Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla has dual motors. Why not create a dual transmission system where an old school manual transmission with 3 pedals is combined with a PDK paddle shifter system? With the push of a button, you select the tranny mode. Best of both worlds: Manumatic. Feasible?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds expensive, complex, and would add significant weight. And in 22,000 miles of driving with my 6MT 981, I can think of only one or two brief instances where a clutch-less box would have been appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure why I would need a MT when I can shift just fine with the PDK. It rev matches and everything. To me it's the best of both worlds. My wife uses it in auto and I get to use manual mode. And it makes it easier on my bad knees.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the system could use the gear knob in place of paddles, and the toggle switch would engage the clutch pedal. This would have to be a drive-by-wire system where the traditional shift pattern activates the pdk gear changes in place of steering wheel paddles or an up-down joystick like is currently used. The big challenge is switching from an electronic dual clutch to a hydraulic pedal modulated clutch, I imagine?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Maybe the system could use the gear knob in place of paddles, and the toggle switch would engage the clutch pedal. This would have to be a drive-by-wire system where the traditional shift pattern activates the pdk gear changes in place of steering wheel paddles or an up-down joystick like is currently used. The big challenge is switching from an electronic dual clutch to a hydraulic pedal modulated clutch, I imagine?
The real question is who would be willing to pay a premium for such a package. Let's not forget that PDK does not use a torque converter as a traditional automatic does. PDK is essentially an automated manual transmission.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Honestly, I think it would be pretty simple. Add an electronic clutch pedal that engages the clutche(s) when depressed. Like an override. Then the shifter would be in a traditional shift pattern, with a Park added somewhere, or an electronic button that activates Park. Keep the paddles on the steering wheel for even quicker clutchless shifts if desired. I think the biggest challenge is to provide that feedback a hydraulic clutch offers. But they did away with hydraulic steering, so I imagine Porsche could manage it.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Rumor has it that the 981.2 generation will have a dog clutch. The clutch will be controlled by the computer, and the dog will bite the driver if he or she tries to interfere.
That's rough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts