Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was speaking to a auto-elec that deals in "integration" about purchasing a PCM 3.0 from the states and getting retrofitted into my 06 Cayman S (BOSE), since I live in Australia, it makes significant financial sense to purchase items from the US rather than local. Here's an example of stupid pricing, a retrofit kit PCM 2.1 for my car costs $8.9K AUD, approximately $8.3K USD.....reallllly doesn't make financial sense.

He mentioned that the states' version of the PCM and in fact other parts are different to the rest of the world. Now, I'd have to be somewhat stupid to take that comment at face value as it doesn't make good business sense. However, I could be mistaken and hence I put it to you all.

Does that make sense? Does anyone have any examples of differences between what is sold in the states and what is sold outside the USA??

All I can say is, the guy is feeding me a line to try to get me to go down the Eclipse path. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good product, same with the Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood systems, but it's not an original Porsche product.

Apprecaite some feedback guys and gals.

Cheers,

Warder the newbie being led down the garden path.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Starting from as big as my Porsche all the way down to spare parts, gadgets, electronics, clothing, software and videos are from the USA. Almost 80% of my shoppings are from the US through my forwarding address in NY. Yes even after paying US taxes, shipping to NY, international shipping from NY and the custom fees (if and only if) it would be still far cheaper than shopping here in KSA because of the greed of the local businessmen who still sell no matter what they ask for!

Even maintaining my Porsche in Jordan where we have ridiculous customs plus VAT is still cheaper than maintaining it here in KSA.

I don't have a specific answer for your PCM integration, but I'll tell you that I never faced a maintenance problem because my car was bought from the USA.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have a similar experience to Hassan's, I buy almost all parts for my car for the US, although I purchased the car itself from Qatar.

About the PCM issue, the ONLY thing I can think of is that there is a very small chance that a LHD and RHD versions are different. But I would think it is not!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Most car companies have cars for the US market and ROW (rest of world). There are differences with engine output and available accessories. There are even structural differences such as bumper mountings. So, is there a difference in the PCM???? I would call a Porsche dealer in the US and ask them.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Warder, calling a dealer is your best bet. I've seen Suncoast advertise PCM 2.1 for about half of what you mention. No idea about compatibility though.

FWIW I've read that fitting PCM 3 to the older cars is painful and costly enough to make it not worth the effort.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

Hassan - the problem here in Ozzie Land is that "luxury" cars (sports cars fall into that bracket as well) get hit with a 25% customs duty then another 10% Goods and Services tax ontop of. So for my secondhand 30K km 06 Cayman S with Sports Chrono and 19inch Turbo rims, manual set me back $90K AUD. Given that the exact same car, possible with more options like PSAM in the states sits at a comfortable $30K USD, tells you why purchasing items from the states makes a lot more sense than buying anything from here.

Greyworlf - yeah man, I'm getting that vibe from everyone I speak to. Mind you no one would answer this question "what advantage does a PCM 3.0 have over other after market units?"

Then the question would be, which aftermarket unit is the one to go for (Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse...etc)?

Oh and Hassan, I read your other thread about the turbo kit from TCP, how's that going dude? punching out insane power? How are you keeping the power on the road rather than constant wheel spins?

Send me some pics, I'm seriously keen on that upgrade /wink.

Thanks all,

Cheers,

Warder the newbie CS owner.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Dear Warder:
1) You don't want to know how much customs & VAT we pay back home in Jordan... shall I spell it? More than 200% customs + 19% VAT on top of it :eek:
2) You don't want to know the buying power here in KSA that drives the greed of dealers to sky high, yet still they have long waiting lists on most. :crazy:
3) My opinion is that PCM 2.1 and PCM 3.0 are nothing but fancy looking decor for the interior of our cars... but they are mostly useless due to the lack of upgrades and ridiculous high cost of hardware and software. When I'm in need I remove my Garmin from my Land Cruiser and use it in my Cayman that already has a PCM 2.1 :(

As for the turbo kit, ahh..! Still my Mistress is in the operation room under the knife since last week of April :( She is undergoing major nip/tuck and turbo implants at the same time. In other words, she's having a new look along with full DD cup :D

The main delay was because she needed some spare parts for the coolant leakage that are being delivered today to the service center who's handling my car. Afterwards they will proceed with the kit installation. And while some exterior parts are being repainted, I'm still waiting for the designer to finish the custom design I have in mind for the stripes.

I'm so anxious and worried, I can't even hide that as I don't sleep or eat... and the cost is shooting the sky with the dealer's man-hour outrageous prices. But the good news is that I'm having a makeover myself too as I did slim down from 34' waist to 32" :cheers:

Don't worry, it will be a breaking news on CNN once she's done :burnout:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hahaha, sweet, looking forward to it.

BTW, if you are planning on installing the TPC turbo kit (which I am), is it worth while getting the Softronic package with plenum?

Back to the main topic, assuming there is no real difference between US and ROW (thanks for the acronym). Does anyone have a how-to install the PCM 3.0 into a 06 CS?

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
BTW, if you are planning on installing the TPC turbo kit (which I am), is it worth while getting the Softronic package with plenum?
I was lucky that I didn't waste money on mods (except for flash software) before jumping on the turbo boat. But as per the advice of everyone on the forum, don't waste money on mods if you know where you're heading. Otherwise, it is a total loss.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Back to the main topic, assuming there is no real difference between US and ROW (thanks for the acronym). Does anyone have a how-to install the PCM 3.0 into a 06 CS?

Cheers,

I think many people have stated that although possible, it would be cost prohibitive!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would be hard for me to believe that it’s possible.
Based on the info my dealer received from Porsche NA, I’m the first person to have completed this upgrade in the states on an ’09 and even that was a problem. It wasn’t until last week that Porsche AG developed a software patch that corrected an activation code issue. Now I have PCM 3.0 with nav, 6-disk, bluetooth and univ audio and all works great but like I said, it would be hard for me to believe this unit could be activated in a car older that an ’09.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Maybe the knobs turn the opposite direction, kinda like how the toilets flush in the opposite direction. :)

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
All I can say is, the guy is feeding me a line to try to get me to go down the Eclipse path. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good product, same with the Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood systems, but it's not an original Porsche product.
Porsche is in the business of making cars, not car electronics. I'd go for an aftermarket one all day long. If only because it'll be much, much easier for map updates three or four years from now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts