Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Porsche is on a tear, signing the largest roster of professional drivers in the Marques history, from road racing in GT formula to the vaunted LMP 1 formula with the newly named 919. One of the most surprising signings comes via Fred Makowiecki, a super pro behind the wheel of many cars including the FIA GT series which hails Lamborghini, McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW and even Ford (GT) as alumni.

Also Porsche AG is bringing Manthey on board on a permanent basis by acquiring shares in fabled long distance team.

"Frédéric Makowiecki signed as Porsche works driver
Frenchman Frédéric Makowiecki (33) will join the ranks of Porsche Motorsport’s GT squad this coming season and pilot a 911 RSR. Makowiecki, who prefers to be called Fred Mako, is a regular competitor behind the wheel of Porsche race cars. He has collected more than nine years of experience in the cockpit of the 911. One of his greatest achievements was clinching the title of the Porsche Carrera Cup France in 2010."

“Frédéric Makowiecki is one of the fastest and most experienced GT pilots,” says Porsche Head of Motorsport Hartmut Kristen. “He has a great deal of experience on virtually all international race tracks and he knows precisely how to drive a Porsche 911 fast. I’m very much looking forward to working with him.”

"Porsche acquires majority holding in Manthey Racing GmbH

Porsche has acquired a 51 percent stake in Manthey Racing GmbH and as such continues to expand its long and successful collaboration with the race outfit from Meuspath at the Nürburgring. “I’m sure this will help us to prepare even better for the challenges we are facing together in the WEC and I look forward to working with Olaf Manthey, Nicolas Raeder and Martin Raeder,” says Wolfgang Hatz."

Motorsport News

Interesting days indeed for road racing fans!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
FYI

2014 calendar.

6 Hours of SilverstoneGBR20/04/2014

6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps WECBEL03/05/2014

24 Heures du MansFRA14/06/2014

6 Hours of Sao PauloBRA31/08/2014

6 Hours of Circuit of the AmericasUSA20/09/2014

6 Hours of FujiJPN12/10/2014

6 Hours of ShanghaiCHN02/11/2014

6 Hours of BahrainBHR15/11/2014

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not part of the 2014 campaign, but interesting indeed, back in 2000 Porsche built a WEC car that never raced, till this day they vehemently deny the car's existence, but............

Mulsanne's Corner News, November/December 2013

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful engine shot!

"The stressed V10 bolts to a bespoke cast metallic gearbox/bellhousing/oil tank. The rear suspension hangs off, and mounts to, the gearbox. Pushrod to bellcrank operated spring damper. Pretty status-quo for the era, but don't forget we're talking 13+ years ago..."

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to everyone for not keeping up, I've had the flu for the last two weeks and it's been terrible.....now I'm back on my feet so I'll do my best to keep interested parties informed.......

NEXT WEEK ALL THE WEC CARS WILL BE SHOWN AT PARIS, WEC.COM WILL TELEVISE ON THEIR SITE, PORSCHE SHOULD BE THERE WITH THE 919! Tune in! Don't miss this!

One Week to The Launch of the 2014 FIA WEC | FIA World Endurance Championship

Paris, home to the world’s leading fashion houses. In one week’s time the motorsport equivalent of the catwalk will reveal what will be hot this season in the world of endurance as the teams who will be taking part in the 2014 FIA WEC and 24 Heures du Mans are unveilled.

The FIA World Endurance Championship: home of the beautiful cars.

Remember you can watch the event live online via the official championship website at FIA World Endurance Championship − Official Website from 15h00 (CET) on Thursday 13 February.

The Press Conference will take place on 13 February at the Eurosite Georges V, Avenue Georges V, 75008 Paris

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry to everyone for not keeping up, I've had the flu for the last two weeks and it's been terrible.....now I'm back on my feet so I'll do my best to keep interested parties informed.......
Glad you're recovered and back at it. It seemed kinda quiet around here lately.

Reactions: stratman

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Your flu was so bad that mine went away, then I went to Florida, and now it's back - must have inadvertently shook hands with you or something when I was down there. :>)

I have some of the virus in a jar and am interrogating them as I speak - little buggers.

Reactions: stratman

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys....I'm not fully 100% yet! but much better! Try and tune in to WEC I'm dying to see the 919 in it's correct livery........

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I have dual monitors and use one to watch stuff like this while I surf on the other. I watched several hours of Daytona last month too. Thx VERY MUCH for posting the links to the streaming sites.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Cool video showing the current entrees for LeMans, along with a bit of 2013 footage.

24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 entry list video - YouTube
Thanks for tiding us over. Early scuttlebutt is that Toyota really has their LMP development on point, while Audi and Porsche are struggling. Of course, this cold be a matter of Audi and Porsche trying to manage expectations. Can't wait!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Not WEC, but I found the Sebring TV/stream schedule:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 28, 2014) – FOX Sports 1 will carry live coverage of the first three hours of the 62nd running of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida on Saturday, March 15, the second round of both the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup.
The remainder of the event will be streamed live on IMSA.com and through the FOX Sports Go mobile app. FOX Sports 1 also will televise a three-hour full race highlight show from Sebring beginning at 8:30 a.m. ET on Sunday, March 16. The balance of the 2014 TUDOR Championship television schedule will be announced next week.
The Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge event at Sebring International Raceway on Friday, March 14, will be streamed live in its entirety on IMSA.com beginning at 1 p.m. ET. The two-hour broadcast will air March 19 on FOX Sports 1 at 1 p.m. ET and will re-air March 23 on FOX Sports 2 beginning at 7:30 p.m. ET.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dealing with issues, haven't been here....but

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Porsche and Audi LMP1 Testing at Sebring

Too bad we can't see these LMP1 cars replace the new F1 cars in F1. F1 has the better format for fans & viewers with only one driver with each car, so we get to add the driver's personality and the overall appearance of the driver into the whole drama scenario of the race. And the much shorter races seem to be able to maintain the interests of a much larger, world wide audience. But its the LMP1 that easily has the coolest cars with the greatest WOW factor.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thanks for the sneak peak. Too bad the LMP1's won't be running the race. :(

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Yep, but where else to put it? I always thought this whole part of the forum was for old model classic race cars; not modern. But I'm good with modern, and I guess we move all F1 and other race stuff to this part of the forum?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Cool stuff! That's an amazing insider view into the workings of racing sport inside of VW.

Porsche could've been forced into F1 if Audi had blocked Le Mans

Porsche could've been forced into F1 if Audi had blocked Le Mans - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com

Porsche "would have had no other alternative" but to enter Formula 1 if its parent company had prevented it from taking on stablemate Audi at Le Mans, it has revealed.

Porsche research and development boss Wolfgang Hatz admits in this week's AUTOSPORT magazine that F1 and a return to the front of the sportscar grid in LMP1 were the only options when it was deciding how to go back to what he describes as "front-line motorsport" for the first time since the 1990s.

Incoming Porsche chairman Matthias Muller and other senior company personnel openly talked about a F1 return in autumn 2010 at a time when it was in the process of making its decision.

More Porsche 919 shots in the AUTOSPORT gallery

Hatz explained that it would have had to compete in F1 if the Volkswagen Group, which bought into Porsche in 2009, had blocked its first attempt to win the Le Mans 24 Hours since its 16th victory in 1998.

"There were only two options - F1 or LMP," he said. "But Le Mans is our second home.

"What could have influenced it was if someone in the group had said 'Yes, but Audi is there and you cannot compete with Audi'.

"If someone from senior management had said this is not possible, we would have had no other alternative [but F1]."

Porsche is committed to racing its new 919 Hybrid in the World Endurance Championship, a programme announced in June 2011, for the next three seasons.

Hatz said that a decision on its motorsport future beyond that would likely be made sometime next year.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts