Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Porsche Roads App - Apple CarPlay - GPX Files

281 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TripleThreat719
I am an avid motorcyclist in addition to loving my '16 Boxster GTS. I have a sport touring bike, an adventure bike, and a 2 stroke street legal woods bike. I frequently attend planned group rides where organizers share GPX files of the "Tracks" or "Routes" that will be followed for those events. When I attended the Rennsport Dragon Rally in the GTS last June, I took all of the Google Map files we were provided and exported them as GPX files. I then loaded them onto my Garmin Zumo XT motorcycle GPS and used it in the car to be able to follow the planned routes if ever separated from the group (which happened).

After recently installing an Isudar CarPlay Module into my PCM 3.1, I started poking around the internet for CarPlay compatible Apps that would allow me to upload a GPX file of a pre-planned route that I created in a mapping program. I found four possibilities. Gia GPS, REVER, Porsche Roads, and Scenic. From what I have found so far, GIA, Rever, and Scenic all seem to require some type of subscription to access certain features. However, the Porsche Roads App allows you to see routes that have been created in your local area and listed publicly in the app, or it allows you to create your own route from the app, or it allows you to import a GPX file that you have created on some other mapping program (I tend to use Basecamp when creating tracks and routes for motorcycling trips and am familiar with how it works). Best part is it is free.

I plan to play around with it and see how well it works, but it will be really cool if it will function the way my Garmin Zumo XT will and allow me to upload GPX files that I can follow with turn-by-turn spoken directions right from the CarPlay Module without having to stick a GPS mount on the windshield.

Has anyone else experimented with the Porsche Roads App (edited for clarity)? If so, have you found it to be useful and reliable?
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Can’t tell what app you are asking about? I was going to suggest Roads as we’ve been using RideWithGPS to build routes but it won’t display on CarPlay (does give audio prompts over BT). It’s possible to export gpx files from RWGPS to Roads and display on The PCM via CarPlay.

Shawn in VA (USA)
Sorry for the confusion Shawn. I was asking specifically about the Porsche Roads App. Wondering if anyone has experience with it. It would be a bonus if someone has experience with importing gpx files into it and then using it via CarPlay to follow the planned route.
I have the app on my Iphone, but I have no idea what a gpx file is.

It hasn't been of much use to me when I've driven solo, but I've used a couple of route maps to create a turn-by-turn list for my navigator wife to read to me while I drive, patterned after the ride guides in the Ride Texas spiral booklets published by my friends Miguel (Ducati 900SS) and Val (Ducati 748) Asensio back in the day.

MMVV.
Sorry for the confusion Shawn. I was asking specifically about the Porsche Roads App. Wondering if anyone has experience with it. It would be a bonus if someone has experience with importing gpx files into it and then using it via CarPlay to follow the planned route.
Yes. As stated our PCA chapter has been doing that —exporting from RWGPS to Roads and then viewing/hearing on PCM via CarPlay. For some reason I can’t get it to work so can’t report first hand. I can export the file but it shows “waiting” to upload on my iPhone 13 Pro and I can’t figure out what setting is not right.

Shawn in VA (USA)
Perfect! That’s exactly what I was hoping for… Thanks!
GPX files can be loaded into Google Maps as well. GPX is basically a standard map format...

Can you share the GPX files here?
I have been able to upload gpx files to google maps via the mymaps website, but it appears that the only thing that does is provide a track overlay (kind of like a layer) that sits on top of the google map, but it doesn't provide turn-by-turn directions. Maybe it will do that, but I haven't been able to figure that out if it does.

The Porsche Roads app takes the gpx file and not only displays it on the map, but it provides me with spoken turn-by-turn directions.
Reactions: 2
Finally got Roads to work to import on my iPhone! I reinstalled the app and all is schön. Can’t wait to use it for fun runs! I plan to build the routes in RWGPS and import/navigate with Roads via CarPlay.

Shawn in VA (USA)
Nice - Glad you got it to work. I have several GPX files saved from some motorcycle riding that I hope to experiment with and see how I like it.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts