Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking through the tech inspection checklist for my track event next weekend and one of the items is "positive terminal of battery covered".

Well, there doesn't appear to be one on my Cayman. Do they come with a cover normally? Given that the battery isn't in the engine compartment I'm thinking that it really isn't that important.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
No, it's not a big deal anymore on the late model cars, but some track-tech folks still want it - if they do, you can just wrap some gaffer (duct) tape over the terminal.

brad

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Today while examining the battery in LG to assess adding wires for my off season trickle charger, I was stuck by the fact that the (+) Battery Terminal DOES NOT have :eek: a protective cover (usually red) required by law IIRC on all such terminal of batteries with any measureable AMPHR capacity.

View attachment 32789

My understanding is such a terminal cover is required on all but those batteries housed in individual single battery boxes with attached lids. The blk plastic cover that is the over the full set of mechanicals in the frunk of 981s would IMO not meet this exception. Maybe Porsche sees it otherwise. Lawsuit waiting to happen though.

SO what say you other 981 owners as to this issue :gossip:: Are other 981s worldwide similar and without the noted terminal cover or is LG unique? Posts above from 09 would suggest its common on such older vintages but I would suggest not SO for MOST CARS sold IN USA. I have never owned a domestic of foreign car in the last 30 yrs without a covered (+) Terminal.

Also would disagree that an uncovered terminal is NO BIG deal. And that batteries that are often no longer in engine compartment make the hazard moot is to me irrelevant aka the accidental grounding of (+) terminal and the safety issues that would ensue.

IMO this is a serious safety issue - i.e., the unplanned grounding to the chassis. Recently I saw such an incident with an aluminum hull vessel - not pretty with individual burned by localized flames/sparks. IMO this is a PCNA problem worthy of a REAL lawsuit. I will inquire/email PCNA as to their view/understanding thereof this issue - but I expect the same mushroom type answer, if any at all, as in past. :(

Given that the PCNA lawyers seem so diligent in their protection of 981B owners (PCNA) from SPCA lawsuits for fear that we open/close the top via the fob while some cat sits thereon :hilarious::hilarious: (no offense to cat lovers) or some other off the wall safety issue, it is indeed IMHO amazing and surprising that the battery terminal goes uncovered/unprotected.

I will be adding a RED cover when I hard wire (+) terminal for my charger.;)

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Calling Henny Penny ... :)

Unless LG is a boat, covers are not required.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For DEs our local PCA chapter checks that the battery terminal is covered as part of tech inspection, and they have a roll of red electrical tape on hand to apply to it if not. I asked about the practice this weekend at our chapter's DE at Gigerman Raceway and was told that it's a concern that in a rollover the plastic battery cover could be dislodged, allowing the positive terminal to come in touch with the hood.

In a similar vein - my employer offers household battery recycling, and they have a bucket at the cafeteria entrance where you can dump old flashlight batteries and the like. There's a sign on the bucket that says you must apply tape to the battery terminals before putiing them in the bucket, but almost no one does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts