Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys and ladies, be gentle on the Porsche Noob.

I just purchased a 2011 Cayman with PDK transmission and Sports Package. I do not believe it has the PASM.

It has 44k miles. I purchased from Carmax which will not provide me any history beyond Carfax. It is being shipped from the Carolinas to me as me at this moment.

Typically noobs first ask about mods and hp gains. I currently own, and will continue to own, an e39 BMW 530I with 145K miles.

I am more than an E39 owner, I am a BMW enthusiasts.

With this in mind, my first order of business is to address maintenance issues by listening to the experts in this forum as I have listened to the experts in the Bimerfest e39 forum.

I would place my mechanical skill level around 6 on a scale of 1-10 . Although I can tackle jobs such as oil changes. I tend to let the stealer do them because the savings are fairly insignificant versus my time and effort. I performed one oil change on my e39 just to say I did it.

On my BMW I DIY: spark plugs, differential fluid replace, brake fluid flush/fill, air filter, cabin filters, and basically anything where you don't have to tear the engine down or remove a bunch of stuff to get to.

I tend to buy costly magnetic drain plugs i.e. $28 per plug (not the cheapos), which may likely not be necessary but it make me feel like I went that little bit extra to maintain the health of the vehicle.

I am here to learn from you guys and ladies and to share my noob experiences as they come.

So please educate me on what are some of the maintenance items I should have addressed within the first week, month, quarter, six months, or year of delivery on my 2011 Cayman with PDK and Sports package?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Great looking car you have. On my '08 I looked at the brake fluid and the air filter. Filter was clean and the fluid was clear as water. That told me recent service had been done. I also l took off a wheel and looked at the brakes. They had life left but put out way too much black stuff on the wheels. They got replaced fairly soon. Its been 17k miles and all good at 78k on the car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe there is a 40k service interval. Check the owner's manual when it arrives and see if there are indications that the PO took care of that.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Suggest- review the maint manual. If not on hand try a search, should be a pdf around here somewhere. Do you have a Carfax report? it will show first registration date and sometimes dealer maintenance. You'll want to follow the time schedule. 6 years is Intermediate Maint. Oil changes annually. Plugs should have been replaced at 4 years. Brake flush every 2 years. Also at 6 years replace drive belt and change PDK clutch oil. At this age and mileage also a careful visual inspection under the car. Check for any signs of leaks- oil, coolant, etc. Check CV boots for tears or clamps leaking. Check suspension, shock mounts, etc. And of course all the usual used car stuff- tire condition, date codes, any unusual wear then check alignment. Brake pad thickness- easy to see outside pad through the wheel. Rotors- any lip, if 1mm lip the rotors are done. Check battery date. Check wiper blades.

Congrats on the car too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've found that, other than the unusual engine layout and location, the 987s are pretty straightforward to work on. Even replacing PASM shocks is simple.

One thing you might want to check, though it's not necessary, is to get the engine rev history downloaded. It's worth learning how many times the engine has been significantly over-revved.

As you're in Washington, and we tend to drive our cars in the winter here, also check the door seals. Have a close look at the door hinges; give them a wee shot of WD-40 to make sure they stay greased. The radiator location is also terrible for attracting leaves, dirt, squirrels, etc, so check them to make sure your radiators don't have rotting vegetation rusting them up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone, I am glad I read this forum as I too was looking at some Porsche Caymans on Carmax but was unsure if it was a safe way to purchase a car because everywhere I have read, it is best to always get a PPI done prior to purchase. Is this something that can be done if the car is being sold on Carmax? How about a dealership say 300 miles away? Only ask because if I find a car I like on autotrader or cargurus in another state how would I know what shops to request a PPI be done at? This is what has puzzled me for awhile and would love to hear what others have to say about this.

Thanks in Advance!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi everyone, I am glad I read this forum as I too was looking at some Porsche Caymans on Carmax but was unsure if it was a safe way to purchase a car because everywhere I have read, it is best to always get a PPI done prior to purchase. Is this something that can be done if the car is being sold on Carmax? How about a dealership say 300 miles away? Only ask because if I find a car I like on autotrader or cargurus in another state how would I know what shops to request a PPI be done at? This is what has puzzled me for awhile and would love to hear what others have to say about this.

Thanks in Advance!!
A reputable dealer would be willing to put the car on hold and arrange for a PPI to be done... but you'd have to be willing to pay for the inspection. Of course, the challenge is making sure the person doing the inspection knows Porsches. Our cars are pretty basic mechanically in many ways... and very different in others. Porsche dealerships are the first place to ask, and independent garages that specialize in work on Porsches are next. Locally for me, there is Redmond European and Chris' German Auto Service. These are the types of garages you should be looking for. Whomever you choose, you should choose the garage and not the dealer!

You could have them send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs (google blackstone oil sample) and they will let you know if the oil is ok or has some weird particles in it. Weird particles are an indication a number of things could be going wrong with the engine.

For what it is worth, earlier this year I bought a high mileage Boxster S and DID NOT get a PPI done on it; the IMS bearing promptly lunched itself three weeks after I bought it. Paradoxically, I was very lucky; other than the blown bearing, oil pump, intermediate shaft and one valve, nothing else was damaged. For way less than the price of a new engine from Porsche (they're actually remans these days), I had the car mechanically rebuilt and refurbished from the clutch back, which was a gamble but the car is now significantly better than before. But I'll never get the money I spent back for it.

So don't be that guy who doesn't get a PPI on a Porsche they like.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I’ve read that Camax offers their own flat rate extended warranty. Depending on any limitations I don’t know about, that may be something you want to look into. Apparently it’s the same cost on a Kia as it is on a Porsche, and I’ve read stories where Carmax really does stand behind their warranty.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Congrats on the purchase.

Firstly, I would suggest you protect your car with Carmax warranty asap. Their warranties have good reputation and allow you to have car repaired at dealer or at private shops (they mau not pay $160 an hour labor cost dealers try to charge..so be aware of this so you arent surprised)

2ndly, Assume that previous owner did not do the 40K service as he/she knew they were trading the car in and no one dumps hundreds of dollars into a car before selling it. Assume oil needs to be changed as well. I flush all fluids (unless I have documentation to prove it was done) and start fresh

You will eventually get the HP / MOD bug. The best bang for your buck will be IPD Plenum, GT3 TB combined with an exhaust + headers. You can be sure to gain 30-40 RWHP from the above mod. The Mod is not cheap, but hands down the best value.

These cars in particular and the brand in general gets such a bad wrap. Yes , OEM parts are expensive, but no one needs to buy OEM parts.. and yes mods are more expensive than they would be for an E36 or Honda civic.. but not by much. More importantly, there is so much documentation and Videos available that a complete Noob like me can do almost any repair, using mostly regular tools/

Enjoy your car, learn how to drive it well (yes they DO drive differently, and if you like to go fast in corners, you will soon find how different you have to drive these cars compared to front eng cars). Invest in driving school or track days..

Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Realizing the the original poster has long since bought his car and is hopefully enjoying it, I think I can add some CarMax intelligence here for anybody considering using them. I recently bought an '06 Cayman S. I bought from another dealer. However, I had reserved a Cayman ( from a CarMax with 25,00 miles in south Florida (I'm in NC). At the last minute I pulled the plug based solely on the cost of the car...nothing against CarMax. However, I was impressed in dealing with them. Here are some basics I learned:

1) They will accommodate PPI's. I had one tentatively arranged in FL.

2) If you ship a car to your local CarMax, it might be free or there may be a reasonable shipping charge. South FL to Greenville SC was $400. You can inspect and test drive the car at your local site. If you decide not to purchase, you will pay the shipping only.

3) If you purchase the car, you have 5 days to return it with no obligation. My ultimate plan was to have it shipped, buy it, and have a local shop do a "PPI" and then if it looked good have them complete the needed service. If not, then return it.

4) You have a 30 day warranty.

5) The extended warranty is relatively inexpensive and has a reputation as referenced above of being worthwhile. As I recall it was about $2,400 for 5 years out to 75,000 miles.

All in all, it appears that the CarMax process can work out for a lot of people.

On the topic of service records, the suggestion to look at CarFax and AutoCheck records is standard. I had both with the car I purchased and about half of the maintenance records. I was missing the period for the original owner. Locating where the car was sold was easy, and the service manager sent me the maintenance records they had. A little detective work helps.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Hi, this is my post from the warranty post. Going thru the same process with these concerns:

I'm buying a 2013 Boxster S(981) via CarMax. Their extended warranty is via Continental Service Plan, Inc.. I saw some very unfavorable reviewsicon and comments about them, fundamentally denying claims.

There contract certainly gives them some interesting outs, such as Clutches aren't covered, and if an uncovered part fails causing damage to a covered part then they deny the claim, PDKicon?

Exhausts and Cats aren't covered, as well as all maintenance items. I see another weasel opportunity, if a hose(uncovered) leaks causing a failure of an engine, then no coverage.

Also you must provide all maintenance records and it must be by the manufactures recommendations. In this case , the car has 47k miles, with no written proof of service, other than CarFax.

So for $3k, for 75k miles/or 60 months, is it worthwhile. I guess it would protect from a electronic failure, i.e. GPS, Chrono, top mechanism...I don't see how they could avoid coverage?

Thanks

Tim in Capitola

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.