Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
34,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/2015-24-heures-du-mans--aca-1524a-dsc-9913_n.jpg Rain threatened near the end of the twice around the clock endurance classic, but it didn't dampen the resolve of the No. 19 Porsche Team 919 Hybrid shared by Earl Bamber, Nick Tandy and Nico Hülkenberg who took victory for Porsche. It was the first Le Mans win for all three drivers, while Bamber and Hülkenberg were both rookies!

Their sister car, the No. 17 wheeled by Mark Webber, Timo Bernhard and Brendon Hartley were right behind them in second. Audi still made the podium; defending race winners Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer were third in the No. 7 Audi Sport Team Joest Audi R18 e-tron quattro.

After a dominating performance, the No. 47 KCMG Oreca 05 - Nissan piloted by Matthew Howson, Richard Bradley and Nicolas Lapierre win the LM P2 category. It is the first win for a Chinese team at the legendary Le Mans race. The defending race winners, No. 38 Jota Sport and their Gibson 015S - Nissan driven by Simon Dolan, Mitch Evans and Oliver Turvey, crossed the line in second. G-Drive Racing's No. 26 Ligier JS P2 - Nissan was third with teammates Roman Rusinov, Julien Canal and Sam Bird.

The train horn blared as the No. 64 Corvette Racing C7.R driven by Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Jordan Taylor crossed the finish line at the head of the LM GTE Pro field. Ferraris completed the podium. The No. 71 AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia finished second in the hands of Davide Rigon, James Calado and Olivier Beretta. The No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia belonging to Gianmaria Bruni, Toni Vilander and Giancarlo Fisichella was third.

It seems there's always a heartbreak in the closing hour at Le Mans and this year that moment belonged to the No. 98 Aston Martin Racing Vantage, which had led the LM GTE Am class for the majority of the race. On the out lap, after his final pit stop, driver Paul Dalla Lana crashed heavily into the wall at the Ford Chicane, ending that team's day 45 minutes before the finish.

As a result, the No. 72 SMP Racing Ferrari 458 Italia of Victor Shaytar, Andrea Bertolini and Aleksei Basov took the win. They were followed by a fan favorite: the No. 77 Dempsey-Proton Racing Porsche 911 RSR driven by Patrick Long, Marco Seefried and former Grey's Anatomy star Patrick Dempsey who finally gets the Le Mans podium he so desperately desired. The all-American team, No. 62 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia driven by Jeff Segal, Townsend Bell and Bill Sweedler finished third.

Erin Cechal / ACO

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Porsche wins the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans

Filed under: Aston Martin, Audi, Chevrolet, Nissan, Porsche, Europe, Racing
Porsche takes overall honors at this year's 24 Hour of LeMans. The victory is the brand's first win since 1998, ending Audi's five-year streak.Continue reading Porsche wins the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans
Porsche wins the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 14 Jun 2015 09:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
[h=6][/h]Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: Porsche wins the 2015 24 Hours of Le Mans

Let's hope the success of the "V4 Turbo" engine doesn't translates into the end of the great "Boxer Six" which is living with us for so many good years... :kiss:

Cheers, :beer:

·
Registered
271 Posts

Would have been nice to have a spoiler notice. I knew who one before I had a chance to watch the finish!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

And, this was at least the 3rd thread on the same topic. As others suggest for other subjects........a search before starting a new thread is probably a good thought.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

And, this was at least the 3rd thread on the same topic. As others suggest for other subjects........a search before starting a new thread is probably a good thought.
LOL. It was started by a "bot" not a person. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts

dont forget our main man, patrick dempsy. in the tradition of paul newman and steve mcqueen. gentleman racer but the real deal!

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

I think the real deal there was Patrick Long, not taking anything away from P. Dempsey, and no disrespect, but I'd say Paul Newman and specially McQueen were more accomplished racers, like I said not disrespect!

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

Paul Newman won titles outright as a driver. But to be fair to Dempsey.....Newman was anything but stellar when he first started out.......learned his craft and made himself into the superb driver that he was. For the relative short length of time, Dempsey has acquitted himself rather well. He is taking this very seriously and putting in the time and effort just like Newman who he offers up as his role model in interviews of the past.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts

dont forget our main man, patrick dempsy. in the tradition of paul newman and steve mcqueen. gentleman racer but the real deal!
Wow. He must really like Porsches too...

"With his first pay cheque he bought a 1963 356 Porsche convertible for under $10,000. “It was a bargain but my biggest emotional investment,” he says. His enthusiasm for the car was such that ten years ago his future wife Jill, bought him a three-day driving experience and he was hooked; but with rather unforseen consequences. A decade on, with painful irony, his wife is divorcing him, reportedly because of his obsession with motor racing."

Quote from Patrick Dempsey: "100 per cent focused on driving" - Telegraph

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

Let's hope the success of the "V4 Turbo" engine doesn't translates into the end of the great "Boxer Six" which is living with us for so many good years... :kiss:

Cheers, :beer:

Look at BMW, Porsche is going to be going the same direction. The Global Warming croud is very strong in Europe. It is not "if" its "when"

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

I was at our local Audi dealer this morning with my wife getitng her A3 serviced. I could have sworn there was black crepe draped over the door. I was gracious, though, my Porsche shirt may have been a bit disingenuous :).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Since Newman is mentioned, let me say I loved the new documentary, "Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman." Rents for $4.99 on ITunes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts

I was at our local Audi dealer this morning with my wife getitng her A3 serviced. I could have sworn there was black crepe draped over the door. I was gracious, though, my Porsche shirt may have been a bit disingenuous :).
I guess its a good thing they try and equalize the diesels against the gas engines ala NASCAR otherwise Audi would still be way to dominating. Back to Can-Am...let them race!

·
Registered
311 Posts

Look at BMW, Porsche is going to be going the same direction. The Global Warming croud is very strong in Europe. It is not "if" its "when"

Cheers
I don't see myself buying a "4 Cylinder Porsche", even if it performs better than their Boxer Six siblings! ;)
It may even be good news - I already was decided to keep my actual BS forever - So really not a problem! :dance:

Cheers,:beer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts