Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Ya know, this same sort of discussion has been going on about Porsche for over 40 years now. I know a couple of 356 enthusiasts who think Porsche stopped being a "real sports car" manufacturer in 1965, when they stopped making 356s.

My point is simply that there will always be "traditionalists" who will complain that Porsche isn't doing what they would prefer. Usually, the best way to handle them is to just nod your head, mumble something noncommittal and then go on your way.... :taunt: ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
The Porsche name is not being watered down. All one has to do is to drive a Cayenne. My first Cayenne was a 2004 S and it was awesome. It had PASM and would loosen your fillings when driving on the Sport setting. It could can out corner most cars including many "Sports Cars". To top that off, it tows better than my old Yukon Denali. One day after a great day at a DE at Watkins Glen, I had two of my friends in my Cayenne S, with a full load of gear in the back. Driving along the curvy country roads, they experienced the incredible handling and brakes that stop in the same distance as a 996. They were shocked how a 5000+ lb SUV could drive almost as well as a Porsche sports car.
They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they do handle well. I recall a couple of years ago a European magazine testing a Cayenne turbo against an E46 M3 on track (don't remember which track), and the Cayenne achieving a lower lap time. Now if that ain't impressive for a truck...........!!:hilarious:

·
Vendor
2,476 Posts
Diversify or die - often times this drives necessity,

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
This is one of those recurring troll like topics that surface from time to time. Surprising that it succeeds in triggering the hoped for responses.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
We ordered a Cayenne in July for a December delivery. I drove all of the other SUV's and the Cayenne with the PDCC was incredible in handeling. You pay for what you get. I really wanted the PDCC for my wife when the need for an evasive action is required. I have seen too many people in SUV's perform a quick lane change and the body weight of the SUV creates a dangerous weight change and the driver loses control of the vehicle when they lose control. At the Porsche Driving School we took a turbo out on the trach without PDCC and the handeling was impressive. I like the power and the safety impressed me.
Mike

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
The Cayenne may be an SUV but drive a GTS before you talk about watering down. It will impress you. there are actually people taking the Cayenne GTS to autocrosses. Show me another SUV that right in the owners manual states

"We do not recommend you autocrosse or track this vehicle during the break-in"

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
... (deleted)... I feel like Porsche is trying to be like Mercedes now... (deleted)
Come on, if Porsche were really trying to be like Mercedes, we'd have 17 classes of car/SUV to choose from, with multiple configurations in each class (B, C, E, S, SL, SLK, CLK, CLS, SLR, blah blah blah, etc etc etc).

Instead, we have 3 platforms to choose from. Only a handful of models in each. I don't think Porsche is trying to build for "everyman". Adding a fourth platform (Panamera) is a big gamble to be sure, but not one that's likely to dilute my Cayman driving experience (or exclusivity, if that's what drives you).

==RedEye

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is one of those recurring troll like topics that surface from time to time. Surprising that it succeeds in triggering the hoped for responses.

Sante Fe, I appreciate the great job that mods do here. And being a veteran poster and member of the board, I know you encounter countless repeat posts and ruminations. I've been here for over a year, and though I don't have thousands of posts, I participate and even start discussions when I can. And as a moderator I don't think you should be quick to label or insinuate that people are trolling unless it's quite obvious. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I owned a Cayenne for 3 years before I bought my Cayman, so you could say the Cayenne brought me into the Porsche sports car family. It was the most reliable, luxurious, and quietest vehicle I have ever driven. While I sold the Cayenne to buy the Cayman I seriously considered having both.

I suspect this is the root behind Porsche's release of the Panamera; to introduce a whole new customer base to the quality and performance of the marque. BMW & Mercedes better watch out.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts