Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Boxster S Meteor Gray
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a new member here and recently bought a 2007 Boxster S with tiptronic. I am really enjoying the car and making different upgrades and changes.
One of the things I would like to change is the steering wheel - shifting. The tiptronic wheel leaves a lot to be desired for shifting and the 2009+ sport wheels with paddles would be a great upgrade. I have searched and read quite a few posts already on this. It appears to me that I can get a wheel quite easily but it comes down to finding a Porsche dealership that is willing to reprogram the wheel. Is this correct?

Anyone in Michigan who has done this? If so which dealer did you use? I am going to call Suncoast tomorrow and see what they say as far as how to proceed.
I did find this video on youtube that shows this can be done.

I will be calling Maxspeed as well.

Any insights or direction would be appreciated.

Shane

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am continuing to research how to do this and I came across this website. They make is seem pretty easy to make the needed program modifications with the PIWIS unit.

I will be calling Suncoast today to discuss this with them as well.

I was able to pickup a nice, NOS gray PDK sport wheel on eBay for $650.00. The air bag unit looks like it will cost another $1,350 so I will be $2k in without any service time. The steering column unit mentioned in the website above will be another $350.
I would dare guess if this can be done it will cost close to $3k which I am okay with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the latest.
I found a wheel on eBay for $650.00. Stone Gray, $650.00

Bought an airbag on eBay, dark grey but not quite a match. I will be using some shoe polish to darken it up. The airbags are leather so this should work. Cost was $550 so quite a bit less than new. There are A LOT of airbags on eBay so you should be able to find one that fits your needs.

I ended up buying the steering wheel control unit from Suncoast for $365.
I searched eBay for a couple of weeks and the correct part # never came up so I bought the new unit. I guess if you are patient you might find on cheaper on eBay at some point.

My local Porsche dealer quoted 1 hour of programming and had no hesitation in saying they could help me with this. I was pleasantly surprised by their response.

There is an article here on Planet-9 that I found on the subject and a good article on Rennlist.

I hope to receive the steering wheel control unit by next week and then i'll post an update on how it goes at the dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my 07 BS back from the dealership after 2 weeks. They installed the wheel, added sport mode and installed HR springs (PSE will have to wait until spring, wallet is a little light right now :) )I couldn't be happier with the wheel and it was worth the investment. For me the PDK wheel completely changes having a tiptronic car. The buttons on the wheel worked but the paddles are so much better. Shifting before corners is much improved. The sport wheel is a big improvement in feel with nice palm rests at 10 and 2 on the wheel. I HIGHLY recommend this modification.

My cost
Wheel - $650 - eBay
Airbag - $550 - eBay
Steering Column Unit - $380 - Suncoast
Installation - 1.5 hours @ $155/hr
Total = $1800

·
Registered
93 Posts
No flappy paddles but for $800 and 15min of work my dctms wheel does the trick

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts