Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a screw puncture in my other car so I plugged it and used my 981's air compressor to refill the tire. It only ran for 3...4 minutes max and I got to about 25psi when the compressor conked out. I let it cool down and it still won't turn on. What a worthless piece of...

:confused:Does this constitute as a Warranty Item?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Are you sure you didn't just blow the fuse? I've read several instances of that happening, so I replaced the factory compressor with a DynaPlug one (a bit smaller, but also with a fan), that left space for a wheel stud and a 3mil garbage bag on the factory location. Oh, and it has a SAE connector that I can connect to my battery charger pigtail (connected directly to the battery). If it crapped out, what a POS. But I have to say it looks sturdy from the outside, and it's German-made, so surprising. And yes, it has to be covered by warranty... if you still have it. Please let us know if it crapped out, or was just your fuse. Thx.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A few backs I got a puncture that I could only partially seal so I was forced to fill the tire with the Porsche portable air pump every few miles until I got to a tire shop and the pump worked flawlessly. I have no complaints with it at all.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I should add that I've used this air compressor before to top off the tires on my 981. This is probably the third time Ive used it.

I was about to tear it apart and check the fuse, but I called my dealership and they said it is a warranty item. Will let them replace the fuse or get me a new one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be a battery charge issue. The compressor draws a lot of current. Was your engine running when the compressor stopped working?
Thats funny you mention that. The first two times I've used it, I had the engine off. This time, I had the engine on.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Mine has worked flawlessly on three occasions.

OP: Let us know what the dealership finds out.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thats funny you mention that. The first two times I've used it, I had the engine off. This time, I had the engine on.
Depending on a lot of different things, it may have suffered from excess voltage with the engine on. Compressors designed to see 12V might be under a lot more stress with a modern charging system putting upwards of 15V into an AGM battery.

Of course that shouldn't be a problem, but nobody at Porsche designed the tire compressor. They just OEM'ed the same cheap Chinesium model that Harbor Freight was selling at the time your car was built.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I was about to tear it apart and check the fuse
I meant the car's fuse;). But have read it depends which outlet you use. Reportedly, the optional console lighter (smoking package) has the highest rating, but my guess is all 3 outlets (inside the console lid and on the passenger foothole) use the same circuit, meaning just one fuse (probably 15A). And yes, always use it with the engine running. You wouldn't want to inflate your tire, only to end up stranded anyway. That's why I bought the DynaPlug with a SAE plug, but you could always buy an adapter with alligator clips for the battery with a cigarette lighter socket, in case car's fuse blows up. I might do that and put the factory compressor back in place. I need to do a test with both and decide which one seems like the better option. Also to make sure both can reach all tires without issue.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I meant the car's fuse;). But have read it depends which outlet you use. Reportedly, the optional console lighter (smoking package) has the highest rating, but my guess is all 3 outlets (inside the console lid and on the passenger foothole) use the same circuit, meaning just one fuse (probably 15A). And yes, always use it with the engine running. You wouldn't want to inflate your tire, only to end up stranded anyway. That's why I bought the DynaPlug with a SAE plug, but you could always buy an adapter with alligator clips for the battery with a cigarette lighter socket, in case car's fuse blows up. I might do that and put the factory compressor back in place. I need to do a test with both and decide which one seems like the better option. Also to make sure both can reach all tires without issue.
This is your friend.
https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=3319321...17182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1219248192305&chn=ps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Reactions: cobby

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone please confirm which 12V socket one should use the air compressor with? I do not have the smoking package thus I only have a socket in the glove box and one in the middle arm rest compartment.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can anyone please confirm which 12V socket one should use the air compressor with? I do not have the smoking package thus I only have a socket in the glove box and one in the middle arm rest compartment.
And the one in the passenger footwell on the side of the center console.

I use the one in the armrest compartment, but just for convenience.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the air compressor that came with my car, but I noticed it was a lot noisier than the model I had from Sears that was a similar size. I've used it with my car and an SUV.
I use one of the five gallon air tanks (Sears.com) for topping up tires at home.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think that the one in the armrest is synonymous with the smoker's package one. I think that I read somewhere that the air pump should be plugged ONLY into the smokers outlet as the others don't permit enough current draw. I always used that one with no issues.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I think that the one in the armrest is synonymous with the smoker's package one. I think that I read somewhere that the air pump should be plugged ONLY into the smokers outlet as the others don't permit enough current draw. I always used that one with no issues.
Except that lots of cars don't have the smoking outlet. I don't think Porsche would make a mistake like that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.