Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that I should have had my windshield covered with a film product. The reason I say this is because I have a few very minor imperfections that are bugging the hell out of me. I tell myself it's no big deal and try to ignore them, but when I drive in the sun or wash the car they become fully exposed.

Has anyone tried to polish this by hand with a machine or hire someone to correct them? It seems plausible that they might become almost unnoticeable because of how few there are and how tiny they appear.
Mine are the size of a couple of grains of sand.

I used the advanced search function and found several mentions of products, but no mention of someone who actually tried to remove or make them less noticeable.

Has any one here tried this method of know of a another method or product I should try?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
This has nothing to do with porsche windshield qaulity...but rather normal wear and you probably tailgating at high speeds, where tires kick up tiny rocks that sandblast plastic and glass, leaving pits. Porsche windshield quality is superior to my other cars...no wierd wavy glass looking at an angle.

All windshields get this way after use. I would ignore it...can't see the imprefections unless driving at the sun and just cleaned the glass (dirt helps to blend things). In fact, windshields are designed from softer glass intentionally so it gets tiny nicks (like plastic) instead of cracks andd shatter (like tempered glass).

There is no real way to prevent this from happening short of not driving. Windshield film is noticable hazy to look though, lasts less than 6 months, and costs 350. To lessen impact, keep a good distance when following (higher speed, more distance).

There is no real way to fix it. Glass polish will not take out the pits because they are too deep. If polish enough to get down to the pits, you'll get an ugly windshield with wavy glass. Only option is to replace the windshield only for the same thing to happen.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,746 Posts
My fix is to replace the windshield every 4 years. Check your insurance policy to see if you have glass coverage. A normal OEM windshield will run around $900. I pay a $100 deductible to replace mine.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
The ClearPlex plastic works if you're doing a lot of DE's, and the nighttime distortion may not matter as much. O/w, Dave's approach is the best one to go with.

John

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, I got a couple of tiny pits too... happens to all cars... key is to stay back from other cars. But it is a car, and driving a car means it will get pits.

Clearplex looks interesting. Just spoke to this guy. $265 for the Cayman (includes installation kit)

Nice install video

ClearPlex Windshield Kit Installation Guide - YouTube

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
This has nothing to do with porsche windshield qaulity...but rather normal wear and you probably tailgating at high speed....
I disagree. My windshield shows "wear and tear" much easier/sooner than previous cars. I do not tailgate at any speed, and have way more imperfections than any other previous car with only 5K miles, and never seeing winter. I am not concluding that the glass is inferior, but wonder if this may be a result of the airflow that is created by the shape and height of the front end.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No tailgating at high speeds here.
I do have the X-73 suspension and the car can not get much lower to the ground. I also live in NJ and we have lots of crap (lack of a better word) everywhere.

I do not remember other cars having this issue with only 6 months of driving.

This has nothing to do with porsche windshield qaulity...but rather normal wear and you probably tailgating at high speeds, where tires kick up tiny rocks that sandblast plastic and glass, leaving pits. Porsche windshield quality is superior to my other cars...no wierd wavy glass looking at an angle.

All windshields get this way after use. I would ignore it...can't see the imprefections unless driving at the sun and just cleaned the glass (dirt helps to blend things). In fact, windshields are designed from softer glass intentionally so it gets tiny nicks (like plastic) instead of cracks andd shatter (like tempered glass).

There is no real way to prevent this from happening short of not driving. Windshield film is noticable hazy to look though, lasts less than 6 months, and costs 350. To lessen impact, keep a good distance when following (higher speed, more distance).

There is no real way to fix it. Glass polish will not take out the pits because they are too deep. If polish enough to get down to the pits, you'll get an ugly windshield with wavy glass. Only option is to replace the windshield only for the same thing to happen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd have to say that, not unlike their paints, Porsche's windshields are pretty soft and do pit more easily than other makes' windshields. I have tried glass polish on a random orbital several times over the years but have had no success removing the pits. I wouldn't waste the time or money trying to remove them. I just try to do my best to literally look past/beyond them.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've noticed more pitting than any other sports car I've owned. Something with Porsche's glass formula seems to produce softer glass? (If that's possible?) Who makes glass for Porsche's OEM windshield? Is it just a German thing? BMW? MB?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I've noticed more pitting than any other sports car I've owned. Something with Porsche's glass formula seems to produce softer glass? (If that's possible?) Who makes glass for Porsche's OEM windshield? Is it just a German thing? BMW? MB?
Our MB windshield gets pitted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think that the Porsche windshields are as good as any. But I think what happens is that we clean them much more often, and even if we use a soft micro-fiber cloth, sometimes a small grain of sand or other hard spec, and this can cause small pits and scratches. Thats happened to me. Small, and most people wouldn't notice it, but there it is. I try to use it to combat my "Porsche Obsessive Control Disorder" that is so easy to catch.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Soft or harder by any percentage, it's going to pit and chip because sand will ways have more hardness. As pointed out, the car is lower to the ground doesn't help.

Again, all cars get this and I challenge you to find one that doesn't. Most people actually never notice or pay attention. Some people only realize years later and it never bothered them prior. My dad actually blamed me when I was a kid for this on his Infiniti. He inspected his car after I used the weed eater nearby to discover the pits. He swore it was due to the weed eater and not 45k miles of aggressive driving. He later inspected closer to see the thousands of pits and realized it definitely something that occurred over time. For 45k miles and 3 years he never noticed...

PS, using ice scrapers or windshield cleaners with grit will leave faint scratchs too. Those gas station windshield cleaner stands usually have grit in them because mostly trashy cars use them...they can leave marks too.

I have polished a previous car's windshield and my best advice is don't even try it...it works so slow that it takes literally hours going at the fastest rpm to get rid of the tiniest swirl mark...not to mention the compound is really expensive and goes fast. You have apply equal time/pressure to each inch of glass or you get optical waving...it's not possible to not get waves because no one is perfect. There are machines that are better though.

Clearplex windshield film is hazy to look through, scratches easy (wipers will do it), and gets worse after time. Good luck being able to keep it past 6 months in a daily driver. Maybe okay for a garage queen.

The best option is to ignore it or wait for a rock to do real visible damage and get insurance to replace it. Personally, I would let it naturally get the pitted look and then you don't care about more pits...the glass gets a metallic texture and everything blends in. Replacing windshields is also never prefect..usually you aren't getting a real oem replacement...it's an badged oem "replacement" made by aftermarket. Factory seal is also superior to the replacement, which will have tiny air leaks.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the advice.
I will not attempt to polish it. I hear you. My windshield will look like the ocean by the time i get done. I am not usually good a having a feel for something like this.

I guess I will live with and do what you and another person said. Just wait for that giant rock to fly out of a NJ dump truck on RT 287 and put a nice crack in it And most importantly remember not to get upset and instead be happy that my new windshield is waiting.

Soft or harder by any percentage, it's going to pit and chip because sand will ways have more hardness. As pointed out, the car is lower to the ground doesn't help.

Again, all cars get this and I challenge you to find one that doesn't. Most people actually never notice or pay attention. Some people only realize years later and it never bothered them prior. My dad actually blamed me when I was a kid for this on his Infiniti. He inspected his car after I used the weed eater nearby to discover the pits. He swore it was due to the weed eater and not 45k miles of aggressive driving. He later inspected closer to see the thousands of pits and realized it definitely something that occurred over time. For 45k miles and 3 years he never noticed...

PS, using ice scrapers or windshield cleaners with grit will leave faint scratchs too. Those gas station windshield cleaner stands usually have grit in them because mostly trashy cars use them...they can leave marks too.

I have polished a previous car's windshield and my best advice is don't even try it...it works so slow that it takes literally hours going at the fastest rpm to get rid of the tiniest swirl mark...not to mention the compound is really expensive and goes fast. You have apply equal time/pressure to each inch of glass or you get optical waving...it's not possible to not get waves because no one is perfect. There are machines that are better though.

Clearplex windshield film is hazy to look through, scratches easy (wipers will do it), and gets worse after time. Good luck being able to keep it past 6 months in a daily driver. Maybe okay for a garage queen.

The best option is to ignore it or wait for a rock to do real visible damage and get insurance to replace it. Personally, I would let it naturally get the pitted look and then you don't care about more pits...the glass gets a metallic texture and everything blends in. Replacing windshields is also never prefect..usually you aren't getting a real oem replacement...it's an badged oem "replacement" made by aftermarket. Factory seal is also superior to the replacement, which will have tiny air leaks.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I disagree. My windshield shows "wear and tear" much easier/sooner than previous cars. I do not tailgate at any speed, and have way more imperfections than any other previous car with only 5K miles, and never seeing winter. I am not concluding that the glass is inferior, but wonder if this may be a result of the airflow that is created by the shape and height of the front end.
Kraut and minthral:

I have to agree with Kraut. I replaced my glass because it was getting so bad. The guy did a perfect job and put original glass in. Apparently there is no US replacement glass, which I wouldn't have gotten. Now the replacement glass is starting to pit after less than 10K. I don't tailgate at high speed! I think it's the softer Euro-spec glass combined with the steep windshield angle and the hood angle that sweeps everything at the windshield.

Not sure if it's just the glass or the combo, but if someone made a US replacement glass, I'd get it next time.

:cheers:

Reactions: Kindrunnermike
1 - 16 of 16 Posts