Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Yes, would be radical departure for Porsche

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
CAR understands that the 981.2 relaunch will also include the option, in some markets, to position the Cayman as the entry-level, cheaper model for the first time.
This caught my eye more than speculation on HP numbers. Mixed feelings about this...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
This caught my eye more than speculation on HP numbers. Mixed feelings about this...

Frankly, the existing positioning doesn't make any sense at all and just stems from them trying to pretend they were different cars when they brought out the Cayman. If you acknowledge the fact that they're the same car and one is the convertible, then there's really no "position" above or below one another. The power numbers listed are the same, as they should be, and the Boxster would cost a bit more because it's a convertible. Like every single other convertible in the freakin' world compared to it's non-convertible counterpart.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
interesting bhp numbers...each model but the GTS is losing power...

My guess is the higher torque will mean they are faster overall though. GTS with the 2.5 turbo will probably get the similar MPG as the 2.7 today, but the base 2.0 will be near the 40 range.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Interesting if true.
Huge gap between the S and GTS.
370 HP would put the GTS just below the Gt4/Spyder (385/375) as well in total hp. I'm assuming the curves will be different of course but it would still be odd if the Gt4/spyder engines remain unchanged.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Frankly, the existing positioning doesn't make any sense at all and just stems from them trying to pretend they were different cars when they brought out the Cayman. If you acknowledge the fact that they're the same car and one is the convertible, then there's really no "position" above or below one another. The power numbers listed are the same, as they should be, and the Boxster would cost a bit more because it's a convertible. Like every single other convertible in the freakin' world compared to it's non-convertible counterpart.
A part of me agrees with you, a part of me doesn't. And this is no hate against the boxster, used to have one myself.

If they are the same cars, in the mind of Porsche, why not call them the same? Cayman and Cayman convertible :p. Then again, since so many components are shared with the 911 why not just call them all 911 ? And so on.. ;)

And why a car without such a vital structural part as a roof would cost MORE is beyond my comprehension...regardless of brand. Not to mention the repositioning to make the Cayman the cheaper one in some places only to increase sale volumes. This was the statement I had a hard time to deal with. Equal I could come to terms with.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
A part of me agrees with you, a part of me doesn't. And this is no hate against the boxster, used to have one myself.

If they are the same cars, in the mind of Porsche, why not call them the same? Cayman and Cayman convertible :p. Then again, since so many components are shared with the 911 why not just call them all 911 ? And so on.. ;)

And why a car without such a vital structural part as a roof would cost MORE is beyond my comprehension...regardless of brand. Not to mention the repositioning to make the Cayman the cheaper one in some places only to increase sale volumes. This was the statement I had a hard time to deal with. Equal I could come to terms with.
Me thinks, it's all a debacle, starting with the 4 cyl. engines that they have to use in order to compensate for the lower mpg. trucks and sedans. Otherwise they don't meet fleet mpg. regulations, for Europe. :wall:

Cheers

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
If they are the same cars, in the mind of Porsche, why not call them the same? Cayman and Cayman convertible :p.
Wait... are you suggesting they're NOT coupe and convertible versions of the same car??

The problem starts with naming the first car Boxster. It's a derivative of Boxer (engine) and Roadster. So they couldn't very well make a Boxster coupe. Then someone came up with the bright idea of pretending the Cayman was an entirely different model, giving it enough different styling to hide the obvious, tuning in a few more hp, and charging more. And it seems to have worked all this time.

It's not that the Boxster comes without a roof. It's that it comes with a far more complicated one involving motors and stuff. And for most other convertibles, there's a bunch of extra bracing and stuff to be concerned with, though this isn't such a big deal when the car was designed to be a convertible from the beginning. So they're always more expensive.

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Wait... are you suggesting they're NOT coupe and convertible versions of the same car??

The problem starts with naming the first car Boxster. It's a derivative of Boxer (engine) and Roadster. So they couldn't very well make a Boxster coupe. Then someone came up with the bright idea of pretending the Cayman was an entirely different model, giving it enough different styling to hide the obvious, tuning in a few more hp, and charging more. And it seems to have worked all this time.

It's not that the Boxster comes without a roof. It's that it comes with a far more complicated one involving motors and stuff. And for most other convertibles, there's a bunch of extra bracing and stuff to be concerned with, though this isn't such a big deal when the car was designed to be a convertible from the beginning. So they're always more expensive.
Boxster coupe = Boupe, the new name for the Cayman

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Reactions: Milehigh981

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Makes sense. Cayman sales poor, make it cheaper

Make the difference between base/S more distinct to GTS, mores sales for GTS creating two tiers, just like the 911. Makes perfect sense.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
interesting bhp numbers...each model but the GTS is losing power...

My guess is the higher torque will mean they are faster overall though. GTS with the 2.5 turbo will probably get the similar MPG as the 2.7 today, but the base 2.0 will be near the 40 range.
A 130 HP gap between base and GTS, if true, just created a lower level tier within the model lineup, just like the difference between the base/S/GTS vs turbo/turbo S cars in the 911. That is a MASSIVE gap.

Not sure WHY they are doing this other than to set the lineup the same as the 911 cars and to coerce buyers into buying the more expensive GTS model.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
A decision I will not have to make for a few years. Just got confirmation that my 2016 Cayman finished production and is heading to Emden. This is one of the reasons I chose to order a 2016 to replace my 2014.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
It will really be interesting to see how 2016 sales go. There are four possibilities:

1. 981 sales remain about the same as 2015 - indicating that few people really care about 6 cylinder vs 4.
2. 981 sales increase significantly for 2016 - indicating that many people want to get one of the last 6 cylinder cars before the world as we know it ends.
3. 981 sales decrease significantly for 2016 - indicating that people want to wait for the new version just because it's new and cylinder count is irrelevant.
4. 981 sales remain about the same as 2015 - indicating that there is an equal combination of 2 & 3 above.

Time will tell. (I hope it's not 4, because then we'll just argue as to whether is was really 4 or 1.)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
why not call them the same? Cayman and Cayman convertible :p.
Say what!?

That would be Boxster and Boxster Coupe. :taunt:

Ok, seriously, I've always hated the name Boxster. It should be the 981 Coupe and Convertible period.

Reactions: hallonz

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Umm, no I did not - how did you conclude that from my post? I wrote "in the mind of Porsche"....the people at porsche do not think they are the same car. And I was trying to understand the mind of Porsche marketing since they are now supposedly doing a 180 with the pricing but still keeping the names. Clear enough? :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts