Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the Porsche Roof Rack Transport system with Porsche Bike Attachment. Would appreciate feedback from people who own one. Is it easy to assemble, install, and remove? How reliable or secure is the bike when in the bike carrier? Do you recommend it? Any drawbacks or negatives?

Thanks in advance,

YoungTurk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I recently purchased a used roof rack that I refurbished and I'm in the market for the bike attachment.
The roof rack is made for the car, so in my opinion, it's really the only one to get. Oh, and yes, it's rock solid and easy to mount / un-mount.
Here is a picture of mine ..
pluggagerack1.jpg

There are however other bike attachment options, once you have a roof rack for attachment. I was just at the store looking some over in the flesh but I'm still leaning towards the Porsche bike attachment.
Here is a picture of that one ..

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Yakima makes a rack too. It is not quiet as stylish but it is easier to install and remove because the bases separate from the rack. It is solid.

07435369547619-vi.jpg 07435369547706-vi.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is of interest to me because I have always taken my truck to Road Atlanta for Petit Lemans because I provide the canopy for the inside of
Turn 12 during the race. I am a corner worker. As I would rather take my Cayman S, is the factory roof rack or one of the aftermarker ones capable of about 50 pounds or so. This canopy and the support are both heavy and heavy duty.:)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
This is of interest to me because I have always taken my truck to Road Atlanta for Petit Lemans because I provide the canopy for the inside of
Turn 12 during the race. I am a corner worker. As I would rather take my Cayman S, is the factory roof rack or one of the aftermarker ones capable of about 50 pounds or so. This canopy and the support are both heavy and heavy duty.:)
Sure. Here is a pic of mine on the way to VIR in November. Easy UP, 2 Chairs and a bag full of gear up top. It weighed 100 lbs + but was hardly noticeable. A bit of wind roar and about 2 mpg loss at 70 mph. IMG_1006-vi.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
A negative: The previous owner of my '08 black Cayman obviously had one as there are four distinctive "rub" marks on the top in the paint where one was mounted that won't easily come out. Guess a detailer will have to deal with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am still so suprised Porsche stopped making a roof rack for the Boxster 981. I would have guessed from a marketing perspective the types who buy these cars are sporty, active types.. not being able to take my bike with me when i go upstate or for a nice drive in PA is a huge dissapointment. I have seena few after market options / hand made but i dont want to drill any holes in bumpers.

I simply would have liked the option to bring 1 bike on my 85 KUSD car without having to risk scratching or voiding any warranty etc!! Ugh.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
A negative: The previous owner of my '08 black Cayman obviously had one as there are four distinctive "rub" marks on the top in the paint where one was mounted that won't easily come out. Guess a detailer will have to deal with it.
This certainly could happen. I cut four felt discs and placed them under my Yakima rack. No harm was done on a 1500 mile road trip.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for this, which pretty much rules it out for me.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The factory rack works great and easy to take off. Mine doesn't rub as it is suspended between the bracket and roof. Maybe it was installed wrong or over tightened from previous comment? There are also replaceable foam pads to prevent any type of rubbing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I am still so suprised Porsche stopped making a roof rack for the Boxster 981. I would have guessed from a marketing perspective the types who buy these cars are sporty, active types.. not being able to take my bike with me when i go upstate or for a nice drive in PA is a huge dissapointment. I have seena few after market options / hand made but i dont want to drill any holes in bumpers.

I simply would have liked the option to bring 1 bike on my 85 KUSD car without having to risk scratching or voiding any warranty etc!! Ugh.
I don't think there was ever a roof rack for any of the Boxster series or any convertable for that matter. It was included on all the 987 Caymans however and apparently is now missing from the 981 Caymans.:cheers:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think there was ever a roof rack for any of the Boxster series or any convertable for that matter. It was included on all the 987 Caymans however and apparently is now missing from the 981 Caymans.:cheers:
I have a factory roof transport system for my 2001 Boxster and one for my 2008 Cayman. I also mounted a Wilwood bike rack to the Boxster. The factory racks are the best solution for carrying a bike, in my opinion. The Wilwood rack is removable but the mounting system is bolted to the rear of the car so it can be seen even after the bike rack attachment is removed. The factory RTS sits above the paint on pedestals and will not mark the finish if properly installed. If you can find a used one, just make sure it is complete with all tools and mounting hardware.

·
Registered
144 Posts
.. as per 'cheech', The factory rack and attachments do not make contact with the roof itself.

The mounts / rack do indeed have an engineered gap and all contact is limited to inside the little 'door flip compartment'.
I was a bit confused during my initial fitting of the system but eventually was able to appreciate what they did there.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Interesting. THAT explains why the access door is as large as it is. This is a good reason to spend more for the factory rack over the Yakima that I have. I have a factory rack for my Audi TT and it sits on the roof on rubber pads much like the Yakima. I assumed the Porsche rack did the same.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How easy is the factory rack to assemble and install?

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. flip open the trap door and remove the plastic plug screw. (each corner)
2. insert system mount to the space inside open trap door and tighten screw. (each corner)
3. apply roof rack over the mounts and tighten attachment screws. (front and back)
4. take a few steps back and scratch your chin while saying, "oh .. I see what they did there"

oops .. I forgot to mention the last step is to snap in the 'keylock endcaps', one each corner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts