Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Toyota kicked some very royal German arse today in P1! Must admit that I enjoy this racing much more than F1. The P1 & P2 cars look so much more cool, and then the GT class let us watch the fastest and newest Porsche 911 RSR cars battle the best Ferrari 458's head to head, factory cars vs factory cars, hour after hour. How can you beat that?
:banana:

FIA WEC LIVE.jpg

FIA WEC 2014 LMP1-H cars:
- Audi R18 e-tron quattro
- Porsche 919 Hybrid
- Toyota TS040 Hybrid

·
Registered
708 Posts
While every, your truly included, was assuming this would be an intramural battle Toyota has quietly gone about the business of winning.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yes I am surprised. As a long time Audi LM fan, I was very impressed by Porsche's entry last race at Silverstone. However, while Audi and Porsche battle for the minor places, Toyota is winning. Not a force to be ignored. They have won LM in the past, to to make sure Audi's dominance was not absolute. This year's edition should be FUN!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
so what were the gremlins that struck... I saw one standing mid-race with the 919 in the lead.. then all of a sudden, it was listed as "out". ?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd like to know too. Porsche's PR machine doesn't like to share info. I'm still waiting to find out what caused the wheel to fly off during the last race.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Toyota earned back-to-back FIA World Endurance Championship victories with a commanding win in Saturday’s Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps.

Nicolas Lapierre took the No. 8 Toyota TS040 Hybrid to a 1 minute and 13-second victory over Loic Duval’s No. 1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro, in a race that saw an early challenge from Porsche until both of the 919 Hybrids ran into trouble.

Audi, meanwhile, struggled in the early stages but showed encouraging moments in the second half. But it wasn’t enough to derail the Japanese manufacturer from another near-perfect run, in the dress rehearsal to next month’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Lapierre shared the winning Toyota with Anthony Davidson and Sebastien Buemi, whose middle stint solidified their advantage, just as the remaining contending Porsche faltered.

While the No. 14 Porsche stretched out into an early lead, the Neel Jani, Marc Lieb and Romain Dumas-driven entry lost its advantage by the second hour due to Lieb stalling the car in the pits, which propelled Buemi to the lead.

The real trouble, however, struck with two-and-a-half hours to go when Dumas slowed on track with electrical issues. With the guidance of his crew, the Frenchman managed to solve the glitch on-board but dropped from second to fourth as a result and crucially one lap behind.

Porsche’s misfortunes opened up the door for the No. 1 Audi, which along with its sister diesel-powered prototypes, struggled for speed and fuel mileage, to finish second in the hands of Duval, Tom Kristensen and Lucas di Grassi.

Duval held off a hard-charging Stephane Sarrazin to deny another Toyota 1-2 finish, with the Frenchman and co-drivers Alex Wurz and Kazuki Nakajima completing the podium in third. The No. 7 Toyota, which struggled with oversteer, lost time in the third hour when it attempted to double-stint its Michelin tires.

The No. 14 Porsche came home in fourth, ahead of the No. 2 Audi in fifth, which along with their FIA WEC season-long sister car, managed to double-stint early.

Porsche’s No. 20 entry, meanwhile, hit suspension trouble early and made repeated trips to the garage with related issues, resulting in a 23rd place finish overall.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
thanks for the blog/news report... sheds some light on the challenges of the race. While the Porsche team is new and has made good progress... the Toyota team has more experience as a team, I think their car (Hybird) is new --- is this true?? If so, it puts them a bit ahead of our favorite Porsches. I guess it is a complexity issue also -- keep reading that the 919 is very complex. The good thing is that it did show "speed" in qualifying and early in the race. That is a good jumping off point for LaSarte...
will be interesting..
D

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

Porsche definitely have put themselves in as favorites (for Le Mans), even though Toyota has clearly won the first two races.

Debrief of WEC 6hr SPA race with Audi race driver, KRISTENSEN:

... We (Audi) were there with a car with the Le Mans aero package (the sister No. 3 Audi) and these even had no chance in the straight as well, particularly to the Porsche, which is a rocket ship.

I would say that they ( Porsche) are in a different class. When they don’t have any reliability problems, they’d win easily. Porsche definitely have put themselves in as favorites, even though Toyota has clearly won the first two races.

.... Going into Le Mans, it’s clear that we (Audi) are not favorites. You have to look at Porsche and Toyota. One had pole and the other won at Spa.
KRISTENSEN: Spa Debrief - Sportscar365

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

Romain Dumas begins a new challenge in his career with the arrival of the Porsche 919 Hybrid. (En Français)

The longtime Porsche factory pilot was one of the first drivers confirmed in the new works LMP1 program, alongside Timo Bernhard, although the longtime co-drivers are in separate cars this year.

While Dumas and co-drivers Marc Lieb and Neel Jani had a difficult debut outing at Silverstone, last weekend’s FIA WEC Six Hours of Spa-Francorchamps saw the No. 14 Porsche claim pole and lead the early laps until dropping back with an electrical gremlin.

Endurance-Info caught up with Dumas to get his thoughts on the first two races and the progress made with the all-new prototype contender.

Has the season meet your expectations?

“For us, every six-hour race is a new beginning. At Spa, our objective was to see the amount of tire degradation after the first stint. We expected to suffer a bit more with this than others. In practice, I was able to run lap times in the 2:02 range for 14 consecutive laps.

“We had the same car at Silverstone. The front hub has been changed due to the problem in England and the transmission has been reworked.”

Is the car fun to drive?

“We still have to improve. At Spa, the objective was for both of the 919 Hybrids to finish, which we did. Porsche takes the LMP1 program very seriously.

“Matthias Mueller, the President of Porsche, was there to monitor the progress of the cars. He had breakfast at the hotel with the technical staff of the team. There is a real commitment and a real desire to do well.”

How is the chemistry within the organization?

“There was a fear a year and a half [ago] but that is now dissipated. The reaction to make things happen is there. It’s not important to look at what Toyota and Audi are doing. The objective was clear from the start: to finish races.

“Porsche’s big strength is its responsiveness. I experienced this at Penske. There are not dozens of stakeholders taking into account the drivers’ opinions. Many of the staff came from Formula One. Since then, the attitudes have changed.”

We can see that the Porsche has very good speed…

“The 919 Hybrid is very quick in a straight line, which makes overtaking easier. It was the case with Audi over the Porsche RS Spyder in the U.S.

“Everyone expects Porsche to do well but for now we have to finish races and not forget the problems that both Toyota and Peugeot had in their programs’ infancy.”

Were you pleased with your performance at Spa?

“I’m glad I was able to complete my first race with the Porsche 919 Hybrid. Unfortunately, we had an electrical problem when I was on-track. It cost us a podium finish.

“At the end of the race, it was clear that we could not double stint the tires, but maybe do a stint and a half with a splash and dash at the end.”

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Found the Spa race in it's entirety on YouTube, broken into 3 - 2 hour clips.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A4jvMbIBA3U
"This video has been removed by the user." %$#%! I guess there is no way to watch this race in the US other than the live stream from the WEC website during the race.

I did find the entire Silverstone race on YouTube with some pretty jerky video but still watchable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKtVkg8xycY

I think this is some kind of bootleg recorded from a live stream on someone's home computer. I think that person has too slow Internet access leading to the jerky video - the jerkiness seems to be in his recording.

I still wish I could find high-quality, sanctioned race archives for the WEC races similar to what IMSA provides for their Sports Car Endurance Races.

I was at the IMSA race at Laguna Seca on May 3, 4 and two representatives from PCNA were at the PCA corral tent. I pulled one aside and asked why Porsche would spend millions to develop and race an LMP1 car presumably mostly to promote Porsche sales but then we cannot watch the races in their largest market. He just agreed and said something about the media department and rights.

The good news is that during the Fox broadcast of the IMSA PC/GTD race at Laguna, the Fox announcers announced that the entire 2014 Le Mans race will be covered on a combination of Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. So, I need to get a lot of space freed up on the DVR for that. On Dish, Fox Sports 2 is not HD, so those parts will require less space on the DVR drive.

Still it would be nice to see all the complete races.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Wishing the 919's luck in this years final WEC race in Brazil today. Qualifying 1 & 2 keeps my hope up.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts