Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at this month's issue of Panorama magazine and noticed that for every single Porsche model except for the Cayenne that sales in 2019 were lower than 2018. Porsche is up overall thanks to the Cayenne but does this concern anyone that all of the models except the Cayenne are down? Any particular reason why all of the other models are down? I thought 911's would be up with the new 911, and I didn't realize demand for the Macan had tapered off. Sales for the entire 718 line aren't stellar but given Porsche's historical treatment of the Cayman and Boxster that really isn't surprising to me. Are Porsche buyers leaving traditional Porsches behind and buying the Taycan instead of a 911 or Panamera or Macan, etc? Just curious what others here think may be going on....

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think the Taycan has had a large impact on the Panamera sales. People may have opted to wait and see on it, deferring alternate Porsche purchases.

We’ve seen this pattern in the past after announcements of replacement versions. Box/Cay sales especially seem to drop off after an initial new model year.

My $0.02 YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The C8 will have dropped a well-deserved nuke on the 718 market. No, they aren't directly competitive, but "fear of missing out" is going to keep people from ordering 718s when the same money can buy far greater performance from a truly interesting new car. Someone looking to purchase a new 718 at full retail must first convince themselves that they won't kick themselves later. Tough sell.

Meanwhile, the 992 is overpriced and offers nearly zero value over the outgoing models. For every improvement they've made in a given area, they've taken a step back somewhere else.

Not super bullish about Porsche these days, in general. Taycan = too little, too late, and (again) too much money for the value delivered.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I think a range of factors have impacted sales. The only 992s that have been available throughout 2019 are S versions; the base models won't be delivered until the New Year. Makes sense that overall 911 sales are down if only part of the model line is available. Lots are well-stocked with "new" 2019 991.2s, but discounts here in Canada aren't substantial enough to convince many people to go for the old version rather than the new one. On the 718 front, expect a couple of thousand sales of each of the GT4 and the Sypder in 2020, which would have at least partially been 2019 sales if they had started shipping soon after launch.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 911 sales surge in 2020 as the base cars hit the market. I thought I was done with 911s until I did a couple of long test drives in a 992 C4S. I think the exterior is a marked improvement over the 991, and any concerns over marginal size and weight increases disappear when behind the wheel. Inside, it's now a thoroughly modern cockpit that maintains traditional design cues and positions the car well to carry the standard until inevetiably even the 911 goes hybrid or electric in the not-too-distant future. Porsche says a base C4 with Sport Chrono is a 4.0 second 0-60 car, which means in the real world it will do high 3s all day long. That a base 992 with SC is as quick as the much-ballyhooed C8 (launch versions at least) is a rather pertinent detail has somehow been overlooked. Take it easy with the options, and you're going supercar fast in a 992 for a whole lot less than an S or a 4s. Once base cars get into the market and into the hands of more testers, 992 sales will take a definite uptick.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The C8 will have dropped a well-deserved nuke on the 718 market. No, they aren't directly competitive, but "fear of missing out" is going to keep people from ordering 718s when the same money can buy far greater performance from a truly interesting new car. Someone looking to purchase a new 718 at full retail must first convince themselves that they won't kick themselves later. Tough sell.

Meanwhile, the 992 is overpriced and offers nearly zero value over the outgoing models. For every improvement they've made in a given area, they've taken a step back somewhere else.

Not super bullish about Porsche these days, in general. Taycan = too little, too late, and (again) too much money for the value delivered.

Perhaps, but few to no people are buying 718"s at full retail. The C8 is indeed an interesting car but not for me nor, just a guess, for many buying 718's today.

As far as the 992 being overpriced - what's new. However, you're only talking S and 4S models, base models not yet delivered. I would consider a 992 base over the GT4 or the 991.2, but that's just me. Yes they are getting bigger but the base is a lot of car for a substantial discount under the S. I don't see many steps back but see enough improvement to make me consider going back to a 911.

I do agree that the Taycan is too much money, particularly compared to Tesla. I think though that the lower models, like the 4S and eventually a base will be more competitive with Tesla and will sell pretty well.

Bottom line is, I think Porsche is healthy enough going forward and that sales will rebound.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I would consider a 992 base over the GT4 or the 991.2, but that's just me.
Not just you. My 2020 C4 locked today. New owner is picking up the Cayman S tomorrow.

Reactions: michael818

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You have the Toyota Supra/BMW Z4 taking aim at the 718 market as well.
My thought is that people who want Porsche’s will buy Porsches. There have always been other alternatives out there, some better performers, some cheaper etc. but the brand is still here. Supra fan boys will but Supras, BMW folks will continue to buy Bimmers and Corvette folks will buy Vettes. Sure some will cross shop and switch over but the base will remain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: budgetplan1

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure it's a Porsche thing. The sports car market is getting crowded. Plus, there are emerging signs here and there that crazy money is getting less crazy these days. Even Ferrari is now willing to sell their cars to non-Ferrari owners. It would be interesting to compare Porsche stats with selling stats of other sports car brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts