Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, I wish WEC had more TV coverage, maybe on Velocity channel or something, so I could DVR it and watch on my real TV (vs live streams).

Wish WEC had "6 hours of Monterey" (CA).

Might be worth a trip to Austin next fall. Will have to think on that.

Reactions: gtscayman

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Yes! Missed it last year which was a shame since the Cayman won it in their class! But this year I won't, we have a small group going.
Will have to meet up.

Buying Manthey is a very significant move. Getting serious and more involved than just about any time in their history, aren't they?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Will have to meet up.

Buying Manthey is a very significant move. Getting serious and more involved than just about any time in their history, aren't they?
Will pm you....when plans are concrete.

Manthey's purchase is very serious, they (Porsche) needed a proxy team like Audi with Joest, this actually frees up the factory from the mundane operation of running and managing a race team, Manthey has lots of experience and the wins to prove it. Yes you're right, I can't remember Porsche being so focused on racing since the old glory days of the 935s...... I might be wrong, but even the 956/962 era wasn't as focused. It makes me happy they're taking the sport seriously again, now if they would only lavish some of that attention on the Cayman! It still boggles my mind GM has no problem supporting the Camaro and the Corvette, while Porsche refuses to develop two platforms, so anachronistic and narrow minded.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Will pm you....when plans are concrete.

Manthey's purchase is very serious, they (Porsche) needed a proxy team like Audi with Joest, this actually frees up the factory from the mundane operation of running and managing a race team, Manthey has lots of experience and the wins to prove it. Yes you're right, I can't remember Porsche being so focused on racing since the old glory days of the 935s...... I might be wrong, but even the 956/962 era wasn't as focused. It makes me happy they're taking the sport seriously again, now if they would only lavish some of that attention on the Cayman! It still boggles my mind GM has no problem supporting the Camaro and the Corvette, while Porsche refuses to develop two platforms, so anachronistic and narrow minded.
Reminds me that several years ago Manthey took a Cayman racing and then suddenly withdrew it. Word was that mother Porsche took a dim view on this and threatened to withhold 911 goodies from Manthey.

On the good side, the 911 has to bear all the advertising and racing program costs - or at least I like to think so.;)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I bet Porsche called Olaf and gave him some "suggestions."

61 - 66 of 66 Posts