Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
1) What is the difference between the racer (who you know face to face?) and forum recommendations.
2) Pads/brakes have been discussed on here.

· Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Though one should be wary the internet search............try searching Porterfield...........there are some interesting comments including one from a reputable performance parts provider I have used in the past for some previously owned Audis and VW GTIs. Just another POV.

· Premium Member
411 Posts
I have used the performance street version of Porterfield pads on a few different cars. Last car I had them on was a 987S Boxster. I'm not an aggressive driver on the track so I can't really comment on how they hold up on with loads of track time. What I can say is they provided better braking than the stock Porsche pads, but not as well as Pagid Blues. Also they dust more than stock pads and the dust color is a dark brown.

Mike C.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had an absolute ball at Laguna Seca. It was a pro event, with the Pirelli GT3 Cup races...105db sound limits...the whole deal. And those cars are beautiful - each at least half a mil and full teams, pouring over the cars! Really fun (and won my class both days).

The Porterfield pads were....ok. I was pushing them pretty hard (that track is Gas!!Brake!!Gas!!Brake!!), and they mostly held up - although the pedal felt a bit mushy and a little inconsistent at transitional entrances, like top of the corkscrew. And faded a bit sometimes when pushed hard (flat-out turn 1 and deep dive into turn 2). They never did anything evil, but I never trusted completely. I can certainly work with 'em, but I'll try others at future events.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

· Premium Member
411 Posts
Hi Johneecatt,
Congratulations on your two class wins at Laguna Seca! Not an easy track to win at.

While you are certainly driving your car more aggressively than I did with my 987S Boxster, you seen to be following the same brake pad trail I did when I was DE'ing my car. I went from the stock pads to Porterfield R4-S. I then decided to finally pull the trigger/make the expense and try Pagid pads. I wanted something that was not a race pad, and conceivably be an ok pad for a weekend car (not super dusty and not very noisy). Most people recommended Pagid Orange (RS4-4), but I decided to go with the Blues (RS4-2) as they were slightly better on lower temperatures. If you look at the charts of these pads, the Blue and Orange have very similar coefficients of friction. Blues work better cold and Oranges better at high temps. Both are around the same price (approx. $400 per set).

I purchased the Blues, did about 6 DE sessions with them and was very impressed. The stopping power was significantly better than that Porterfields, almost as good as the PCCB brakes I had on my other Porsche. On the street they are a bit noisy and dust a bit more than the Porterfields. I would not consider using them on a daily driver car, but maybe for a weekend/track day car.

I just sent you a PM about these pads.

· Registered
728 Posts
I met Andy Porterfield at Buttonwillow about two years before he passed away . He was a great guy who at 72 he was still racing a bad *** Camaro with a nascar engine. He ran a 124 lap at Big Willow. He turned me on to Raybestos race pads ST43s and 42s. He told me next time you order ask for the FOA discount. FOA stood for Friend of Andy the next time i ordered i said Andy said to ask for the FOA discount and they gave me 10%off. He was a very nice guy sorry hes gone .carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.