Porsche's return to LMP1 racing. What do you think?
BTW, there's also a link between Mulsanne's Corner and the magazine Race Car Engineering. Now that's a niche publication if ever there was one!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I started a 2013 LM thread, hoping that we can focus on the race there, and keep this thread alive for the "larger" discussion of Porsche's return to LMP1 racing. What do you think?
BTW, there's also a link between Mulsanne's Corner and the magazine Race Car Engineering. Now that's a niche publication if ever there was one!
Good idea, I'm sure this thread will grow as we near 2014, in the mean time we can take the LM discussion to other thread.

·
Registered
619 Posts

Would you mind pointing me towards that thread. I can't seem to find it.

My DVR will be busy this weekend.

Thanks,

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Thank you. Great site. I misunderstood and thought that another P9 thread had been started to cover LeMans.
It has, it was started by Dr. G, it's in "automotive off topic" forum.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Third driver for the LMP 1 Porsche effort announced:

No Mark Webber.

Courtesy of Paddocktalk.com

"2013 Le Mans 24: Neel Jani Races The LMP1 Porsche
Posted by: newsla on Jun 24, 2013 - 05:29 PM

2013 Le Mans 24: Neel Jani Races The LMP1 Porsche

Another driver has been confirmed to contest the top class of the sports car World Endurance Championship (WEC) and the Le Mans 24 Hours. The ex-Formula 1 test pilot Neel Jani (29) from Switzerland will join Timo Bernhard (Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) for testing and from 2014 onwards will take the wheel of one of the two new LMP1 vehicles from Weissach. Jani’s contract with Porsche extending over several years begins on 1st July. In addition to test driving the Porsche, the experienced sports car pilot will complete his planned race schedule for 2013 with the Rebellion team in the American Le Mans Series and in the sports car WEC.

Neel Jani began his career in the classical way at the age of 12 in karting and at age 16 went on to race single-seaters. In 2002, he concluded the European Formula Renault 2000 championship as runner-up. The following season he clinched vice championship honors in the European Formula Renault V6 series. In 2003 and 2004, Jani was a Formula 1 test driver for Sauber and in 2005 he scored two GP2 victories. During the winter season of 2005/2006, he secured second overall for Switzerland in the global A1GP series and in 2006 was signed on as test and reserve driver for the Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula 1 team. In 2007, he switched to the American Champcar Series and clinched three podium places. For the 2007/2008 season he returned to the A1GP, took home the title after four victories and went on to secure yet another runner-up title the following year. In 2009, Jani contested the Le Mans 24 Hours for the first time and finished twelfth in the LMP1 class. Since 2010, he has competed for the Rebellion Racing team.

“To compete for Porsche in the sports car World Endurance Championship and at the Le Mans 24 Hours is a dream come true,” says Neel Jani. “I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel for the first time and contributing my test driving experience. Porsche is incomparable with any other marque in sports car racing and I’m proud to now be a part of the Porsche works team. My goal is to win the Le Mans 24 Hours and secure the WEC World Championship title with Porsche. I don’t just want to build on Porsche’s successful history, I want to add a new chapter.”

“Neel Jani is extremely talented and is currently one of the best sports car pilots altogether. I’m delighted that we can already confirm three drivers for the 2014 season of the World Endurance Championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours,” says Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG.

“Neel fits very well into our Porsche motorsport family. He is incredibly fast, he has a wealth of experience in international long distance racing as well as at the Le Mans 24 Hours and he’s a real team player,” adds Fritz Enzinger, Head of the LMP1 project.

PaddockTalk Perspective"

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Now Mark Webber:

F1: Webber Confirms Porsche Sportscar Move For 2014

Mark Webber’s long-rumored move to Porsche’s LMP1 program for 2014 and beyond was confirmed Thursday, which means that the Aussie will retire from F1 at the end of the last race of the year in Brazil.

"His departure leaves the door open for Kimi Raikkonen, who had hoped to get Webber’s seat as long ago as 2011. However, in recent weeks, Jean-Eric Vergne has staked his claim for the drive."

I hope he does good for us, I still remember his forays with Merc in LeMans, I really hope it works out.

Reactions: ralarcon

·
Registered
117 Posts
It sounds like Porsche will have a top notch driving corp. right from the start. I can't wait to see the battles with Audi. The sport very badly needs the racing to be close. Hopefully the Porsche will be very fast right out of the box.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Could this be true? I truly hope so, since this would be great for us Porsche fans:

Could Roger Penske be close to running a Porsche LMP1? | MotorSportsTalk

Roger Penske/Porsche, wow.........

This is from NBC Sportstalk:

"Potentially, the most successful owner in IndyCar may be branching out his empire once again.

Roger Penske has said before – most recently on a 2012 appearance on SPEED’s “Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain” (linked here, go to the 3:50 mark) – that the only major “first” thing left on his to-do list is to go to Le Mans and win the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Sports car racing insider Mike Fuller, whose Mulsanne’s Corner blog site is one of the most detailed when it comes to technical regulations and explanations of the sports car world, posted a tweet Wednesday that would seem to add fuel to the fire.

This follows a post on DailySportsCar from Graham Goodwin and Gary Horrocks a couple weeks ago that provided an update on a rumored P1 breakaway series, which may or may not materialize for 2014.

The reason that rumor ignited is because the P1 class has been eliminated from the merged United SportsCar Racing championship for 2014, and the P1 teams from the American Le Mans Series have to make alternative plans to either move down a class (the P2/Daytona Prototype/DeltaWing combined “P” class in USCR) or switch to the FIA World Endurance Championship, which still features P1 as the top class.

Now, if you’re not confused at this point, good on you. Here’s essentially what all the above copy means for the Penske file.

Penske last competed in sports car racing in 2009 with a Riley Porsche DP in GRAND-AM’s Rolex Series, after completing a three-year stint with the Porsche RS Spyder LMP2 chassis in the American Le Mans Series.

The sports car crew used in 2009 in GRAND-AM eventually moved over to Penske’s IndyCar program, which ran Will Power in a third car part-time in 2009 before the Australian was promoted to a third full-time car in 2010. This year, keep in mind, Penske has scaled back from a three-car to a two-car full-time IndyCar program, with a third for AJ Allmendinger at selected races.

Penske and Porsche have always been inextricably linked from a sports car standpoint. The only place Porsche’s new LMP1 contender is eligible to race, at the moment, is in the WEC, with Le Mans as the centerpiece of the schedule.

We’re not saying this is going to happen, but having two sports car insiders link the two together means this is something that is definitely simmering. The question now is if or when it will come to a full boil."

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard of any recent updates regarding LMP car? I've searched just about every reputable web site including Porsche AG, nothing.

This is what I mean when Porsche wants to be secretive, they can be. This is why if Super Cayman was completed and tested, but in production go-ahead limbo, they can very effectively keep it under wraps. I bet you the LMP car has done laps, secret laps........Porsche lets us see what THEY want us to see......

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
See this can be the rumored Turbo four platform.....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
This is from Porsche site:

"First test drives with the Porsche LMP1 racing car

The new Porsche LMP1 racing car is currently being put through its paces in test drives on international circuits. Following its successful launch in June on the Porsche test track in Weissach, the prototype sports car – which has been completely redesigned – is working its way through a round of functional tests. In the most recent test drives, Neel Jani took to the wheel for the very first time. The former Formula 1 test driver from Switzerland has been part of the pool of regular LMP1 drivers since July 1, 2013, and supports Timo Bernhard (Bruchmühlbach-Miesau, Germany) and Romain Dumas (France) with the testing. The fourth driver is Australian Formula 1 driver Mark Webber, who will be bolstering the Porsche LMP1 team from 2014.

Next year, the Porsche LMP1 racing car is set to take to the starting line in the World Endurance Championship (WEC), as well as the 24 Hours of Le Mans. "The current test drives are enabling us to collect huge amounts of vital data; every single kilometre driven is important. However, in order to develop the highly complex LMP1 racing car so that it is fit to compete by the start of next year's season, many more kilometres of testing are required," highlights Fritz Enzinger, vice president LMP1. "We are pleased with the progress being made with each test." "

From this angle the car looks hideous!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yes, that cammo paint scheme does the car no favors! Few LM cars are as pretty as the Audis, even though I always like the Pescarolo cars.
BTW, Mulsanne's Corner is reporting that the Porsche car is running the fender openings on the inside of the wheels, rather than the tops. I would guess all cars will go that way, although it's optional for 2014. I never liked those big holes on the tops of the fenders (even thought Audi seemed to make them look good...)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Yes, that cammo paint scheme does the car no favors! Few LM cars are as pretty as the Audis, even though I always like the Pescarolo cars.
BTW, Mulsanne's Corner is reporting that the Porsche car is running the fender openings on the inside of the wheels, rather than the tops. I would guess all cars will go that way, although it's optional for 2014. I never liked those big holes on the tops of the fenders (even thought Audi seemed to make them look good...)
Couldn't agree more, Audi design is spectacular, even making un attractive LMP cars less so.

I'm still hoping for a decent looking and performing car from Stuttgart!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
21 - 40 of 66 Posts